PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a marriage?

Bulleon
29-06-2008, 9:10 PM
Hi everyone,

As well as doing my own family tree, I've also been doing my boyfriend's who comes from Newcastle. I've traced him back to a John Blyth born abt 1822 Lynemouth, Northumberland and his wife Mary born abt 1826 Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland. On the 1851 census, I found John and Mary on Church Street, Berwick with their 3 children Mary (b. 1851), Margaret (b.1849) and Thomas (b.1847), and also 'mother-in-law' Margaret Blakey.

I've been looking for a marriage for John and Mary but so far haven't found anything, I reckon it should be between about 1841-1848, and have searched just on John Blyth, just on Mary Blakey and various other searches.

Would anyone mind having a look just in case I'm overlooking something simple, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks for your help!

Stacey.

bumblebee
29-06-2008, 9:28 PM
Even though the 'Mother in Law' was called Blakey, she could have been married more than once and does not necessarily mean that was the name her daughter had. I see the Mother in Law was born in Scotland, could John and Mary have married in Scotland? Could you check on Scotlands People?

Bumblebee

Davran
29-06-2008, 9:30 PM
A few thoughts ........

I can't find anything likely on FreeBMD, but have you been using the full indexes?

There is also always the possibility that they never married.

Are you assuming that Mary's maiden name was BLAKEY because her mother was called that? That may not be the case as her mother could have been widowed and remarried. :)

Bulleon
29-06-2008, 9:38 PM
Hi guys,

I haven't got any proof as yet that Mary was definitely a Blakey, although I think I've found her on the 1841 census with that surname living in Berwick with brother and sister John and Eliza and mother Margaret (the same ages for the 2 both stand as well). I've done some searching for marriages on scotlandspeople website but haven't come up with anything for John and Mary. I guess I'll just have to get going and order a birth certificate for one of their kids to make sure of Mary's maiden name.

I have done some fairly thorough searching of the full bmds as well as on freebmd, can't find anything likely yet though.

Thanks for your help though guys, I was just checking that I wasn't overlooking anything obvious before ordering the certificate. I shall update this thread when I get it through, just so you know whether she was really a Blakey!

Stacey.