PDA

View Full Version : Robert Johnston/Elizabeth Coulter

Francesc
18-06-2008, 3:55 PM
I am trying to find information about Robert Johnston b. 1883 in Rerrick Kirkcudbrightshire and Elizabeth Coulter b. c 1882. They married at Kinning Park in Glasgow 30 Jan 1906. Roberts occupation was a butcher.

Sue Mackay
18-06-2008, 5:35 PM
This looks like Robert in 1891:

Robert Johnston
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1884
Relationship: Nephew
Where born: Rerrick, Kirkcudbrightshire
Registration Number: 616
Registration district: Stewarton
Civil Parish: Stewarton
County: Ayrshire
Address: High Fullwood
ED: 2

There were a couple of Elizabeth Coulters born around 1882/3. Do you have her father's name from her marriage certificate?

Francesc
19-06-2008, 9:54 AM
Hi Sue,
Thank you. That is the same Robert Johnston. His mother (Marion Gillies)died of diptheria in Oct 1883 and he and his elder brother James (my Grandfather) were brought up by their Uncle, William Gillies in Stewarton. I can't find any record of their Father, Charles Fulton Johnston b. 1862 after this, though he was down as deceased on both brothers wedding certificates.
Elizabeth Hamilton Coulter's Father was John, also a butcher, and her Mother was Mary. I can't make out her maiden name.
I would love to know if there are any descendents of this couple.
Frances

Sue Mackay
19-06-2008, 2:48 PM
Thank you. That is the same Robert Johnston. His mother (Marion Gillies)died of diptheria in Oct 1883 and he and his elder brother James (my Grandfather) were brought up by their Uncle, William Gillies in Stewarton. I can't find any record of their Father, Charles Fulton Johnston b. 1862 after this, though he was down as deceased on both brothers wedding certificates. Elizabeth Hamilton Coulter's Father was John, also a butcher, and her Mother was Mary. I can't make out her maiden name.

I had a couple of credits left to use up on Scotlandspeople. You can probably find out a lot more on there.

Sad to say that Charles Fulton JOHNSTON also died of diptheria on October 20th 1883 in Town End, Kirkcudbright. He was aged 22 and was described as the widower of Marion GILLIES. His parents were James JOHNSTON and Elizabeth FULTON.

Elizabeth Hamilton COULTER was born on 20th June 1882 at 61 Kirk Street, Glasgow. Her parents were John COULTER (then a baker - is he going to be a candlestick maker at some point :D) and Mary BROWN, who were married in Glasgow (Gorbals) on 26th August 1879.