PDA

View Full Version : 1900 Geography - Neustadt, Baden?

Spangle
03-07-2008, 11:25 PM
I've found an Irish newspaper report on an ancestor who lived in Dublin but who died in a train accident in Constance, Switzerland. The newspaper report had taken it's information from a German paper which had said that he was born in Neudstadt Baden and had been visiting a relative (who shared his surname) in the town.

I'm interested as clearly my ancestors were not originally Irish, bearing the surname Kohler. The victim of the train accident's parents were both born in Ireland and certainly his mothers name is very Irish so she seems to have no German connection. His grandfather, Charles Kohler, pops up in Dublin as an adult, first recorded in Dublin in the early 1830s and I can't find any birth or death records for him nor can I go back any further.

I'd like to know if Neustadt, Baden, was part of Germany in 1900 as it seems to be very close to the Swiss border and therefore I am unsure if the victim of the train accident was indeed of German origin or whether he might possibly have been Swiss. Does anyone have a clue on German geography please?!

I hope this makes sense and thank you for stopping by to read this.

michaelpipe
04-07-2008, 12:44 AM
This page might help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Baden

Michael