PDA

View Full Version : Albert Cooper James and Edith Mary James (nee Scudder)

SeaCopRimmer
21-06-2008, 8:01 AM
Can anybody point me in the right direction please? I am searching for Albert and Edith who left their young son (Alan Cooper James) in England and went to America, where it is believed they divorced and then ...............?
I have the marriage certificate (dated 1 Nov 1911) for Albert and Edith which gives their ages as (both) 21 living in Duke Street, Southport, Lancashire; Albert's father is George James and Edith's father is Stepeh Scudder. Alan Cooper James (born 29 Feb 1912 in Rochford, Essex) was adopted (here in England) by a 'Todd' family. Any help would be appreciated. Take care, SeaCopRimmer:)

Sheridanfine
22-06-2008, 7:34 PM
Hi

Not sure what info you have but I have searched A* and have only found info for Albert arriving in the US. Unfortunately I haven't found anything at all for Edith.

You may well have this...

"Celtic" sailing from Liverpool 9th July 1921, arriving New York 18th july 1921

Albert Cooper James, age 30, D (divorced), Decorator
Last residence, Southport England
Name of friend, Mr W. Todol?, 25 Birch Road, Southport, Eng.
Final Destination, San Francisco, Cal.

Does not have a ticket to final destination
Ticket paid by self
Has $50 ($600)
Was in the US before, 1910 to 1911 Mass(achusetts)
Going to brother, Mr George James, 644 Capp St., san Francisco, Cal.
5' 7'', Brn hair, Blue eyes
Born, Swinton, England

I have also found Albert and his brother Lambert, arriving New York 14th March 1910 on the ship "Baltic"

....and they are both on the 1910 census, living as boarders in the household of Leonard Clement at 29 Stubbins Street, Springfield Ward 5, Hampden, Massachusetts. Albert's occupation is shown as Painter, House and Lambert's is shown as Carpenter, House both are working on "own account"

I cannot find anything else for Albert, although I have found Lambert and another brother George in the census and passenger lists.

The only other thing that turned up when doing an internet search was a death on "find a grave".....there isn't a birth date and it looks like it has been submitted by someone who isn't a family member.

Albert Cooper James
Birth: unknown
Death: Feb. 4, 1922

Burial:
Alhambra Cemetery
Martinez
Contra Costa County
California, USA

Record added: Oct 3 2007
By: A Seeker

The only coincidental thing is that Albert's brother George was living in Contra Costa, California in 1920 census.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Yvonne

SeaCopRimmer
22-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Hi Yvonne
thank you so much - there is so much information there, it's brilliant; it has certainly given me a few new leads;)

SeaCopRimmer
23-06-2008, 2:08 PM
Hi Yvonne
Well, now that I and my friend have had time to take in all the valuable information we are a touch gobsmacked that so much is available (if you know where to look);)
I wonder if I dare ask another favour? I have researched the families here in UK and got back a long way with Census Returns and Parish Records but have no access to USA information. Is it possible you can find more information about George and/or Lambert James, please? If you don't have time I understand fully and really appreciate what you have already found for Pat.
Take care
SeaCopRimmer (aka Gladys)

Sheridanfine
24-06-2008, 6:07 AM
Hi Gladys

Sorry didn't get online yesterday so didn't see your message. I will look more this evening when I finish work but here is some info that I found whilst looking for Albert.

Lambert James and Lily Rickerby married 1912 March quarter, Ormskirk Lancashire

...and here is their info for their arrival in US

"Franconia" sailing from Liverpool 2nd April 1912, arriving Boston, Massachusetts 10th April 1912

Lambert James, Carpenter ans wife Lily James
last pemanent residence, Springfield USA
Parents, Mr & Mrs James, 178 Dukelt?, Southport, Lancs
Going to, Springfield Mass

Lambert - 5' 5'' fresh complexion, brown hair, blue eyes, born Swinton
Lily - 5'5''fresh complexion, light hair, blue eyes, born Southport

There is an address for their home in Massachusetts but I cannot read it unfortunately.

1920 census, Seattle, King, Washington

Lambert James, age 30, wife Lily, age 30, son's Kenneth age 6 and Lambert age 5

1930 census, Lambert and family are in Los Angeles, California

I will give you the details later...

California Birth Index

Name: Lambert James
Birth Date: 14 Aug 1914
Mother's Maiden Name: Rickerby
Birth County: Los Angeles

California death index

Birth Date: 4 Feb 1889
Birthplace: Other Country
Death Date: 8 Jun 1977
Death Place: Ventura

World War I Draft Registration Cards

City: Los Angeles
County: Los Angeles
State: California
Birthplace: England
Birth Date: 4 Feb 1889
Race: Caucasian (White)
Roll: 1530802
DraftBoard: 6

if you want images, just let me know.

Will post more later

Best wishes

Yvonne

SeaCopRimmer
24-06-2008, 5:25 PM
Yvonne
I don't know what to say and neither does Pat or her brother! We are in awe of how helpful people can be to complete strangers - I know that we are all family historians but you've gone above and beyond - you are an |angel| Thank you so much
Take care
SeaCopRimmer
(aka Gladys)

Sheridanfine
24-06-2008, 7:53 PM
Hi Gladys

It really is a pleasure to help out.

As you have posted your email address, I am going to send you the images rather than transcribe them here.

I am late logging on to the forum as I have been doing some searches because I was really hoping to find something for Edith (maybe with a mis-spelling of her name!) but I just cannot find anything. I have even found another of the James' brothers going over...William.

Stand by for some emails....

Very best wishes to you all

Yvonne