PDA

View Full Version : Fancy unravelling a mystery anyone?!!

Spangle
21-06-2008, 1:43 AM
Can anyone work out what on earth was going on in my Great Great Grandparent's household please? Is it illigitimacy and/or bigamy, or are we talking widowhood here?

I'll try to explain.....

The lady causing my confusion is Emily Teatheridge, nee Wing, born 1823 in Lambeth.

On the 1851 census Emily is detailed to have been a needlewoman and a visitor to James Teatheridge's house in Lambeth, together with her young children, George, James and Emma. These children all bore the surname Wing, as did Emily herself. James Teatheridge is described as married yet there is no wife on the census. Emily too, it looks like, was described as married, although the wording is crossed through so I can't be certain. Again, there is no spouse of hers in that household.

The 1861 census sees James Teatheridge and Emily Wing living in a house in Camberwell, St Giles, with an older woman, Susan Gold. James was the head of the household and Emily is described as his housekeeper. I can't access the 1861 census copy so have no idea what her or James' marital status was at that time. I can tell you this though... although Emily's name was still Wing, her children were all now called Teatheridge! What's more, she had given birth to two more, John, and Alice Matilda, who were also called Teatheridge!

It wasn't until the June quarter of 1864 that Emily Wing and James Teatheridge were married, in Lambeth. (James is mis-transcripted as James Featheridge on the Free Births Marriages and Deaths website but I don't think for one moment there is any doubt that it's our man).

All this had up til now led me to believe that Emily had been "living in sin" with James and that their children were illigitimate. This seemed logical to me as James had in 1842 married a woman called Margaret Whiteley (at St Martins in the Fields), with whom he had had 2 children (maybe more but if there were I have yet to find them), Maria Ann, born circa 1841 and James Albert, born circa 1843. As we have seen, by the 1851 census, James was living without a recognisable wife in sight and Emily Wing and her Wing children were his visitors. I have searched for the whereabouts or death of a Margaret Teatheridge or Margaret Whiteley and the 2 children, to no avail.

I have discovered that at this period in history divorce was pricey and not a luxury the working man could afford. Hence "civil divorce" became the norm... the parties would just seperate and there was a lot of bigamy going on. I assumed that such a seperation must have been the case with James and his first wife.

Now I am going over it I am wondering though... it might just be possible that Emily Wing had herself been married before and that her children... or at least the 3 who were visiting James with her in 1851 if not the 2 born subsequently and given the name Teatheridge at birth.... were the result of a former marriage. Maybe she took up with James, he took on her first 3 children, then she had Alice and John by him, so having given Alice and John the fathers surname, changed the names of her first three children as well.

Alternitively, maybe she was an unmarried mother prior to meeting James Teatheridge and the first three children were thus the result of Emily's relationship with a completely different man and were called Wing because that was Emily's own family name.

Would anyone have any ideas please?

Also, would someone be able to access the 1861 census please in order to discover the marital statuses of both James and Emily? I did have it on my tree held on the A website but somehow it seems that the copy of the record is the wrong one and now that I am no longer a subscriber I can't access the correct original copy.

Finally, can anyone please tell me how I might go about finding out what happened to James' first wife, Margaret Whiteley, and her 2 children? I have searched Free BMD and have in the past searched the census returns but to no avail.

All suggestions would be very helpful and greatly appreciated, thank you.

PS Watch out for the various spellings of Teatheridge... the details I mention refer to the family variously as Featheridge and Seatheridge, and from time to time in other records it's been spelled as Titheridge, Tetheridge, Titheredge, Tetheredge, Teatheredge and the like!!!

Waitabit
21-06-2008, 3:56 AM
Well Spangle, you have a doozy there,..
I went to 1861 search & no matter what way I spelled it, they say there were none of the names you mention....& yet,

I put the Teatheridge James in "search" & up came 3 variations of James in St,Giles & one in Kew. 1861. Under James ,these came up in 'view'.......

Name Age
Susan Gold 56 London 1
Alice Seatheredge 4
John Seatheredge 3
James Seatheredge 6
George Seatheredge 14
James Seatheridge 49 b.Norwood surrey 1812
Emily Wing 38

Try as I may I can't get up this image. Images come up two to a page as "Rise?" Road but none of the above people who were in Orchard Row 1871

I looked either side in images in case they were 'nextdoor' but found them NOT. You may need longer search or a visit to LDS or somewhere with the original images. Sorry not to help. If time allows I'll have another squiz for you a bit later, meanwhile someone may have already cracked it.|jedi|

Good Luck

Eve Foreman
21-06-2008, 4:36 AM
And I have tried too and encountered exactly the same problem as Waitabit.

If you can't easily get to visit a centre with the full census on microfilm to trawl through the district, how about emailing the Ancestry support centre and reporting it as a fault. The images they bring up just do not correlate with the index and as Waitabit says, looking either side of the pages you're directed to, yields no results either.

Let us know how you get on.

