PDA

View Full Version : Really nasty new Virus.

Waitabit
24-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Family Member has passed on this threat of new virus. He is in this field & I've phoned him & ascertained this threat is 'richie ditch' so I pass it on to you all........................................

">You should be alert during the next several weeks. Do not open any message
with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD,' regardless of who sent it to you. It
is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc
(C drive) of your computer. This virus will be received from someone who has
your e-mail address in his/her contact list. This is the reason why you need
to send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this
message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it. If you receive a
mail called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open
it.! This includes all cards, too. Shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by
Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by
McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus.
This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where your
vital information is kept.

COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS.
RE MEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU
WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US. " ...............................

If someone is indeed playing "silly Bu...rs" I apologise but better forwarned than.....whatever the rest is..

Wendy

Procat
24-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Looks like a hoax.

See this link http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_postcard_virus.htm

Waitabit
24-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks Doug, have passed that back to Family Member.
I looked at another site warning of such before posting too.

Wendy

These people don't realise that we're are really too busy keeping up with new posts to get sidetracked with these nonsensities !!

Guy Etchells
24-06-2008, 3:48 PM
Always be suspicious of any message that says "pass this on to all your friends"
That is a type of virus in itself. ;)
If anyone does get a message that mentions that the best answer is to delete it then forget about it.
Cheers
Guy

MarkJ
24-06-2008, 4:38 PM
As Guy says - "pass this on...", "worst virus ever...". "unable to remove...." - all those things are classic hoax phrases. The "technobabble" is another good indicator.
If you think about it, any genuine virus will spread millions of times faster than any warning could possibly do - so even if genuine, chances are that the warning would be far too late anyway.

Mark

Pam Downes
24-06-2008, 6:08 PM
A few years ago when I was still very new to emailing and the internet one of my contacts sent me an email about the teddy bear virus. I was in such a panic that my computer might be infected that I had to sit up until my son rolled home about 1'clock in the morning so I could get him to check. :D
I got a very severe lecture of 'don't open, don't reply, don't forward, delete'.
To which I now add ' and don't panic'.
Pam

Peter Goodey
24-06-2008, 7:25 PM
That's the purpose of virus hoaxes - to spread alarm. The more these hoax messages are distributed, the more successful they are.

MarkJ
24-06-2008, 7:25 PM
Ah! The jdbgmgr warning :) A long time since I have seen that one, but it was quite clever really. For starters, the file in question wasn't vital, so for most folks, deleting it was not going to stuff their machines. The jdbgmgr.exe file does have a teddy bear icon - which seems odd sat amongst all the other files, so it could make people suspicious of it.

I remember being told about that one several times a day at the peak of the hoax mailings.

If you can call a hoax message such, it was a classic!

Mark

Waitabit
24-06-2008, 9:06 PM
Thanks All,..I have sharpened up my "Delete" finger. :o