PDA

View Full Version : Charles Parker

ypom01
17-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Hello! I'm searching for the parents of my gg-grandfather. Charles lists Carlisle, Cumberland, England as his place of birth in 1837 on the 1871 UK Census record. However, as Charles Parker is as common as Don Johnson here in the states, I've not had the fortitude to weed through the 2 million+ records. Anyone able to do a bit of hands-on research for me? I feel the fact that he was born in 1837 is the problem. As I understand it, it is the very year that record keeping changed hands from Parish to Governmental. Is this right?

Thanks,

Michele

willow
17-06-2008, 12:14 PM
This is one possibilty...

1841 census HO107/175 Folio 10
Sarah Parker 40 b Ireland...Bobbin winder
Thomas Parker 15 b Ireland...Factory
Douglas Parker 8
Mary Parker 10
Charles Parker 5
Robert Parker 3
Botchergate, Carlisle, Cumberland

Sue

willow
17-06-2008, 12:18 PM
International Genealogical Index
Charles Parker
Christening: 03 JUL 1836 Saint Cuthbert, Carlisle, Cumberland
Father: Thomas Parker
Mother: Sarah

http://www.familysearch.org/

Heather
17-06-2008, 1:55 PM
I feel the fact that he was born in 1837 is the problem. As I understand it, it is the very year that record keeping changed hands from Parish to Governmental. Is this right?

Thanks,

Michele

Michele....while record keeping allegedly changed at that time, not all that many adapted to the new method right away. If you have a Mormon Family Research Centre near you, it might be better to look thru the church parish records for the year in question or for any other names or dates people give you. All of mine are before that time and therefore in the parish records.

Now....time for coffee in case that didn't make sense, grin.

Heather....Canada

ypom01
17-06-2008, 4:20 PM
Willow and Heather,

Thanks so much for the posts. I did look at the Family Search website but didn't find the record you sent me. HMMM Thomas and Sarah. GGpa did name first born Sarah E., and third son Thomas P. This could be a match but how can I know for sure?

Thanks again...Heather I've had a whole pot of coffee since 6:30 a.m. :)

Heather
18-06-2008, 1:19 AM
Willow and Heather,

Thanks so much for the posts. I did look at the Family Search website but didn't find the record you sent me. HMMM Thomas and Sarah. GGpa did name first born Sarah E., and third son Thomas P. This could be a match but how can I know for sure?

Thanks again...Heather I've had a whole pot of coffee since 6:30 a.m. :)

Just a quick note, but "naming patterns" in England follow certain guidelines, so to speak. John Smith marries Mary Jones and their first son would probably be "John JONES Smith". So with Sarah and Thomas as children's names, I would seriously look into this one. And as for being sure.....are we ever??? Nah, but you can be pretty darned sure once you do some more fleshing out of these people.

Good luck.....

Heather Figueroa, Moderator.

ypom01
20-06-2008, 8:10 PM
Heather, again on the "naming patterns", have another question for you...Was it uncommon for a man to name a son after a brother, when the brother would also name his son for himself? Well, was that as clear as mud?

Jan1954
20-06-2008, 8:15 PM
Okay, stay with me on this...

It could well happen if the brothers' father was being named after.

So...

George (grandfather)

Sons: George (eldest) and John (named after the wife's father)

George's son: George (named after the father and grandfather)

John's son: George (named after his grandfather)

I have a couple such instances in my family and I am still trying to sort them out - especially as they were baptised in the same ceremony |banghead|

v.wells
20-06-2008, 8:22 PM
I have at last count 6 William H's, 4 Robert's, Thomas, Mary Ann with many variations. A nightmare search it makes!|banghead|

bob graham
25-06-2008, 7:52 PM
In the words of the song " you ain't seen nothin' yet". My brick wall ends in 2 graham families in the same village where a thomas marries an elizabeth - 1 from each family. Check it out on IGI. Graham, Thomas, Allhallows, Cumberland, around 1820
bob