PDA

View Full Version : Brilliant workhouse finding. But has thrown up a new query?

benny1982
22-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi

At the LMA a few weeks ago I found the very useful register of "Admissions and Discharges to Workhouse in Holborn Union District" 1860-1900. This proved to be a goldmine as this contains all the workhouse admissions and discharges of every institution in the Holborn Union District, arranged by surname, then in the first column, the name of the particular workhouse they went to eg, Grays Inn Workhouse, Clerkenwell Workhouse, City Road Workhouse, Highgate Infirmary or Mitcham Workhouse and I found the Infirmary admission of my ancestor Thomas Roberts in the composite register where the original registers for Holborn Infirmary have not survived. I was ecstatic at that but it has also thrown up a new query. See below:-

In November 1878, Thos Roberts and his family moved to 69 Leather Lane in Holborn, after losing money on a beer house in Walworth in South London. They were so destitute that they applied for poor relief on the 2nd December that year. All the family members appear in the relief application. The register says "Whether Husband, Wife Or Child Sent to a Workhouse, Asylum or elsewhere, state particulars of each chargebility" it says "Yes", meaning they were sent to a workhouse. They became chargeable to Clerkenwell, probably meaning Clerkenwell would pay for their relief.

But there is no record of any of my ancestors going into any of the workhouses in the Holborn Union District at that time according to that above mentioned composite register of Holborn Union admissions and discharges.

Two years later by 1881 census the Roberts were living just round the corner from 69 Leather Lane at No 9 Portpool Lane, Holborn and Thomas was a night watchman and two of his daughters were now tailoresses so they were back on their feet again so they stayed in the Holborn area from 1878 onwards until Thomas and his wife died in 1886 and 1889.

Was every workhouse order actually succeeded or would they have withdrawn their relief application at the last minute or something? Or just recieved Out Relief instead? It is strange why I cannot find a workhouse admission for them.

Ben

Peter Goodey
22-06-2008, 12:32 PM
They became chargeable to Clerkenwell, probably meaning Clerkenwell would pay for their relief.

That doesn't really sound right, does it? In 1878, Clerkenwell was part of Holborn Union so Holborn couldn't have charged anyone else for it.

Is there any possibility that the entry could be interpreted in any other way?

There's this document that might possibly be of some interest...

1878-1881 Relieving Officers' report of examination: Clerkenwell Division HOBG/513/3

benny1982
22-06-2008, 1:06 PM
Hi Peter.

I havent looked at the Clerkenwell Division yet as I got the report from the Holborn Division but it might be a good idea to in case they are mentioned in there. Would there be any chance of me uploading the image to this site at all for others to help enterprit the document? It said Clerkenwell in the "Where Chargeable" column

I wonder why they didnt go to the workhouse if it say they were to?