PDA

View Full Version : What are the first steps

Maud Jarvis
06-07-2008, 4:05 PM
I have recently discovered that my paternal grandfather (he died before I was born)
had been a soldier, however, I have no clues as to which regiment he may have been in.
How can I go about finding this out. He lived in Greenock Scotland,and may possibly have joined a Scottish regiment.( I also believe he could have been in the Boer War)

I know there was a list somewhere on the internet, possibly the Nat Archives, I remember sme years ago finding anancestor on it and where his records were held (at Kew) but I was able to see his name and which regiment he was in. Because it was a number of years ago I have now forgotten how I found this list.He had been a soldier in the 1700s.

Does ayone know of this source?

Jan1954
06-07-2008, 4:25 PM
Hello Maud,

Have you checked the National Archives Army Discharge Papers (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=14)?

Maud Jarvis
06-07-2008, 5:16 PM
I have not yet tried that, if anything on line I will look, if not. I will ask my son to go to Kw for me, thanks.

daggers
07-07-2008, 8:37 AM
Have you tried the National Archives 'Documents Online' site? You can check by name for WW1 medal entitlement, foe which the index is free. If you find an entry for your man you can then download the medal index card for £3.50. Another way of getting the same is via Anc...y where most of the same cards are available, in colour, and both sides visible.
If he died of wounds or was killed in action, he will be recorded by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, also online, free.
Some soldiers records have survived at Kew, but not all. Some of those are also available on Anc...y
Daggers

Maud Jarvis
20-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Thank you for your reply.
My grandfather died in 1913 and was therefore not a soldier in the war
Possibly he was involved in the Boer War, but I do not know where to look for details of soldiers who fought in that war

leamington
02-09-2008, 5:29 PM
Maud, as he was discharged before 1913 his papers should be at the National Archives in document series WO97. Go to the NA website, click to search the Catalogue. Enter his surname, WO97 and a date range of about 1870-1910 and see what comes up. If he's listed, you'll need either to go to Kew to obtain a copy of hire someone to do it for you. These records are not online.

leamington
02-09-2008, 5:30 PM
I should also say that once you have his number and regiment, the Boer War medal rolls (for the Queen's and King's South Africa medals) are also at Kew. They are on microfilm and organised by regiment.

Maud Jarvis
10-09-2008, 2:55 PM
Thank you for these helpful replies. Much appreciated.