PDA

View Full Version : Kendal lookup?

mandymad
05-07-2008, 2:12 PM
Is anyone going to Kendal Records office in the near future? Would you be so kind as to look something up for me?
Marriage of Thomas Atkinson to Sarah Parker, according to the IGI it was on 11 November 1833, Kendal.
If anyone is able to, could you let me know what the actual parish records state, such as Parents, Witnesses and which parish church,etc. I'm trying to find out who Thomas's parents or family were, and am just hoping one of his relatives was present.
Thanks very much for your help
Mandy

Barbara Wilkinson
05-07-2008, 6:45 PM
I went a few weeks ago - I will be going again, but it could be some considerable time! I'll keep checking back to see if you have any further information.
However, the records I saw in the Record Office were amonst the most informative I have seen - although having raised your hopes, I was looking at Appleby and Shap, not actually Kendal, but it seemed to be the norm! All sorts of extra information had been added to the PRs which was really helpful - so if you can find a volunteer, you might strike gold!

Astoria
05-07-2008, 6:58 PM
Should have said I did find a William and Ann Atkinson on IGI who had a son Thomas Atkinson birth 29 August 1810, christened 19 September 1810.

Give me a shopping list and I will pop into the records centre for you, very close to me.

Astoria. :)

mandymad
07-07-2008, 7:49 PM
Hi Astoria, thanks for your help. I'm a bit confused though....where have you got the name William from? I have his children as, George, Thomas, Ann, Mary, Elizabeth, James, Sarah Jane & Joseph. Joseph is our direct line. All we know about Thomas is that he was born in Kendal, approx 1812 (but this is on the census so could be totally out) he was a Wool Sorter until Joseph's marriage when he is recorded as a Husbandsman in 1874. The trouble with the IGI and Westmorland is that not that much is on it. Westmorland seems to be one of those area's which haven't let the Mormons in quite as much as elsewhere. I was hoping to find the original of Thomas & Sarahs marriage in the hope that his father or any other relative is named so as to help find the right Thomas. There is a possiblility that he is related to the Atkinson's from Witherslack as 2 of his boys work there and there is another Joseph Atkinson living around the corner from the family who is born in Witherslack (a bit of a conincidence maybe, but needs checking out) Thanks very much for your help. We do get to visit Kendal once or twice a year but won't be going for a couple of months again so if you're able to help, it would be gratefully received. Thanks. If you need any help researching the NorthEast then please just ask.
Mandy & Kevin

mandymad
07-07-2008, 7:51 PM
Thanks Barbara for your offer of help, hopefully Astoria is able to help, if she's not able to get to Kendal Office then I'll let you know.

Astoria
07-07-2008, 8:58 PM
I tried to add this to my last post but could not edit.
I have no idea if this could be of use to to you.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/WES/igi_batch_nos.htm

All the best, Astoria.

mandymad
08-07-2008, 3:41 PM
Thanks Astoria. I know what you mean about naming the children after parents etc but still wonder where you got a child named William? There's none on the Census's and we can't find all of the Baptisms. Have you found a child we didn't know about and if so, where was he? Thanks

Astoria
08-07-2008, 5:28 PM
There is a William on the 1841 and 51 census also an Isaac Parker on both.
Isaac is a lodger born Old Hutton on the 51.

On the 41 census we also have Joseph Parker 15 and george Sarker 8.

Have I got the wrong family?

Astoria.

mandymad
09-07-2008, 6:30 AM
I think I was brain dead yesterday, yes there is a William, I hadn't scrolled up the list of children properly. Yes William and Ann do make sense. I'll have a hunt through the IGI to see who else I can come up with and to see if there is any link to Witherslack.
Issac & Joseph Parker are Sarahs brothers. George Parker is Sarahs illegitimate son. I think he will still be Thomas's son as on the 1851 census he becomes George Atkinson, but on the next he reverts to George Parker when married and living a couple of doors away. Later he becomes George A Parker and on his death, George Atkinson Parker.
Once again, thanks for your help.
Mandy