PDA

View Full Version : Checking Parish Registers

esjadee
02-01-2005, 6:10 PM
Hi

Can you help me clear up a question re Parish Records?

Basically I have ancestors from Bedford, Oxford and Berkshire and I live in Bristol. I would like to verify the BMD info I have about them prior to 1837. I have transcriptions of parish registers which have been sent to me and which I have obtained from microfiche records and of course from the IGI.

Now, everything I have ever read or learned says I should always check the original record which I would like to do. But I have a few questions:

Are they only available to view at the record offices where the registers are held?
Are we actually allowed to handle the original registers?
Is there any other way of viewing the records without going to the record office?

Thanks
Sue

Ladkyis
02-01-2005, 7:57 PM
The LDS Church (Mormons) have filmed most parish records from all over the country and you can order any film for research at your local LDS Family History Centre. To find one local to you take a look here

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

Ann

Peter Goodey
02-01-2005, 9:00 PM
I fear that doesn't apply at all to Oxfordshire where the bishop sent the Mormons packing when he found out what they were up to. I'm not sure about Berks and Beds.

It looks like a trip to Oxford, I think. A pleasant enough place to visit! Are you allowed to handle the originals? Well yes but if the RO has microfilmed the registers they'll expect you to work from those unless you make a good case to see the originals (usually - depends on local policy).

Oh...and yes - the Oxfordshire transcripts certainly do have errors in them!

esjadee
03-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Many thanks to you both. I shall certainly investigate what the LDS have and as you say Oxford is a pleasant enough place although I fear if I am stuck in the record office I shall have little time to explore. However, as it's not too far away I shall definitely give it a go.

Thanks again
Sue