PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth Gardner - Bodicote

dcwilkes
30-06-2008, 8:49 PM
I have Elizabeth Gardner (born in Wroxton) aged 60 on the 1881 census. Her children were born in Bodicote between 1853 and 1860.

Her children's names are: John, Elizabeth, Mary, Sarah and Eliza.

There is no sign of a husband.

What was Elizabeth's maiden name and which Gardner did she marry? Possible date of marriage 1852.

Don

Jan1954
30-06-2008, 8:54 PM
Hello Don,

She is on her own in 1871 as well. However, in 1861 she is married to John C Gardner.
RG9; Piece: 914; Folio: 76; Page: 7

Jan1954
30-06-2008, 8:58 PM
This may be the marriage:

Marriages Jun 1851 Banbury, vol 16, page 35
Gardner John
Williams Elizabeth

dcwilkes
30-06-2008, 10:00 PM
It looks like I am up the same old gum tree. I'm still afer Sarah Elizabeth Gardner born 1857 father James - cabinet maker died when Sarah was a child. I thought this one might have been usefull but your help dumps yet another possibility. Well, when I get rid of all the impossibles then I will be left with the one most likely.

Thanks

Jan1954
30-06-2008, 10:06 PM
A few more details from 1861:

Living in Bodicott, Oxfordshire

John C Gardner, Head, Mar, 32, Malster & Farmer 54 acres 3 men, b Bodicott
Elizabeth Gardner, wife, 39, b Wroxton
Mary A, dau, 8, scholar, b Boddicott
Elizabeth M, dau, 6, scholar, b Boddicott
Sarah, dau, 5, scholar, b Boddicott
John W, son, 3, b Boddicott
Eliza, dau, 1, b Boddicott
Mary Heffer, Governess, 21, b Grantchester, Cambridgeshire

Jan1954
30-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Oops! I was typing whilst you were posting. Never mind, someone out there may find it useful. |hug|

Mutley
30-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Sorry Don,
Nothing to do with this question but I do like the new piccie, are you sure you are not getting younger:D

Sandyhall
30-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Hi

Give me details names and dates etc that you have and I can do a look up for you in Banbury

Sandy

dcwilkes
01-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Oh Mutley, keep asking questions like that and you will get a very good report. That is the latest picture, taken for the BBC very recently.

Hi Sandy, My Great Grandmother is very illusive. Sarah Elizabeth Gardner born 1857 (she married William Henry Gibbs Butler December 1881 in Birmingham). Her pre marital address was 24 Charles Street Iffley Road Oxford. Her father was deceased named James. That is the sum total taken from her wedding certificate.

The only possible, that remains a possible is a Brackley birth but I cannot find any proof that this is the same Sarah Elizabeth.

This ancestor has bugged me for years. The only other thing I know is my mother's eye witness account that "she was nice", said when I was a young schoolboy with my satchel and shining morning face.

That was a very long time ago Mutley.

NicoUK
01-07-2008, 9:19 AM
Since the 1861 Census details do seem to fit perfectly except for the husband being John C GARDNER - is it possible that Sarah's father was indeed James, though Elizabeth was married to John GARDNER at the time?

A death, for a John Colegrove GARDNER, age 38 in Mar 1867 quarter Banbury 3a 492, might explain why Elizabeth has no husband listed as living with her in the 1871 and 1881 (widow) Censuses? and by the time Sarah Elizabeth married in 1881 it was perhaps ok to name her father as James, deceased - there are these deaths listed for a James GARDNER: 1857 Banbury 3a 419 and 1865 Brackley 3b 8

In which case the Marriage Jun 1851 GARDNER John Banbury 16 35 and WILLIAMS Elizabeth Banbury 16 35 might fit, and perhaps a christening from the LDS: Elizabeth WILLIAMS Christening: 30 JAN 1822 Banbury, Oxford, England Father: Thomas WILLIAMS Mother: Mary Source Information: C026393

Just an idea - but I may be a |dunce2|

Sandyhall
01-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Do you think this could be them in the Union Workhouse Headington, Oxfordshire....

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1434; Folio: 64; Page: 55.

Sarah Gardner b1829 Kingsutton, Dorset(transcribed wrong Kingsutton is in Northamptonshire) Widow
Sarah E b1858 - Kingsutton
Mary J b1860 - Kingsutton
James W b1864 - Summertown, Oxford, Oxfordshire
Ellen b1867 - Summertown, Oxford, Oxfordshire

I will look in my Libarey at Brackley to see if I can find a christening for the Sarah Elizabeth that you have found born in Brackley 1857, if I can not find anything I will go into Banbury tomorrow as I know they have Kingsutton
there.....