Eve

Waitabit
21-06-2008, 4:38 AM
Couldn't just leave it there, had another pop all the way back to page 1.
Then tried just the given ...RG9 piece:381;Folio:29 page 24. Same page image came up as before. In between the two pages is the RG9 "piece382".

That's it until inspiration steps in (if I can find that) :confused:

Tried 1861 for a neighbour John DEller, actually got the correct images BUT no John Deller or anyone you need. Several of the images had only one page visible tho' it should have been two, the one below showed only a glimpse of the page top.

Sorry Spangle, over to you & the "A" problems department.
ciao
Wendy

michaelpipe
21-06-2008, 6:42 AM
Hi Spangle

From the Image (on British Origins)

Location details
County London, Surrey
Sub District 2 CAMBERWELL
Registrar's District CAMBERWELL
Enumeration District No 17
Parish ST GILES
City
Town
Street ORCHARD ROW
Street Number 12

Reference details
Census 1861
TNA Ref RG09-0381
Image No 58
Folio No 29
Page No 24
Entry No 21
Household 155
12 Orchard Row, St Giles

James Teatheredge, Head, Married, age 49, Metropolitan Stage Carriage Coachman, born Norwood, Surrey.
George Teatheredge, son, age 14, scholar, born Lambeth, Surrey.
John Teatheredge, son, age 8, scholar, born Lambeth, Surrey.
James Teatheredge, son, age 6, scholar, born Camberwell, Surrey.
Alice Teatheredge, daur, age 4, scholar, born Camberwell, Surrey.
Emily Wing, Relationship is stated as “housekeeper”, condition column is empty, age 38, occupation “housekeeper”, born Lambeth, Surrey.

Susan Gold is listed as a lodger in a separate household (Household 156) at the same address. No apparent relationship.
I have the image saved - perhaps if you pm me I can send it to you.

Michael

Spangle
21-06-2008, 9:57 AM
Thank you everyone! So it's not just my eyesight then!!

From what Michael tells me... thank you Michael... then there IS definately something odd here.

The master of the house is married but no wife is found and the housekeeper has a bunch of children who all share the master's surname, though she herself does not.... hmm......:confused:

What did they do to Margaret Teatheridge, nee Whiteley then? Bury her under the patio???!!!

As for the A people, if it takes them as long to sort this out as it did to cancel my subscription when I thought I'd hit an impenetrable brick wall, I may have shuffled off this mortal coil myself!! That said, they took my money when they shouldn't have and ignored my request that they return it and sort it out, so I reckon they owe me the correct census pages!

Michael, thank you for your offer, I'll pm you.

Waitabit
21-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Michael, Well done you... How did you ????????

michaelpipe
21-06-2008, 2:24 PM
Hi Waitabit,

No magic, I have a subscription to British Origins, so when the A*******y census fails to show results, I go to Origins Network, at least for 1841,61 & 71. Better accuracy guaranteed without so much requirement for lateral thinking or "creative genealogy".

Michael

*bunty*
22-06-2008, 6:09 AM
I was wondering how you magicked that one too Michael LOL |biggrin|. Nice work!

Regarding your intriguing family, I am guessing Emily and James were living as husband and wife despite her position being reflected as housekeeper in the census. I have a woman in the mid 1800s in my direct line who had three children who bore her maiden name (father unknown and not listed on any birth records). She then started living with a man and later married him, having several more children with him. So it can happen. This man did not have a pre-exisiting wife however ;).

What ever happened to Margaret Teatheridge? Have you searched for her under her maiden name in later census?

michaelpipe
22-06-2008, 8:32 AM
Spangle,

Any idea how old Margaret was at the time of her marriage, and where she was born? Might help in the hunt.

Michael

Spangle
22-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Spangle,

Any idea how old Margaret was at the time of her marriage, and where she was born? Might help in the hunt.

Michael

Sorry Michael, no... just that she and James married 8th Feb 1842 in St Martin In The Fields.

I have searched under both her married and maiden names and also searched for the children, without success... unless I missed it or made a cods of searching, which wouldn't be unknown for me!

Waitabit
23-06-2008, 4:00 AM
Spangle, I did wonder if this Lady may be you 'Margaret' Whiteley......

1861 Albert H.Whiteley 18 Alice S. Whiteley 13 Maria J.Whiteley 15 Thomas Whiteley 19.Piano Forte maker..with
Mary A.Peperell 40,wife.. Sophia Peperell 1, William peperell 42 Head step father.General sorter inPost Office

res. Grays Inn Lane St Pancras.

cheers Wendy

William Peperell wed Mary Ann Whiteley Jun1/4 1858 1a-853.
Marriage under Williams name the page no is uncertain..given as 8 [ 5 3] 3

Waitabit
23-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Please ignore the above, have just read your other thread re-finding 'Cousin Bill"...yeaaaaaaaaaaah.:D:D congrats.

This is why we need an icon for brickwalls atumbling. How good it would be to see them popping up allover the Forum.