PDA

View Full Version : Colliery Labourer in Mexborough/Adwick?

JillyNutton
15-06-2008, 9:31 AM
Hi

I've been trying to find out about my husband's maternal grandfather Thomas Evans. I know that he was born approx 1879 but do not know where. He was a colliery labourer and was married to Harriet Limb at The Parish Church, Mexborough on 9th Sept 1907. His occupation was listed as labourer and address as New St, Mexborough. His father was also called Thomas and his occupation was listed as labourer.

My mother-in-law was born on 10/9/1916 - one of 9 children. On her birth certificate, Thomas was listed as a Colliery labourer and they were living in 46 Church St, Adwick Le Street.

I've tried to trace Thomas back through the census documents but there are loads of Thomas Evans of a similar age, with fathers also called Thomas. I am aware that their family probably followed work - so can't even be certain that they were born in Yorkshire.

I've looked through all of the Mexborough 1901 census docs but haven't come across a Thomas or Harriet or anyone I can link to them. I am afraid I don't know the coal companies or mines that he would have worked in.

I have been able to trace Harriet's family as Limb isn't too common.

I would be grateful if anyone can advise me on where I can look next? I live in Somerset now so getting up to South Yorkshire isn't easy.

Heres hopeful.

Jill

Geoffers
16-06-2008, 7:24 AM
Always tricky trying to solve this sort of problem.

Trying to work at this from another angle:

1. Who were the witnesses at the marriage in 1907? Any EVANS witnesses, or people known to be related?

2. Any other EVANS births in GRO index in the Mexborough area who can be shown to be related - especially any with unusual combinations of forenames? Try especially looking at births from Sep 1911 so that you can pick up the mother's maiden name - you then have two surnames to work with. Are there then any marriages in or about 1907 in or around Mexborough with those two surnames which are worth checking in case they relate to a sibling of Thomas?

JillyNutton
16-06-2008, 5:30 PM
Thanks Geoffers for getting back to me.

Unfortunately the two witnesses were Harriet's brother and sister - Cornelius and Hannah Limb.

I've been able to trace some of Harriet and Thomas's children via the GRO - but their birth has been registered in Doncaster , like my mother in law, which is the nearest large town.

Would the Parish records for Mexborough hold more information than on the their marriage certificate?

Another thought I had was trying to find out which coal mine he would likely be working at? Would he stay with the same coal company or would be go to whereever their was work? Isaiah Limb - Harriet's father travelled all over the place - starting in Leicestershire - could Thomas Snr have done the same?

I often wish I had the ability to time travel :)

Jill

Neil Wilson
16-06-2008, 5:52 PM
Hi Jilly
Not sure if Doncaster Local studies Library would be able to help, can't see a look up service but here is the details

http://www.doncaster.gov.uk/Leisure_in_Doncaster/Libraries/Archives_Local_Studies/Archives_and_Local_Studies.asp

eMail: [email protected] ([email protected]) | Telephone: 01302 859811
Address: Doncaster Archives, King Edward Road, Balby, Doncaster, DN4 0NA.

JillyNutton
16-06-2008, 6:54 PM
Thanks Neil,

I'll give them a go and let you know how I get on.

Jill