PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Amelia King

Tederator
24-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Hi there, I am looking for birth details of Amelia King, parents etc. Amelia King married Charles Thomas Benzoni on 2nd April 1874 in Wellington New Zealand, Charles was a well known resident in Wellington at the time having worked in the Civil Service until he retired. From what I have been able to work out from a record from Karori Cemetery in Wellington, they are both buried there in the same grave, Amelia King was born round about 1850, that is the only date I have for this lady, who was my Great Grand Aunt in Law, apart from she died in 1925 at the age of 75 years. They lived in Tinakori Road Wellington, I think thats how its spelt. I would really like to know where Amelia was born, either in New Zealand or England. Not much to work with I'm afraid so I hope somebody can find some information about Amelia.

Cheers

Ted.

ChristineR
24-06-2008, 12:41 AM
The most reliable source for her birthplace will be found on the birth registrations of Amelia's children from 1876. According to information I found on The New Zealand department of Internal Affairs web site, birth registrations from 1876 included the parents age and birthplace.

It should also be on her death certificate, but only if the informant knows, and they can be wrong.

Christine :)

Tederator
24-06-2008, 1:31 AM
Thanks for that Christine, I shall look further. I should have added in my first post that Charles and Amelia had four children, two of which I have some details of, Charles Matravers Benzoni born 23rd May 1875 in Wellington and Louis Alexander Benzoni 9th October 1879 in Wellington, I don't know how accurate these dates are because they came from an unofficial source but a very good unofficial source I might add. Thanks again.

Ted.

Chisel
29-06-2008, 3:02 AM
KING Amelia NZBirthIndex1840-1854, 1855-1858 & 1859-1861 Not found, probably not born here.

Electoral Roll 1911 Hamilton Electorate
Benzoni, Charles Thomas 44 Boulcott St, Accountant
Benzoni, Frances Eleanor Sophia, 142 Tinakori Rd, Teacher
(Charles wasn't at Tinakori as expected, who is the lady?)
E/R 1922 Not found Hamilton area
E/R 1919, Wellington
Benzoni, Frances Eleanor Sophia, 107 Cuba St, Spinster
E/R 1914,Wellington
Benzoni, Frances Eleanor Sophia,Grand Central Hotel, Spinster

Hope you can find something usefull here. Any specific searches, just let me know.

Tederator
29-06-2008, 10:14 AM
KING Amelia NZBirthIndex1840-1854, 1855-1858 & 1859-1861 Not found, probably not born here.
Hope you can find something usefull here. Any specific searches, just let me know.

Thank you for that Chisel, that is useful, slowly filling in gaps for this family.
I suspected that Amelia was not born in New Zealand, I have checked through the Civil Index at the GRO UK, but there are so many with that name I cannot work out which one is the right one, if its possibly to get a marriage record of Charles Thomas Benzoni and Amelia King I could possibly get her Father's name from that and work from there. Frances Eleanor Sophia Benzoni was the daughter of Charles and Amelia, she became a teacher at a School in Wellington. Another son of theirs was Henry Ormond Moule Benzoni, it would be great if I could get their birth records, bit of a tall order though.
Charles and Amelia did live in Tinakori Road but I don't know when they left there, the last I have of him was when he retired as Registrar of Friendly Society, he retired in 1906, there is a picture of him in the National Library of New Zealand and also from 'Papers Past' he had been seriously in hospital and died in 1914. Amelia King died in 1925 and they are both buried in the same grave at Karori Cemetery Wellington, this information I have from the office records held at Karori, all the other information I have is what I have gleaned from 'Papers Past' and what I have found online at the site called 'Archway'.
Thank you very much again for your help it is truly appreciated.

Ted

Johnzee
01-07-2008, 6:17 AM
Hi Tederator,
I am very familiar with Tinakori road as my grandparents, and later a cousin lived quite close to the Benzoni's (Charles Thomas), perhaps only two houses away.

Able to find the following which may be of use if you have not already these details - in date sequence though I have few dates!

