PDA

View Full Version : Birth at sea

mixedup
29-06-2008, 8:24 PM
Hi there,

I'm trying to trace the birth of Henry Taylor, on the 1841 and 1851 census it states he was born 'at sea, off the Spanish Coast' around about 1792-1796.
Any ideas where to look for clues?

Anne

michaelpipe
30-06-2008, 12:48 AM
I think this is how it goes, but anyone please correct me if I am wrong.
If it was a foreign ship then it could be anywhere. The only way you would have half a chance is to know the nationality of the vessel he was on, unless it was a navy ship. If it was a naval ship then his birth would be in Naval records, and I cannot find him at that time. Complete records were not required from ships until after 1850.

This link at TNA might explain:
http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Births%2C_Marriages_and_Deaths_at_ Sea#Registers_of_Births.2C_Marriages_and_Deaths_at _Sea_1851_to_1890

Michael

Geoffers
30-06-2008, 8:18 AM
As indicated by Michael, this could be a long search. Is there anythng you could add to give a starting point?

Do you know Henry's occupation?

Do you know his dad's name and occupation?

Would you mind transcribing the census returns here as there may be something in them that may help?

mixedup
30-06-2008, 9:07 AM
Excuse the slow replies, I'm new to all these threads and postings, do I give this a new title?

Back to Henry, he was a Master Tinner and Furniture Broker.

No idea about his parents.

1841 census:

Living at Burton's Yard, Westgate, Wakefield, West Yorkshire
Henry Taylor Age 45 Tinner and Brazier
Wife Mary age 40
Children: Henry 14, John 10, William 8, Rebecca 15, Jane 6

1851 Census:

Living Westgate, Wakefield
Henry Taylor, age 59 Tinner and Broker,, Difficult to read but looks like 'on/off the Spanish Coast, at sea'
Mary wife age 53 Tinner's wife born Quorndon? Derbyshire
John son age 20 born Derbyshire
Jane daughter 15 born Wakefield
Three servants, difficult to read names, one from Derbyshire, the other two I think from Ireland

1861 census:
living Kirkgate Wakefield
Henry Taylor age 68 Tinner (Master) born '0n the sea'
Mary age 63 born Derbyshire
John age 30 Tinner born Derbyshire
Robert Ainsley Grandson age 6 born Wakefield (haven't been able to trace his connection as yet)
two female visitors in the household but difficult to read.

I also have him on the 1853 Trade Directory as a Tinner and Brazier and Furniture Broker in Wakefield.

There are lots of other Taylors in Wakefield but his wife was from Derbyshire and his eldest children were born there so maybe he was from Derbyshire and not Yorkshire parents?

His descendents were tinners for several generations. Maybe his father was too, but why on a vessel, and why his mother at sea then?

Thanks for helping.

Geoffers
30-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Excuse the slow replies

Worry not, everyone has their own pace and you're positively speedy compared with some (as far as I'm aware some folks have not looked at replies posted two ro three years ago - ah well, their loss).

I'm new to all these threads and postings, do I give this a new title?

A new title is not needed, the title of the thread is what catches my eye.

Back to Henry, he was a Master Tinner and Furniture Broker.
No idea about his parents.
1841 census:
Living at Burton's Yard, Westgate, Wakefield, West Yorkshire

I'd be inclined first off to see if he appears in earlier directories, just to try and give some staring pont for him in Wakefield. Also, at earlier times, he may have appeared in partnership with someone who may have been his dad. Are there any other TAYLORs who were in similr occupations in census returns/directories? Or any TAYLORs born abroad who may be related?

Can you locate Henry (b c.1827) in later census returns so that you can find his birthplace. It is possible that this may be the same palce the couple married. Although earlier marriage register entries did not necessarily include parents, they or other relatives may appear as witnesses and tracing them may then lead you back to Henry's parents.

I cannot find a birth for your chap in the regimental registers of births (1761-1924) or (Army) Chaplains' returns of baptism (1796-1880); so at first glance this doesn't look to be an army birth.

Did your chap leave a will? - These sometimes contain all sorts of odd snippets of information - it might mention a sibling.

1861 census:
living Kirkgate Wakefield
Henry Taylor age 68 Tinner (Master) born '0n the sea'
Mary age 63 born Derbyshire

Mary was born Quarn according to the 1861 census.

Robert Ainsley Grandson age 6 born Wakefield (haven't been able to trace his connection as yet)

The GRO index has a marriage:
Sep 1853 AINSLEY, James Hirst - Wakefield Vol 9c page 40
There is a corresponding entry with the same reference for Mary Jane TAYLOR. (Could she be the Jane Taylor shown in 1841 and 1851?).

It may be worth obtaining this in the hope that Mary TAYLOR's father was a tinner called Henry and he husband had an occupation connected with the sea which hints at what Henry may have been up to.

mixedup
30-06-2008, 2:51 PM
Wow, so quick. Lots for me to work at, how I'm going to watch Wimbledon as well?

Will keep you posted.:)

Thanks so much

Anne