PDA

View Full Version : HALL

Barbara Hall
16-06-2008, 7:25 PM
I am an American who traced her HALL family genealogy back to Mundelfingen, a small town in modern Germany several kilometers from Switzerland. My ancestors left and arrived in New York in May 1854.

My cousin recently went to Mundelfingen and looked at old documents in the town hall. On one page was a "mysterious" reference to Thomas Hall who came to Mundelfingen from "Luna, England in 1696." The Catholic church records in the 1700s and early 19th century for this town list many Halls, so Thomas arrived with a large family or flourished quickly.

I have always felt the Hall name was unusual for a German heritage. Question 1:
I cannot find any reference to a Luna, England, although I have looked at some gazetteers, etc. Does that name make sense to anyone? Question 2: does anyone have any suggestions why an Englishman would have arrived in a small town in the what was then a part of Baden?

pipsqueak
16-06-2008, 7:59 PM
Ooh, how intriguing! I looked on GENUKI here: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Gazetteers.html
and looked up Luna. It was interesting to see that it came up with places within 5 miles of Luna, including one called HALL, but not Luna itself. The plot thickens....

zeno
26-06-2008, 3:23 PM
There are some several fairly close matches

Lund - near Selby, Yorkshire.
Lund - near Middleton-On-The-Wolds, Yorkshire.
Lunna - Shetland Isles.

Good Hunting

Wiggie
13-03-2009, 12:27 PM
There appears to be a place called Luna at Two Waters Foot, Liskeard, Cornwall.

However, whether or not this is the name of a building, a hamlet or house, I have no idea. Maybe one of the Cornwall members could say...

Dont know if you are still searching but I live near here and there is no village or hamlet of this name will try and make further enquiries if its a line you are still following.