1. born, London, educated at a private school in St Albans, Herts.
2. worked in a private firm T & T Gates, Aldersgate.
3 Imperial Service during the Crimean War being attached to Army Medical Department
4. was in Lord Elgin's expedition to China accompanying 90th Perthshire Infantry - wrecked in HMSS "Transit" in Straits of Sunda.
5 eventually reached Singapore, diverted to Bengal Presidency, consequent on Indian Mutiny.
6 in China on ordnance duties for the bombardment of Canton
7 attached to Royal Engineers.
8 returned to England and studied general Surgery at Aldershot.
9 volunteered, and went with Guards and Rifle Brigade to "British North America"
10 back in England at Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley, attached to the Military Purveyors Dept.
11 volunteered again for active service: sent to NZ and served with Lieut-General Cameron in the Waikato. Afterwards remained in Auckland with "mining and journalistic" pursuits.
12. 1870 Field quartermaster.
13 1873 clerk, Public Works and goldfields department
14 promoted March 1879 assistant under-secretary and was acting undersecretary for 18 months
15 1885 The inevitable goverment reconstruction - bad in NZ at that time - still happens often today. Charles "retrenched" (= redundancy in today's terms)
16 appointed Clerk of the Friendly Societies' Registry Office, and became Deputy-Registrar in 1892.

Appears to be a Bit of a lad in his day - perhaps too much so for the machinations of politicians and their departments, and obviously kicked sideways job-wise.

1883 Tinakori Road, near intersection of George Street.
1887 Tinakori Road, but may have shifted to another house as there are several more names now between him and George Street.
1890 Tinakori Road, next to Drummonds Lane. I dont know when this lane was established (?1888) but can check on a few maps when I am next in Wellington. I spend some time in the archives there when visiting my rellies.

Cheers

Johnzee

Tederator
01-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Thank you for all that information Johnzee, I'm getting to build up quite a picture of C.T.Benzoni now, no wonder he didn't get married until he was 42 years, he didn't have time with all that Army service, he has been quite the most interesting of my ancestors so far, he was my Grandfather's uncle. Hopefully I shall get some details of his marriage and family sometime. Thanks again Johnzee.

Ted.

daleaway
02-07-2008, 1:13 AM
Your post of 29/6 says "Hamilton electorate", but Tinakori Road and Boulcott Street are both in central Wellington (I had 19th century relatives in Tinakori Road too!).

Boulcott Street being right in the centre of the CBD was probably his business address, whereas his residence was in the residential area of Thorndon (Tinakori Road), which his teacher daughter gave as her address.

Chisel
02-07-2008, 8:30 PM
I hope that I didn't stuff it up. Will check the sources again this weekend.
Thats for the warning.:o

Johnzee
03-07-2008, 4:59 AM
Hi Tederator,
Checked through the NZ marriages for Benzoni - only 12 of them - but Charles's children are there - do you want the basic details (spouse + registration number)? Then checked the telephone directory and there is one person listed who has a name which fits the son of Charles Matrevers - a Cedric Crofts Benzoni. Crofts is the maiden name of Charles Matrevers' wife - so I guess there may be a connection. However CCB was married in 1940 so he must be very elderly now! Also, could be his son with the same names.

You can get the telephone numbers and addresses from "New Zealand whitepages" (via google) and enter Benzoni in the search box and town left blank - there should be 6 in the list. A Fraser Benzoni also has an email address.

Cheers

Johnzee

Tederator
04-07-2008, 12:14 AM
Hi Tederator,
Checked through the NZ marriages for Benzoni - only 12 of them - but Charles's children are there - do you want the basic details (spouse + registration number)?
Cheers

Johnzee

That's great Johnzee, thank you, yes please I would like those basic details if you have them. How did you find 12 marriages for the Benzoni's, I haven't been able to find any on line myself no matter how much I have searched. Thank you again very much.
Cheers
Ted.

Johnzee
04-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi Tederator,

Benzoni marriage list
Year 1939
Folio 09420
Surname BENZONI
Given Names Betty Amelia
Spouse PENNELL
Given Names John Harold

Year 1940
Folio 11693
Surname BENZONI
Given Names Cedric Crofts
Spouse SAMSON
Given Names Lillas Flora Martin

Year 1901
Folio 4177
Surname BENZONI
Given Names Charles Matravers
Spouse CROFTS
Given Names Mary Agnes

Year 1874
Folio 1096
Surname BENZONI
Given Names Charles Thomas
Spouse KING
Given Names Amelia

Year 1946
Folio 12458
Surname BENZONI
Given Names Frances Mary
Spouse REYNOLDS
Given Names James Keene

Year 1940
Folio 02692
Surname BENZONI
Given Names Helen Patricia
Spouse SWAN
Given Names John

