PDA

View Full Version : Help Please-marriage cert. Baden Germany?

harleychick
02-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Please can anyone tell me where I can search for a marriage, and/or marriage certificate for Lorrach, Baden, Germany?
I cannot find my great grandmothers cousin Mina Stortz,in any British records after the 1901 English census, but have found on a site the following.
a birth of Ernst Reinard Werner in 1911, father Ernst Reinard Werner, mother Mina Stortz.
As "my" Mina who was born in Brighton in 1884 had a German Grandfather, I would like to try and prove if the two Mina's are the same person. Her older sister Violet also cannot be traced after 1901, although their other siblings and parents remained in the London area til after 1930.
Thankyou.

Jan1954
02-07-2008, 1:12 PM
Have a look at this guide (http://genealogy.about.com/od/vital_records/p/germany.htm) to Germany - records of births, marriages and deaths.

I hope that it gives you some pointers.

harleychick
02-07-2008, 3:02 PM
Many thanks, will see what I can find.
Unfortunately I dont know what year Mina and Ernst married which could cause problems.
Some years ago I seem to remember reading online about a German site that worked very similar to the LDS site.You typed in a name and any other details you had, and it brought up everyone with that name, but it doesn't seem to come up in the searches I have tried lately.
Does anyone remember the website address please, or whether it still exists.

Jan1954
02-07-2008, 3:08 PM
German vocabulary is beyond me, I'm afraid. However, I have just had a rummage on the interwebby and found this, which might be useful when googling (other search engines are available...;))

Ahnenforschung = ancestor research
Familiengeschichte = family history
Familienforschung = family research
Genealogie = genealogy
Kirchenbuch = parish register
kirchenbücher = parish registers

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

joycelyn
02-07-2008, 4:29 PM
genforum.genealogy.com/germany/

Have you tried putting a request for help on this site? I did this several years ago and a very friendly lady gave me so much help with translating my english letters into German and also getting addresses where I could get certificates etc. I ended up with my gggrandfathers birth certificate and his marriage certificate. I also found out my ggggrandparents names into the bargain!

Good luck

jojo

harleychick
03-07-2008, 8:21 AM
THANKYOU everyone and I'll see what I can do. I have been researching the Stortz side of my family for over 5 years and still lots of mysteries to solve. I have kept all your replies in "Favourites" and I'll certainly take you up on help as and when. As I said in my first message.I'm not sure whether the two Mina's are the same person, but a marriage cert would tell me who Mina's father was, and I do have the name of "My" Mina's father. It would explain why I cant seem to find any British BMD info. on her (or her sister)after the 1901 census. My Minas father had a godfather who came from the Baden area of Germany, so again a slight connection with the same area, although he was from Freiberg, not Lorrach.
I will plough on and thankyou all
Sheila.

Raphael
03-07-2008, 11:49 PM
THANKYOU everyone and I'll see what I can do. I have been researching the Stortz side of my family for over 5 years and still lots of mysteries to solve. I have kept all your replies in "Favourites" and I'll certainly take you up on help as and when. As I said in my first message.I'm not sure whether the two Mina's are the same person, but a marriage cert would tell me who Mina's father was, and I do have the name of "My" Mina's father. It would explain why I cant seem to find any British BMD info. on her (or her sister)after the 1901 census. My Minas father had a godfather who came from the Baden area of Germany, so again a slight connection with the same area, although he was from Freiberg, not Lorrach.
I will plough on and thankyou all
Sheila.

Hi! Harleychick

I am sure you must have seen this during your long search, worth a look at if you have not looked at it.

Freiberg. There are several, and there are references to most of them here including Baden

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freiberg

Re Mina's name, sometimes this is short for Wilhelmina Wilhelmine of which there several different spelling depending on the area.

Best Wishes
Raphael
(UK) & Düsseldorf (D).

harleychick
04-07-2008, 7:52 AM
Thankyou Raphael,
Mina is the name on her birth certificate and all census documents up to 1901.She was born in Brighton England in 1884, and had a German grandfather.( My great great grandfather) Her fathers Godfather from Freiberg, became a British citizen in 1858 and lived the rest of his life in England and became the director of the German gymnasium near Kings Cross, recently rescued from demolition, but the family may have retained connections with Germany, one reason why I am keen to discover if the two Minas are the same person.It will add one more chapter to story of the Stortz side of my family. I have yet to find any living relatives.

harleychick
05-07-2008, 8:00 AM
I have put a message on Genforum as suggested and was told that i have no chance of obtaining a marriage certificate as I am not directly related to Mina, so it looks like that avenue is a no-no. Perhaps the 1911 census due out in 3 years may confirm that she was or was not in England at that time.!