PDA

View Full Version : How many more?????

topo60
20-06-2008, 4:14 PM
I have discovered two of my ancestors ended their days with a noose around their necks. The first was Edmund Bushby hanged 1st January 1831 at Lewes Sussex for setting fire to a hayrick during the Sussex Swing Riots. He addressed the people in the following words:-"I hope you will take warning from my fate, and, my dear fellows always attend to the Sabbath-day."
The second was Charles Bushby on 3rd September 1885 in Ballarat, Australia for shooting a Policeman in the back. The victim did not die but it was decided to carry on with the hanging anyway – as an example to others. He was quite calm, and in a clear, unbroken voice said:- "Gentlemen, I stand here before all and before Heaven, and I can look up and say, thank God I have not been guilty of murder, nor any attempt at murder. May the Lord have mercy on my soul"
topo60

pipsqueak
20-06-2008, 5:01 PM
I'm not sure whether to offer my sympathy or my congratulations on having found something interesting. I think sympathy is the correct response. It must have been horrible for their families and I'm sure they all suffered for it. It sounds as though Edmund died with some dignity. It's not everyday we can read our ancestors' last words.

v.wells
20-06-2008, 5:06 PM
I'm not sure whether to offer my sympathy or my congratulations on having found something interesting. I think sympathy is the correct response. It must have been horrible for their families and I'm sure they all suffered for it. It sounds as though Edmund died with some dignity. It's not everyday we can read our ancestors' last words.

Gracious me,yes! It must have stunned you no end to read about it. How terribly sad for the families involved. After all these years we can empathize with them.

pipsqueak
20-06-2008, 5:11 PM
One of my own ancestors was a ribbon salesman who, in 1862, had stolen from him sixty yards of ribbon, valued at thirty shillings. The thief was sentenced to ten years hard labour. Stern punishments were commonplace and I am sure that most people lived in fear of them. It wasn't always the guilty who were punished either.

topo60
21-06-2008, 1:46 PM
Poor Edmund Bushby he nearly didn't rest in peace - two men were caught trying to dig up his corpse and at the end of a newspaper article was the comment - "We have heard but cannot vouch for the accuracy of the report, that the spade was recognised as the property of a respectable surgeon at Littlehampton"
topo60

pipsqueak
21-06-2008, 5:25 PM
:eek: That's a long way south for Burke and Hare! Poor man. It just isn't fair....