Year 1921
Folio 02465
Surname BENZONI
Given Names Henry Moule Ormond
Spouse MILES
Given Names Ella Agnes May

Year 1907
Folio 7072
Surname BENZONI
Given Names Louis Alexander
Spouse STUART
Given Names Kathleen Louisa

Year 1934
Folio 05593
Surname BENZONI
Given Names Mabel Frances
Spouse JAMES
Given Names Leo Stanley

Year 1939
Folio 10176
Surname BENZONI
Given Names Norma Mary
Spouse HUBBARD
Given Names Lawrence

Year 1946
Folio 11300
Surname BENZONI (it seems that she also used the name SUTCLIFFE or vice versa- needs researching)
Given Names Stephanie Ngaire Hyatha Adeline
Spouse FIDLER
Given Names Hugh Charles Humphry

Year 1938
Folio 02966
Surname BENZONI
Given Names Stuart Louis Max
Spouse ADAMS
Given Names Thora Lillian Magdalane

NZ BMD's are not yet on the web - grapevine has it that they will be, perhaps next year. Many genealogists would envy you in having such unique combinations of names!!!!!

Cheers

Johnzee

Tederator
05-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Thank you for that list Johnzee, excellent work, Wow what a family, I hadn't realised that there had been so many Benzoni's in NZ, guess some of them would have been cousins, third, fourth or fifth, if thats how it works, I've not studied that part of genealogy, although I have just been given a very good book which talks about the subject, will have to study it up. From your very excellent list I will try and work out who fits where, working from C.T Benzoni down. How would I get certificates for these marriages, I would like to order some if I can, is there a GRO in NZ? where I can send an order to. Thank you very much again Johnzee, hope I can return the favour sometime, somehow.

All the best

Ted.

Johnzee
05-07-2008, 2:50 AM
Hi Tederator,

Spending the day on the web here -doing genealogy stuff. Its frezzing cold outside and SNOWING - NZ has closed down for the day - Wellington is just about to be blasted off the face of this earth with the wind.

your teacher daughter of Charles was at Northlands School, Wellington in 1909.

NZ BMDs may be purchased through www.bdm.govt.nz

strongly suggest you contact Jim Benzoni jimben1943(ta)hotmail(tod)com
his is or is the son of James Crofts Benzoni.

Tederator
05-07-2008, 3:14 AM
Hi Tederator,

Spending the day on the web here -doing genealogy stuff. Its frezzing cold outside and SNOWING - NZ has closed down for the day - Wellington is just about to be blasted off the face of this earth with the wind.

your teacher daughter of Charles was at Northlands School, Wellington in 1909.

NZ BMDs may be purchased through www.bdm.govt.nz

strongly suggest you contact Jim Benzoni jimben1943(ta)hotmail(tod)com
his is or is the son of James Crofts Benzoni.

Thanks again for that info Johnzee, great stuff, as far as the freezing cold and snow over there, don't want that here, I thought it was bad enough here, no snow here of course but its pouring down with rain though.
Regarding the contact you have given me I'm sending you a PM about that.

Cheers

Ted.

Chisel
13-07-2008, 3:00 AM
Your post of 29/6 says "Hamilton electorate", but Tinakori Road and Boulcott Street are both in central Wellington (I had 19th century relatives in Tinakori Road too!).

Boulcott Street being right in the centre of the CBD was probably his business address, whereas his residence was in the residential area of Thorndon (Tinakori Road), which his teacher daughter gave as her address.

I believe that I got confused with another person being researched in Hamilton. Tis not a good idea to reasearch half a sleep.|nutkick|
The basis of the info given will still be correct.

ralph_smith
02-08-2008, 3:06 AM
Tederator, you can order a NZ BDM certificate or printout by ringing the NZ Department of Internal Affairs in Sydney.
A printout is more useful than a certificate and cheaper.

Tederator
02-08-2008, 7:00 AM
Tederator, you can order a NZ BDM certificate or printout by ringing the NZ Department of Internal Affairs in Sydney.
A printout is more useful than a certificate and cheaper.

Hi Ralph, Thanks a lot for that, I shall be looking into that later, I have so many that I want to get, I've had a whole list sent to me so it while take a while, and expense I'm afraid.

Thanks a lot again.

Cheers

Ted.

