PDA

View Full Version : St Giles Cripplegate

specspec
16-06-2008, 9:54 AM
I have ancesters who lived in Fore St Cripplegate between 1820 and 1840.
What schools would have been in the area at that time and where would i find information about students attending these schools.

The family name is Smetzer, James Smetzer the father was a Shoe/boot maker.

John Nicholas
16-06-2008, 10:34 AM
A first port of call might be a directory. I have the 1856 Post Office Directory of London, which shows vast numbers of educational establishments throughout London, including National Schools and British and British & Foreign Schools. In addition, there are yards of entries for private schools, which were probably one-man (or woman) bands. If you can get to see directories for the period you are interested in, you can probably compile a list of schools in the area. Then it might be a question of searching Access 2 Archives for any references to these schools. Don't hold your breath though - I doubt that much has survived from any but the most famous schools (but perhaps someone knows otherwise!)

John

Colin Moretti
16-06-2008, 6:13 PM
SoG publishes a very useful booklet An Index of London Schools and their Records, by Cliff Webb. It lists all known schools in the old LCC area, details of surviving records and their location(s). Schools are listed alphabetically by name, cross-referenced by postal district. The London Metropolitan Archives also hold a map showing the position of the schools at various times.

Colin