PDA

View Full Version : Tracking immigrants to USA

perseus
19-06-2008, 8:45 PM
Is there any way of tracking someone after they have arrived in USA
Would there be any records of where people settled, woked, social security no?

Mahala
19-06-2008, 9:57 PM
Hi perseus:

What time period would you be looking at?

There are census records available up to 1930.

:)

Mary Anne
20-06-2008, 12:14 AM
also the Social Security Death Index...

Also land records, city driectories etc...

who are you looking for?

perseus
20-06-2008, 9:23 PM
Hi Mary Anne
I have a Jeremiah & Mary O'Shea who emigrated to USA in 1871 I think. I have a passage for Mary and have just come across one that may be jeremiah. They don't seem to have travelled together. They had a son James William who was born in Philadelphia in 1873. Mary and her son were on the 1881 census in England,
No further word of Jeremiah. Did he die or did Mary leave him?
I tried the censuses for Jeremiah but no luck as I didn't really have much to go on.

I have tried querying these names before but no luck with the USA connection.
Be great if you could help in any way

maggie

perseus
20-06-2008, 9:25 PM
Hi Mahala

Please check message I left for Mary Anne. You'll see the time frame is 1871 to 1881 for Mary & her son James. For Jeremiah 1871>>>>>>

Thanks

Maggie

Mary Anne
20-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Maggie

What about this chappie, boarding in Monmouth in the 1881 census? says he's widowed, but... http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/search_census.asp

I found a couple of Jeremiah O'Sheas who came over through Castle Garden - only one seems to have come in 1871, but he seems the wrong age (24)...http://www.castlegarden.org/quick_search_result.php?p_first_name=jeremiah&p_last_name=o%27shea&m_arr_date_start=1870&m_arrival_end=1880&submit.x=56&submit.y=9

On FreeBMD, there are a couple of deaths of Jeremiahs that may be the right sort of age:
Mar 1897, age 66; Chorlton, Vol. 8c, p. 537
Mar 1900, age 70-80; Thanet, Vol. 2a, p. 807

What about checking the marriages of Mary's son?

That's about all I can think of at the moment. It looks as if they came and only stayed a few years before going back. The only otehr hting I could suggest is checking the directories for Philadelphia for the years you think they were there...the local family history society may be helpful with that, since I doubt they are online (although I could be wrong!). Do you have James William's birth registration in Philadelphia? it may provide some clues...

Mary Anne

perseus
21-06-2008, 2:33 PM
hi Mary ann
I thought i found jeramiah in 1871 sailing to USA . He was a harness maker. Jeremiah in 1871 census in england was recorded as a saddler!

I know who & when James William (now known as William james) married.

My assumption was that jeremiah didn't return to UK but that may be wrong.

I have made a couple of queries re James birth but have come up with nothing. The Phildelphia birth records would be great and maybe I would find him. How to go about it? I understand that ther births were registered by the name of the doctor. Is that so? Another hurdle!

Cheers
Maggie

Mary Anne
22-06-2008, 12:11 PM
Maggie

Hmmm. That's interesting if there was oen a saddler and one a harness maker. But clearly your man couldn't have been in two places at the same time!! I would plump for the harness maker who sailed. Then assume he is in Philadelphia and follow the trail form there. Indeed, he may have stayed there while wife and son went back.

As for Philadelphia births - you have me there, I do not know how they were organized. I would get in touch with the Philadelphia or Pennsylvania family history societies. Just goolge for them. Here's a resource I found but I don't know anything about it... http://www.kindredtrails.com/PA_Philadelphia.html

And here's a site for the Philadelphia archives -- http://www.archives.gov/midatlantic/public/family-history.html They seem to have a lot of records.

See what films are available for Philadelphia from the LDS Church by searching their Library Catalogue.

Again, I would follow the trail in Philadelphia unless you get clues he went soemwhere else. Try city directories especially, you can get a lot from them, often. You might also try death records, although I think he would have died before the Social Security stuff took effect.

Good luck.

Mary Anne

perseus
25-06-2008, 5:15 PM
Hi Mary Anne
Thanks for the suggestions.
I decided that saddler & harness maker were the same trade!
Of course it may not be Jeremiah sailing in1871 but it's the closest I've got to a Jeremaih leaving UK for USA.
I'll try those web addresses you gave me.

I'll keep you informed.

Here's hoping

Cheers

maggie