Johnzee
30-08-2008, 3:57 AM
Hi Tederator,

Further to Benzoni

go to http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz

and search for Benzoni in "Evening Post" the Wellington newspaper for as many years as you wish- in the 20 years at the 1900 turn of the century there were 468 references to the name - births, nominations and successes in various local committees, the fire in his house etc, etc etc etc. All are downloadable as printouts. Should put much flesh on his genealogical bones.

Cheers

Johnzee

Tederator
04-09-2008, 1:46 AM
Hi Johnzee,
Sorry I have not got back to you, we've been moving into a new home and all the hassles that entails. Thank you for the info on the 'Papers Past', I shall certainly be looking into that, sounds very interesting.

Cheers

Ted.

Tederator
10-10-2008, 4:01 AM
I'm glad to say that I have at last had some success at finding Amelia King.
I found that she was born in Sunderland Co Durham England March Quarter of 1853 youngest daughter of parents John and Amelia King, nee Gooderick, she was taken with her parents and siblings on board the ship Cashmere departing Gravesend to NZ 10th June 1859 and arrived Lyttleton 11th October 1859. I have found the passenger list for this ship.
From this information I have been able to find her parents marriage and birth of her older siblings.
I would like to thank all those who replied to my posts on Amelia King, you have been a great help to me in my search for this elusive lady.
Thank you all again.
Cheers
Ted.

Tederator
10-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Hi all,
Regarding my last post regarding Amelia King, I regret to say that that information appears to be incorrect after further research, I do apologise to everyone most sincerely about this, I took a leap before I looked. I shall have to do a bit more research on Amelia King.
My thanks to all once again who replied to my previous posts, your help was most appreciated.
Cheers
Ted.|banghead|

Johnzee
07-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Hi Tederator

some Benzoni references

Evening Post, (Wellington NZ on PAPERS PAST) all adverts

25/11/1910 - L A Benzoni a rep. selling motocycles.

13/11/1885 - Benzoni and Seymour - The Valley Steam Saw Mills, Ohariu (sale of timber)

25/4/1887 p 3 - notice of the bankruptcy of Charles Thomas Benzoni

Cheers

Johnzee

Tederator
07-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Hi Tederator

some Benzoni references

Evening Post, (Wellington NZ on PAPERS PAST) all adverts

25/11/1910 - L A Benzoni a rep. selling motocycles.

13/11/1885 - Benzoni and Seymour - The Valley Steam Saw Mills, Ohariu (sale of timber)

25/4/1887 p 3 - notice of the bankruptcy of Charles Thomas Benzoni

Cheers

Johnzee

Thank you for that information Johnzee, I recently found a cemetery notice on line with details of Louis A Benzoni's death, I think the cemetery is at Waikate, is that how you spell it, near Auckland.
It seems that C T Benzoni went bankrupt because his partner in the sawmill pulled out of the business and left Charles with all the debts, but Charles Thomas Benzoni went to become a prominent person in Wellington, he was Grand Master at his lodge and also served on the Wellington Council for a couple of years He had quite an eventful life, serving in the British Army and fighting in the China Wars also the Maori wars in NZ, can't remember the details off hand but I do have them.
Still having a problem with finding his wife Amelia King, she must have been born in England, I thought I had found her on a shipping list but I'm not sure if I was on to the right person.
Thanks again Johnzee

Ted.

Chisel
11-03-2009, 7:37 AM
Have you tried here? http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz

Tederator
11-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Have you tried here? http://bdmhistoricalrecords.identityservices.govt.nz

Thank you for that link Chisel, is that something new? I've never seen it before. I found the marriage for Charles Thomas Benzoni and Amelia King and birth records for two of their sons Charles Matravers Benzoni and Louis Alexander Benzoni but both have different Mothers according to that record, Charles Matravers Mother was Amelia and Louis Alexander's Mother's name was Ann Alice, something strange there I think. I shall be ordering some printouts very soon now, thank you once again

Cheers

Ted

Chisel
11-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Site recently came on line and was notified a couple of threads previous.
This site tells you who the mother & father are which most other sites don't. Takes some of the guess work out of ordering certificates.

Also did you mean Waikumete Cemetery? LA Benzoni is buried there. This is another new webpage.

And the BDM site also says for the really early marriage searches swap the wife/husband surnames around Eg. Benzoni in wife tab and Amelia in Husband tab) confused? read the instructions on the web page.

