PDA

View Full Version : George Strickland 1855 occupation Soldier

MickyMutt
27-06-2008, 10:58 AM
What could I make of a marriage certificate that had a 21 year old soldier marrying my great aunt Elizabeth Mutton in Falmouth in 1855. By 1861 the couple was living at Upton Rd, The Elms in West Ham and occupying the Genral Labourers Cottage. Where would I go to find out what George Strickland's career as a soldier entailed. Would it have been as a regular soldier in the British Army or in some local militia. His father was noted as a gamekeeper, presumably on some large estate. Were the nobility still raising local militias/units etc in England around this time? Despite having spent a lifetime in the Australian military forces I confess to little knowledge of affirs military in England prior to War I and II.
cheers
Mick

Geoffers
27-06-2008, 1:29 PM
What could I make of a marriage certificate that had a 21 year old soldier marrying my great aunt Elizabeth Mutton in Falmouth in 1855. By 1861 the couple was living at Upton Rd, The Elms in West Ham and occupying the Genral Labourers Cottage. Where would I go to find out what George Strickland's career as a soldier entailed.

Records relating to the military are held in The National Archives (TNA) at Kew. Have a look at their research guides, prefixed 'British Army' (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp?j=1#b)
I appreciate that Kew is a bit out of the range of a cheap-day return.

Does your George Stirckland and/or his wife turn up in any later census returns with any children? If so, what are the children's birthplaces? These might indicate military postings.

Does the marriage certificate just record his occupation as 'Soldier' - or does it give anything further?

Mutley
27-06-2008, 4:59 PM
Does your George Stirckland and/or his wife turn up in any later census returns with any children? If so, what are the children's birthplaces? These might indicate military postings.

In 1871 I think he is still a gardener living in Gardeners Cottage, Fulham with Elizabeth but unfortunately without children.:(

The British Foreign Legion, 1854-1856
During the Crimean War, men were recruited abroad to form the British German Legion, the British Italian Legion, and the British Swiss Legion. These forces were formed as a result of the Enlistment of Foreigners Act 1854 and they became known collectively as the British Foreign Legion. A total of 14,000 men were recruited, although none saw active service: they were disbanded after the war. The musters, service records and attestation papers of the German and Swiss Legions are in WO 15 : those of the Italian Legion no longer survive. See Mercenaries for the Crimea by C C Bayley (London, 1977).

MickyMutt
28-06-2008, 12:12 AM
George continued as a gardener all his life eventually became the superintendent of St Judes Cemetery in Egham. Apart from his occupation being listed as a soldier on his wedding certificate there is no evidence of a long term military career, which made me wonder just what was his military experience. I guess I was just looking for a little bit of trivia to add into the story line. Still, by the time I finish with all my relatives I might have an Archives shopping list so a three-month return ticket might be the way to go.
thanks
Mick