PDA

View Full Version : PARSONAGE

Toronto
12-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Please can some kind soul help me locate an Emma PARSONAGE born around 1891 in Cheshire, England. She was shipped to Canada in 1904 as a Home Child, to Niagara on the Lake, Ontario. A friend in Canada located a marriage for a Mabel Emily Parsonage to a Joseph Twigg in Chathom, Ontario dated around 26th of Feb 1912.

I was hoping someone might be able to locate Emma in the 1911 census. To see if she was named Mabel Emily and if this Mable was born in Cheshire England.

Kind regards and my thanks
Mike Morris
Toronto Canada

Jan1954
13-06-2008, 6:11 AM
Hello Mike,

This looks like it could be Emma's birth registration:

June quarter 1891
Parsonage Emma
Altrincham District
Volume 8a
Page 215

I did not see either an Emily Parsonage or Mabel Emily.

Mary Anne
13-06-2008, 1:25 PM
Mike

I looked for Parsonage on Automated Genealogy for Ontario in the 1911 and she is not there. Suggests she either was not in Ontario at the time, or took the name of her adoptive family?

I assume you have found her in the LAC database of passenger lists for home children, since you have the info that she came to Niagara-on-the-Lake? If not, she is here: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/home-children/001015-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=59276&&PHPSESSID=58l9jako7kvv08pug73m82ece6

Have you considered getting in touch with the Ontario Genealogical Society - their member John Sayers is somewhat of an expert on Home Children, and may be able to help.

Mary Anne

Toronto
13-06-2008, 9:57 PM
Ah!! bless you kind people, I appreciate your suggestions and your kind look ups. You really are the best.

I do have Emma's parents in Knutsford. But sad to say her mother died and her father James married my great grandmother Ellen. The union created four children. But the father died in 1903. My great grandmother remarried a SMITH and moved into Oswestry, Shropshire around 1915. My gut feeling is that Emma from the first marriage a step daughter was the Emma who was shipped to Canada in 1904. I think my great grand mother could not afford to bring up all the children, she took care of her own and Emma was shipped out.

The marriage record in Chatham. Ont. Canada of Mable Emily Parsonage gave the right fathers name as James and his occupation as a labourer. But does not give her place of birth.

My thanks for your help.
Mike Morris
Toronto.

Jfremont
14-06-2008, 1:15 AM
There is another marriage that might be a possibility for Mabel Emily Parsonage to Frederick Leslie James dated 8 September 1911 in Chatham, Kent. The father of the bride is James Parsonage but mother of the bride is stated to be unknown. The age of the bride is 20 which matches. Unfortunately the birth place of Mabel Emily is not shown at first glance. If this is of interest PM me and I will furnish further details.

John

Toronto
15-06-2008, 9:37 PM
Yes please, I would welcome any info you might have located for this Mabel. But is this Chatham in Canada?

Kind regards and my thanks
Mike Morris
Toronto

Jfremont
16-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Yes this Chatham is in Ontario, Canada and is the same location the other marriage you have was held. It seems strange there are two Mabel Emily Parsonage's who married within a year of each other in the same town. I looked for a death of the husband of the first marriage, Frederick Leslie James thinking Mabel Emily got married again but found nothing. Also have been unsuccessful in locating anything in the 1911 census.

John

Toronto
16-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Many thanks John, this lady sure sets a confusing quest :))

I am assuming there are no Parsonage names during the 1911 Ontario census?

Joseph Twigg was listed as her husband the 26th of Feb 1912. Is it possible to locate Joseph during the 1911 census. I wonder if its possible Mabel was married to Frederick Leslie James for a few months the 8th of Sept 1911 then a few months later on the 26th of Feb in 1912 she married Joseph Twigg. Although her marriage cert says she was a spinster and only gave her unmarried name of Parsonage.

Kind regards
Mike Morris
Toronto

Mary Anne
16-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Mike

If you look at www.automatedgenealogy.com, on the 1911 census, you can see for yourself :) In Ontario, there are a number of Frederick James's and also a number of Twigg's, although the latter has lots of possible spellings (the only Joseph I could find was already married)...you would need to know their ages/birthdates and try to match those...

I would strongly suggest you contact John Sayers, of Ontario Genealogical Society, for he may know where to find out more about Emma and her life here after she was sent to Niagara-on-the-Lake. Often the Home Children sponsors documented follow-up on their charges. I know that the Home Children project, of which John is the principal researcher, has access to the hard copy records of the Waifs and Strays group that sponsored Emma, and that they are planning to add them to the Home Children database. I am sure John would do a look-up for you in the meantime...you could reach John through the OGS contact address [email protected].

Mary Anne

yessey
20-07-2008, 8:05 PM
Hi Mike,

I just came across another marriage for Frederick Leslie James. This was in 1923 in Caledonia, Haldimand County, Ontario.
He is listed as divorced (from Mabel I'm guessing).

It looks like Mabel and Frederick divorced shortly after marriage.

Lesley