PDA

View Full Version : Rodger(s) Family

mistylincs
06-07-2008, 2:39 PM
My Great Grandfather was WILLIAM RODGER(S) born in Fife in 1844 and that is all I know and have come up against a brick Wall. He married HARRIET TIDMARSH of Little Compton Gloucs in 1866. They were both School Teachers, teaching at Harmston School near Lincoln. I haven't found his birth or any of his childhood, how did he get from Scotland to Gloucestershire, what schooling did he have? His Father was a Blacksmith. WILLIAM (junior) ended his life as a farmer near Boston in Lincolnshire. I hope I have done this right it is my first message

Jan1954
06-07-2008, 3:03 PM
Hello and welcome! |wave|

Do you have their marriage certificate? If not, it may be ordered from the GRO (http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/) with the following reference:

Jan to Mar 1866
Chipping Norton District
Volume 3a
Page 731

William RODGERS and Harriet TIDMARSH

The marriage certificate should provide details of William's father and his occupation, which in turn will help to find them in Scotland.

mistylincs
06-07-2008, 5:30 PM
Hi Jan, thanks for your reply. Yes I have Harriet and Williams Marriage Certificate but all it tells me is that William Senior was a Blacksmith. All the census reports for England William always says he is from either Fife or Scotland so you can see me dilema. There are quite a few Roger (s) in Fifeshire but I have no way as yet of sorting them out. Still onwards and upwards as they say.

Lesley Robertson
05-09-2008, 12:26 PM
In your place, I'd search the 1851 census for William jr as a child (when people tended to be most accurate about ages). You might have to look at several families, but you know that you are looking for William so of a blacksmith called William which should help to narrow it down.
The cheapest way to do it would be to treat yourself to a day in Edinburgh, visit GROS and then you'll be able to see all the census returns, baptisms, etc, without paying more than your entry charge. However, you can also search on Scotlands People here http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ . It's a pay as you go site - 6 pounds gets you 30 credits, a search costs 1 credit for every page of results you look at and every certificate of census page cost 5 credits. I've just had a quick look and there's only 6 Williams aged between 6 and 9 in Fife in the 1851. If you're lucky, only 1 of them will be the child of a blacksmith.
Don't forget that BMDs only started in Scotland in 1855, before that you need to look for baptisms.

Lesley

jane.harrison.9
05-09-2008, 1:38 PM
Hi mistylincs,
As registration didn't start in Scotland until 1855 it will have to be a baptsim from the OPR.
I've checked the IGI fo births of William Rogers b 1844 +/- 5yrd Fife.
None 1844.
Only two have come up with father William 1841 Scoonie Fife father William mother Jean
1842 Kilmany Fife father William mother Ann.
If you could find William on 1851 Scotland census with his parents it could help track him down.
Jane.

mistylincs
06-09-2008, 12:02 AM
HI Jane and Lesley,
Thankyou for your input but I think William's mother was Margaret Anstruther the dates tie in and the name of Margaret has been carried down into future generations. I do have another quandry though my family name was Smith Bland and no one new where the Smith came from. Now Margaret's (daughter) mothers name was Margaret Smith and I have found a Principal of Edinburgh University called James Smith and my mother was told by one of my Grandmas that we did have a Principal of Edinburgh University in the family way back so... am I barking up the wrong tree altogether. I am trying to find out more about James Smith he was Principal in 1735 (Professor of Davinity) was appointed moderator of the General Assembly in 1723 and1731 Prior to that he was minister at Morham East Lothian 1706-1712 and then Cramford 1712-1732. I am desperately trying to find out if he was married and if he had a daughter Margaret but it is getting difficult because we are back to the 1600's. Can you find anything more about him, I would be most greatful if you can.

Lesley Robertson
09-09-2008, 8:55 AM
James Smith he was Principal in 1735 (Professor of Davinity) was appointed moderator of the General Assembly in 1723 and1731 Prior to that he was minister at Morham East Lothian 1706-1712 and then Cramford 1712-1732. I am desperately trying to find out if he was married and if he had a daughter Margaret but it is getting difficult because we are back to the 1600's. Can you find anything more about him, I would be most greatful if you can.

Why didn't you say he was a Minister? It's fairly easy to find info on Church of Scotland Ministers, thanks to Fasti.

This seems to be one of his entries in Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae:
From the Parish of West St Giles

1732 JAMES SMITH transferred from Cramond and adm 23 July 1730' app. Professor of Divinity in the Univ. Edinburgh, and dem. 27 April 1732, although several of the "elders and deacons appeared, craving he might be continued, there being no inconsistency in discharging both offices".

This seems to be the same guy, presumably reinstated:

1733 JAMES SMITH tutor in the families of Dalrymple of Cousland and dundas of Arniston; licen. by presb. of Dalkeith 26 Oct 1703; ord. to Morham 24 Sept 1706; trans to Cramond 16 Jan 1712; Moderator of Assembly 1723; Professor of Divinity in the Univ. of edinburgh 1732; trans and readm to this charge 25 July 1733; Principal of the University 12 Oct 1733 (which he had in conjunction); one of His Majesty's chaplains. Died at Coldstream in returning from bristol 14 Aug 1736, in 56th year. He marr. Catherine Oswald, who died 6 Aug 1730 in her 46th year.

It then lists a number of religious publications written by him. No mention of children, which may or may not be significant.

His entry for Morham is very short:

1706 JAMES SMITH called 28 Aug and ord 24 Sept 1706; trans to Cramond 7 Nov 1811. It refers to "Wood's History of Cramond" which might be worth searching for.

Hope that's given you something to get on with.

Lesley

mistylincs
23-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi Lesley,
Am sorry for not getting back here for a while. I would like to thank you for your help though. Maybe I should try to find out more by beginning with Margaret and see if I can get anywhere that way round. Thanks once again you all do a sterling job.
Lesley