PDA

View Full Version : Alfred Macpherson

Witchypoo
06-07-2008, 9:16 AM
|help|
ALFRED MACPHERSON - EMMA JANE GOODWIN.

Can anyone help me with a dilema, my problem is I have been looking for a while now for Alfred Macpherson who married Emma Jane Goodwin, my great aunt. Rumour has it Alfred was in the Navy, the only records that I can find is of the marriage and of the three children they had. However when Emma passed away in 1923 no further trace of him has been seen. The children was very young.

I have just learned today from a very distant source that Alfred jumped ship .... married in Dover which I can confirm.. but upon Emma's death was deported back to Jamica.

Curiosity has now got the better of me how did she meet him perhaps through the Salvation Army which my family were heavily into and how can I find any records regarding Alfred in Jamaica, did he have another family and what became of him..

His children never saw him again I gathered. What a sad story,|soapbox|

Can any one offer any help. One member of the family recolects that there was a photo of him in uniform but I have never seen it if this is the case

Regards

Witchypoo

Witchypoo
06-07-2008, 9:28 AM
:o I forgot to ask what happens when they jump ship and are deported, can any one advise me.

Regards

Witchypoo

Witchypoo
25-07-2008, 9:37 PM
:confused:

Is there any where where you can find out about deportation records, if so where ...... I am assuming that deportation ment that he was a naulty boy?

Here's hoping someone can help

Regards

Witchypoo |nopity|

bumblebee
26-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Hi Witchypoo

The National Archives hold records for deportations.

Home Office: Immigration and Nationality Department and predecessors: Registers of Deportees

Was Alfred from Jamaica initially? What does it say on his marriage certificate or on the childrens birth certificates. Does it give his rank or what ship he was on, anything that would help you possibly obtain his Navy Records.

Bumblebee

Witchypoo
26-07-2008, 8:12 AM
Hi Witchypoo

The National Archives hold records for deportations.

Home Office: Immigration and Nationality Department and predecessors: Registers of Deportees

Was Alfred from Jamaica initially? What does it say on his marriage certificate or on the childrens birth certificates. Does it give his rank or what ship he was on, anything that would help you possibly obtain his Navy Records.

Bumblebee

HI Bumblebee

I think it is a confusing situation as it appears Alfred was in the Royal Navy apparently serving on HMS Pembroke. If this is beleived this would have been based at Chatham Kent. Then apparently he deserted and his next record on his marriage certificate he regiment is shown as REWR which I presume to be Royal Engineers in War Railway?

In 1918 he got married to Emma Goodwin and this point he was now in the Labour Corps until 1919.

From 1918 to 1923 they lived in Dover until Emma died. After this Alfred was deported. Their three children were sent to Spurgeon Homes in Birchington, Kent.

As for his birth certificate I dont know where he was born. So you can see my problem

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Witchypoo |banghead|