PDA

View Full Version : MY EDWARD B/1821 BRICK WALL

robbiej
01-07-2008, 1:09 AM
I have posted before, but am really desperate for information.
HELP PLEASE|banghead|
I have an Edward Robertsonn B/1821..Bottlemaker,(married to Elizabeth Glen)
HIS FATHER is said to be married to a Margaret More on his Death Cert....
I have looked for this connection, and numerous others have tried, but we cannot ascertain who the father is|blush|
The writing on the Cert is very poor. but looks to be either a short name or an abbreviation of a longer one.
I do realise that I am back further than the mandatory registering time in this.
This is posing a huge problem, as I cannot go any further back without him !
Family prior to this I have, and seems correct.
It was given a John, but I cannot find a match to Margaret More. I have tried various other names... no go..looked in all the relevent places - I think, and still nothing.
It was suggested that it was 'Alexander Malcolm'... NO, I don't think so, as there is no second name in any of the family areas up till then. This A. M. is a Sugarboiler, which to me doe not fit.
As I am in New Zealand I cannot "POP" into the Edinburgh Archives to possibly check it out..IF it is there???
So any help would be marvellous...PLEASE...
|help|
J|banghead|

v.wells
01-07-2008, 4:48 PM
Did you look in familysearch.org under IGI search. If there is a batch file as the source you can order up the film from your local LDS group. Will try to have a look later for you.

pipsqueak
02-07-2008, 3:05 AM
I have an Edward Robertsonn B/1821..Bottlemaker,(married to Elizabeth Glen) said to be married to a Margaret More on his Death Cert....

I've looked at your image of the death certificate and I find that it states that Eliza Glen was his wife and that Margaret More is his mother, unless I have read that wrong.

Also Edward's occupation seems to be something to do with sugar.

The writer fails to cross his Ts so I'm guessing the father's first name ends with a T. Not much help. The first letter looks a bit like a K but it's odd. Could be an abbreviation of Kenneth.

robbiej
02-07-2008, 4:55 AM
Thanks Pipsqeek. Have corrected...
YES it is Edward's FATHER that is supposedly married to Margaret More.
To the other query answer/ Yes I had a look at LDS and nothing came up with Edward in.
I plan hopefully soon to visit the Morman research centre across the city, when I can find time, as I also work.
I did vist there, SOME WEEKS AGO, but they are all helpers are seemingly of limited knowledge of 'how to' and my knowledge is limited as well, so I didn't gain anything by the visit.... Maybe the next time I will be lucky !
In the meantime, I am hoping that someone may be able to help me find him.
As I said, I have tried many variations but nothing seems to work. VERY Frustrating !!

pipsqueak
02-07-2008, 12:24 PM
I did a search on Scotlands People for Margaret More marriages to Robertson, and it claimed there were four matches between 1800 and 1835. It costs GBP6 to look at the results page, so not sure if that would be any help or not.

(I really hate not being able to write the Pound sign in posts, on an American keyboard...)

Jan1954
02-07-2008, 12:30 PM
(I really hate not being able to write the Pound sign in posts, on an American keyboard...)
Try holding down the ALT key and press 156 on the number pad - I have been told that this works, but have not done it myself.

pipsqueak
02-07-2008, 1:09 PM
£6.... woo-hoo! Thanks Jan! 'Alt 3' works on the mac. 'Alt 156' gave me this: ¡ ∞ § and if I go through all the numbers I get this: ¡ ™ £ ¢ ∞ § ¶ • ª º How exciting. Now I just have to remember it!! :D

Jan1954
02-07-2008, 1:23 PM
Good-oh! If anyone has other tips, please add them to this thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31152) rather than hi-jack this one (which I seem to have done), which belongs to robbiej.

Sorry, robbiej :o

robbiej
03-07-2008, 4:58 AM
Pipsqueek,
I found these ones, BUT which is the possible one !
I Will have to think on that one ! as they don't say ''who to''

OPR Marriage 01/01/1822 31/12/1826 1 MORE, MARGARET*
OPR Marriage 01/01/1799 31/12/1822 2 MORE, MARGARET*
OPR Marriage 01/01/1799 31/12/1822 1 MORE, MARGARET*
OPR Marriage 01/01/1819 31/12/1825 1 MORE, MARGARET*
OPR Marriage 01/01/1808 31/12/1818 1 MORE, MARGARET*
For all that, I thank you. Every little help is another step ''in the right direction'' I hope.|blush|

robbiej
05-07-2008, 3:01 AM
25 Salamander St, South Leith
Margaret Robertson, 69, Head, born Leith, Edinr, Asins Widow
Joan Robertson, 28, Daughter, born Leith, Edinr, Laundress
Catherine Armstrong, 32, Boarder, born Leith, Edinr, Worker Colom Works

In searching for Edward's 1821 Birth/Marriage etc, I came across this above.
Re the Margaret Robertson mentioned here...Can anyone tell me what the ASINS widow is please.|book2|
Normally it would I believe, be registered as 'Carpenter's widow' or such, but this has us puzzled.
Still no further ahead in this search.
Where is he or WHO is he !!???|computer|

pipsqueak
05-07-2008, 4:10 AM
No idea. Can you tell us where to find the original to see the handwriting?

Waitabit
05-07-2008, 5:41 AM
According to Wikepedia? "Asins" are id nos. ..Amazon Standard Identification Number. so probably similar to a number given to a pensioner. maybe..perhaps..er?

as in 1961 Scotland Census.