PDA

View Full Version : Parish Records - Long Buckby, Northampton

WK1937
01-07-2008, 6:36 PM
My great grandfather was born in Long Buckby in the year 1810 and I was lucky in that someone from Long Buckby looked up the parish records for me and I discovered he had other siblings. However, I would dearly love to find out the date of his parents marriage and the maiden name of his wife. They are not mentioned on the 1841 census for that area. The husband is named William Ward and his wife Elizabeth. So far I haven't been able to get any information.

Some of my research has been done by purchasing CDs of certain Parish Records and I was wondering whether anyone has any knowledge as to where I could purchase a CD covering the Long Buckby area, that is to say if one has been produced.

With many thanks, Maureen.

Andrew Mead
02-07-2008, 8:44 AM
You would probably do better on the Northamptonshire forum, rather than this which is for general comments/queries on parish registers, rather than specific counties.

Jan1954
02-07-2008, 8:49 AM
You would probably do better on the Northamptonshire forum, rather than this which is for general comments/queries on parish registers, rather than specific counties.
Good idea, Andrew.

Now sitting on the Northamptonshire forum.

WK1937
02-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Thank you Andrew for your excellent suggestion and Jan for moving my post.
I will now have a look at the suggested forum and see what comes up. I am a fairly new user - there is such a large collection of material on here to get through, I am ashamed to say I had not got round to visiting all the different titles.

Thanks again, Maureen.

janbooth
02-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Maureen,

From Northamptonshire Marriage Index:

27 March 1796 at Weedon Bec Church of England William WARD of Long Buckby, bachelor married Elizabeth DANIEL of the parish, spinster by licence.

HTH

Janet

LancsLass
02-07-2008, 1:34 PM
Maureen

Although you have your immediate answer it is worth contacting the archivist at the records service if you think you will need more parish records for Long Buckby. They will sell you microfiche at a very reasonable price (£2 per fiche from memory), of course not everything is available and you need access to a library with a fiche reader but its better than travelling.

There is more detail about the service on the Northampton Records Office website.

Sarah

'[email protected]'

Marilyn P
02-07-2008, 4:36 PM
Some Long Buckby parish records have been transcribed for Free Reg
http://www.freereg.org.uk/

But up to half of the population of the village were nonconformist and did not bapt their children in the parish church.

Marilyn

WK1937
02-07-2008, 8:49 PM
A great big thank you to you all. The marriage entry for William Ward on
27th March 1796 does rather sound like my ancestor as I suppose they could have moved to Long Buckby after the marriage. However, as their first born was in 1808 I am wondering whether it actually is the right one. I have found that William Ward/Elizabeth was fairly common in Northampton but in Long Buckby it appears at first there were only two separate Ward families.

I will take up the suggestion of getting in touch with the Records Office - thank you for that.

I have taken a look at free-reg but couldn't find anything useful. I believe my Wards were members of the Church as according to the information gained from FamilySearch and also from the local historian, all the children were baptized at Long Buckby. In actual fact my great grandfather who moved to Kent when he married carried on the tradition - he had nine children and everyone was baptized in the local Church. I obtained the CD for these records and discovered to my surprise that there had been a child born of which I had no knowledge - sadly he was given a private baptism as he had passed away at only 4 months old.

Any further suggestions would be welcome.

Regards, Maureen.

janbooth
03-07-2008, 10:14 AM
The LDS have also filmed the parish registers of Long Buckby - on microfiche I believe. You can order these to view these in situ at your nearest LDS Family History Centre.

Janet

Marilyn P
03-07-2008, 6:22 PM
I have just looked on freeReg and the baptisms for the children of William and Ekizabeth WARD start in 1797 go to 1815

Marilyn

WK1937
03-07-2008, 7:28 PM
Hi Marilyn, I have only just logged on here and read your post. As a matter of fact I actually spent most of the afternoon browsing through FreeReg and discovered, as you have just done, five more children born to William and Elizabeth. As I explained I could not understand why there was such a wide gap between the marriage and the first born (as I thought) in 1808. The local historian in Long Bucky lead me to three other children who were William's siblings but no mention was made of any previous ones. This is because his records did not go back far enough.

The interesting part though is that when Janet gave me the date of marriage it tied in with the historian's facts that William Ward was mentioned in the 1798 Land Tax returns and in 1815 he paid Window Tax for six windows. Apparently he had his own house and a plot of land.

I am so very grateful to you all for helping me - I feel enthusiastic once more.
Because I haven't been able to find my great aunt and uncle it seemed that no more progress could me made but these new results have invigorated me.

It was my lucky day when I found this site.

Best wishes, Maureen.