Tederator
05-11-2009, 11:04 PM
I have just received from NZBMD a printout of the marriage details of Amelia King and Charles Thomas Benzoni, it was said that a printout contained more information than a certificate, I was disappointed, it contained no more info than I already know except for the names of witnesses and the officiating minister. I think there ws a bit of a porky about Charles's age though, it was stated that he was 37 years of age that was in 1874, seeing as I have records saying that he was born in London in 1832 in which case he would have been 42 years of age, his brother Albert Benzoni was born in 1837. Amelia was only 24 at the time so perhaps Charles did not want to seem to be that much older than Amelia. Just a trivial matter really, what does it matter?

Ted.

Tederator
04-01-2010, 5:17 AM
Benzoni, Frances Eleanor Sophia, 107 Cuba St, Spinster
E/R 1914,Wellington
Benzoni, Frances Eleanor Sophia,Grand Central Hotel, Spinster

Hi Chisel,
I have been looking for a birth record of Francis Eleanor Sophia Benzoni, daughter of Charles Thomas Benzoni and Amelia Benzoni nee King for quite a while with no success, I have found her three brothers in the NZ records but not Frances, I wondered if you could do a look up for me please. I would be grateful for your help.

Cheers

Ted

Chisel
05-01-2010, 12:50 AM
When do you think she was born???

Chisel
05-01-2010, 1:29 AM
Too slow.....
BENZONI, Frances Ellenor Sophia (sp as per fishe) bi2175 Sept Q 1875 Wellington.

Also...
BURIED
BENZONI, Amelia, 1925 Karori Cemetery, Wellington
CV (Peter) 1935 Andersons Bay, Dunedin
Charles Thomas, 1914 Karori Cemetery, Wellington
Ella Agnes May, 1954 Karori Cemetery, Wellington
Frances Eleanor Sophia, 1969 Karori Cemetery, Wellington
HMO Pte, 1945 Karori Cemetery, Wellington
Louis Alexander 1965 Waikumete Cemetery, Auckland

Karori cemetery http://www.wellington.govt.nz/services/cemeteries/search/search.php
|jumphappy

Tederator
06-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Too slow.....
BENZONI, Frances Ellenor Sophia (sp as per fishe) bi2175 Sept Q 1875 Wellington.

|jumphappy

Thank you for that info Chisel, very interesting, Frances brother Charles Matravers Benzoni was also born in 1875 so I wonder if they were twins, I searched in the NZBDM on line and no record came up for Frances, I have not got a certificate for Charles yet but it will be interesting to find out if he was born in the Sept Q for 1875, would be if he is Frances twin.
My apologies for not replying sooner but I have been setting up a new computer system.

All the best

Ted.

Chisel
07-01-2010, 1:57 AM
Unlikely as I would have noticed both names together. I'll re-check the childrens birth dates this weekend.

FYI The on-line index has been transcribed by people in another country (so I'm told) (cheapest cost) and that there are errors in it.|soapbox|

The fische's are more likely to be correct.

Tederator
08-01-2010, 3:28 AM
Thank you Chisel, if the index was done in another country they have missed one child. Is it possible to purchase fische? if so where would they be obtainable? The NZ Benzoni Family is intriguing me as the record shows that Charles and Louis had different Mothers, same Father, or is that another error by an overseas country.

Ted.

Chisel
09-01-2010, 1:14 AM
Search for NZSG they have, and I recommend the Burial Finder & Marriages 1836-1956 cd. I believe the fische are very expensive, however they will be able to advise you.

The NZSG Marriages cd has only 1 marriage recorded for Charles Thos Benzoni to Amelia King 1874.

The NZSG Birth Index Fische have nil Benzoni births between 1870-1874 & 1880-1884.
1879 Benzoni, Louis Alexander bi3500
1878 Benzoni, Henry Moule Ormond bi2317
1877 None
1876 Benzoni, Frances Ellenor Sophie bi2175
1875 Benzoni, Charles Maltravers bi1218 (spelt different online bdm)

Sorry I forgot to check the district (will do another day).

Frances may not show in the online BDM if they have mis-spelt Benzoni!!
Only way to tell who the parent is is to buy the certificate - the later birth index records the mothers name.

Tederator
09-01-2010, 4:15 AM
Thanks for that Chisel, that solves the matter of Charles and Frances being twins, quite close together those births though, up to now I always thought of Frances being the youngest. Not so it seems.

Ted