Sandy

dcwilkes
01-07-2008, 11:55 AM
I have spotted the Headington Gardner's already but have not been able to discover anything that could tie them in and so I have been left floundering. The only other is the Brackley connection.

The Headington dates WILL fit the equasion. Sarah's DOB is not recorded on her wedding certificate but her age in December 1881 is given as 24 years.

I really need a Sarah born around 1856/7/8 who's father was named James (deceased at time of her wedding)

I also have a Mary Eliza Gardner (born 1848 with a father named James) in another branch of my tree and I have wondered if they could be sisters. Mary married William Slatter Dawson and had a son named Herbert Frederick Victor Dawson

Don

Sandyhall
01-07-2008, 5:41 PM
Hi

Just got back from the Library no luck with the Brackley connection, I could not find any Christenings for anyone with the surname Gardner in the Brackley Records nor could I find a burial for James Gardner who died in 1865 Brackley.

Will try Banbury tomorrow for you for the Kingsutton ones just to eliminate them if they are not the right ones.

Sandy
PS Just rereading your posts through again have you found any of them in any of the Census.

dcwilkes
01-07-2008, 9:27 PM
Censuea for the Gardner's either before or after the 1881 marriage is nil. I can't even find Sarah during the early twentieth century. Strange because my mother knew her.

Sandyhall
02-07-2008, 4:15 PM
Bad news |banghead|

The Kingsutton Sarah E father was George she was baptized 9 Aug 1857 also Mary J baptized 4 June 1860 they where Primitive Methodist.

The only other Sarah Elizabeth with father named James we found (I had some help) was from Wroxton which is Northamptonshire.

I guess its back to the drawing board or do this |computer| LOL

Sandy

PS
The help was from a man from Oxfordshire Historical Society anyone in this area near to Banbury he is their every Weds and Friday afternoons very helpful.
Will do another post with what he's told me as some of its quite interesting.

dcwilkes
02-07-2008, 9:58 PM
This particular line of enquiry ref 'The Gardner's' has been bad news for years. Sarah arrived, got married, had a son then disappeared, or to put it delicately, she came, she conceived and then she concluded. I like your graphics.

dcwilkes
08-07-2008, 1:54 AM
Pardon the delay, I'm still tring to get to grips with your information. There have been hints of a banbury connection and the Brackley root sems right but..... I can't say I fully understand what you are suggesting.

I have the wedding cert of Sarah and her Father is sited as being James a deceased cabinet maker. You can see it if you want.

Perhaps you could explain again but using baby language - just for me.

NicoUK
08-07-2008, 8:26 AM
Hi Don,

Ok - I'm thinking along the lines that it's just possible John C Gardner could have been listed as Sarah's father whereas, perhaps unknown to him :eek: it was in fact James Gardner. By the time Sarah married in 1881, if John C was dead and she married in Birmingham - a fair distance away from Banbury - it would not have mattered if she declared her true father was James. The family that Jan1954 found in the 1861 Census seem to fit the one you are looking for in every way, except for the husband, and it just might explain the facts that you know.

If that possibly way out theory (:)) is correct, then the marriage that Jan1954 found (Jun 1851 Banbury 16 35) could also be correct, and Elizabeth's maiden name could have been Williams. There is a Christening for an Elizabeth Williams around the right date (1822) and the right area (Banbury) with parents Thomas Williams and Mary (LDS Batch C026393)

For Sarah, Births Mar 1856 Gardner Sarah Banbury 3a 616 seems to be a likely one unless you've already disproved it? maybe obtain a Birth Certificate, subject to the father being either John C or James Gardner, if you haven't already?

Quoting Sandyhall "The only other Sarah Elizabeth with father named James we found (I had some help) was from Wroxton which is Northamptonshire" - I believe Wroxton came under Banbury at that time?

It was just an idea, since you've hit a |banghead|

NicoUK

dcwilkes
09-07-2008, 10:15 PM
This is all getting to much for me. I'll stick this in my 'Possible Scenarios For Sarah Folder' and ponder it for a while.

Mother married to John and having it off with James who was Sarah.s father? Not my Sarah surely. I didn't think that sort of thing went on in those days.

Cripes!