PDA

View Full Version : Down Under Visitor

Dargie
14-06-2008, 12:40 AM
I am travelling to the UK at the end of the year and will spend a week in Suffolk hopefully breaking down a few brick walls at the Bury St Edmunds Office.
However having thought that my main family tree line had been very considerate and stayed in Suffolk I now find that I have new branch packing up and travelling to Essex!:mad:
I will be staying with my son in London so could someone kindly tell me where I go in London to research Essex parish registers? There is no way I will have time to travel to Essex.
London is a very big place and I am an Aussie country girl so would appreciate some help!!
Alternatively some phone numbers for when I get lost would be good!:D
Marj.

michaelpipe
14-06-2008, 1:39 AM
It would probably be easier to go to the Essex Records Office in Chelmsford - it really isn't that far - 30 mins train journey from London, Liverpool St Station, and the records office is about 1km from the station in Chelmsford. That is probably easier than getting around London!!
Just remember to check them out first - you may need to book a reader.

Essex Record Office, Wharf Rd
Chelmsford, CM2 6YT
01245 244644

Michael

ChristineR
14-06-2008, 2:01 AM
Don't forget to check what films the Latter Day Saints hold - you can look at them in Australia - films of the same records held at the record offices. This will free up time to do other things.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp

Sorry if I am telling you something you already know :)

Christine

Dargie
14-06-2008, 2:42 AM
Thank you Michael and Christine.

Great suggestion Michael, 30 min in the train sounds fine. I'll drag hubby along for the ride and he can sit on a park bench for a few hours!
I have taken a note of the address details and I appreciate your suggestion very much. Yes, avoid London if at all possible!

Unfortunately Christine I have tried the LDS option with no success.

The three in my vicinity are either closed for renovations, do not have a family history facility, are temporarily out of business due to more important needs for the venue and the minister of one could give me no information at all regarding the family history department.:mad:

Maybe family history researchers are few and far between here in Gippsland. I always have a tinge of jealousy when I read of other forum members who have these centres close by. The Australian Genealogy Institute in Blackburn, Vic is quite good but I can't see that I will have a free day for the 3 hour trip there and back before I leave.

I agree it is important to do as much as I can before I go as do not want to be stuck in a record office all the time ( as nice as they may be!) That has pretty much worked, up till now, but only last night found that my great great uncles decided to hike back to Essex. This is a good discovery really because I could never find their Grandfather's birth in Suffolk so maybe I should look in Essex!|idea|

Many thanks again for your answers.

Marj.:)