PDA

View Full Version : Margaret Devlin b abt 1834 Fethard Co Tipperary

MickyMutt
25-06-2008, 9:40 AM
Looking for any family related info re my GGrandmother Margaret Devlin b Fethard around 1834. Father's name was Edward Devlin occupation farmer. Am assuming they went to Liverpool during mid- to late-1840s. Margaret sailed to Australia with over 100 other young Irish women aboard the vessel "Western Bride" in 1854/1855.

Mick

michaelpipe
25-06-2008, 11:32 AM
1851 census

HO107; Piece: 2226; Folio: 18; Page: 29
There is a Margaret Devlin, age 18, unmarried, occupation weaver, born Ireland, living at Burton Court, Manchester. She is with the family of Mark and Mary Hart (all born in Ireland), and is the sister, (presumably sister inlaw), making Mary Hart her sister.

HO107; Piece: 2388; Folio: 479; Page: 21
There is also another Margaret Devlin, age 17, unmarried, servant, born in Ireland, living at 24 Mechanic's Cottages, Wolsingham, Durham, working as a dom serv and living with William & Mary Armstrong, both born in Ireland.

Hard to say which one is yours.

Michael

MickyMutt
25-06-2008, 11:23 PM
Michael,
thanks for your reply. I did learn something in this exchange and that is to let people know what info I did have; that way I won't waste their time unneccessarily. I did have those census entries, so I should have said so. My apologies. The young Margaret at Wolsingham had caught my attention but I wasn't able to make any progress there. I have come across some military records of an Edward Devlin from Fethard (probaly a generation or two on from when Margaret was born so I'm hopeful there might be someone with some knowledge of Devlins in that village).
thanks again
Mick

simon devlin 28
14-12-2008, 3:52 PM
Mick,

I came across the thread about Margaret Devlin through a search and was interested to know she came from Fethard, Tipperary in Ireland. I have recently researched my family tree and found i have relations from Fethard. My GGGrandfather was Richard Devlin who had my GGrandfather James Devlin / Bernard Devlin and Mary Devlin with his wife Honora Hagerty Devlin. My GGrandfather was born in 1878 and Bernard was the first born in 1875. We believe they travelled to Liverpool before 1900 and settled in the city. We don't know a great deal only circumstantial information - Bernard & Edward are both familiar names in my family tree (my middle name for one is Edward) and most ancestors used to name their offspring after relatives. My GGrandfather named his first born Edward Richard Devlin - Richard for his dad and i think Edward for his grandad. If you would like to know more then don't hesitate to contact me.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards,

Simon

MickyMutt
15-12-2008, 6:53 AM
G'day Simon,
Thanks for yr msg. It seems like a promising lead. I've had little success in locating anything about my GGrandmother other than what was written on her death certificate "Father - Edward Devlin - farmer of Tipperary" "mother's name unknown":
Margaret's birth place was given as Tipperary. this would have been in 1834 and she died in 1889 Birth certificates of her children put her year of birth as 1837). She came to Australia in 1855 from Liverpool aboard a vessel called "Western Bride" which seemed to consist almost entirely of young women (about 100 of them aged between 15 and 22). The reference to Fethard appears to have been passed by word of mouth to succeeding generations. There appears to be few Devlins around that area today compared to the much larger concentrations further north and in Scotland.
I strongly suspect that Margaret's family went to Liverpool in the 1840s buthaven't had much luck in pinning down which of the many Devlins in the censuses would have been her family. Then again she may have travelled with siblings and not her parents. Please feel free to contact me by email at [email protected] I have an extensive family tree and would dearly love to explore the Devlin side more deeply
regards
Michael
Geelong AU