PDA

View Full Version : Tinlin - Edinburgh Directory circa 1874?

Mary Anne
12-06-2008, 2:06 AM
Can anyone tell me if there was a Tinlin(g)(e) family living at 105 St. Leondards Street, Edinburgh, about 1874? Especially one that might have had domestic servants?

(alternatively, what as at 105 St. Leonards Street at that time??)

TIA

Mary Anne

JohnJ
25-11-2008, 11:16 PM
Comparing the 1876 maps with the present day, the same buildings are still at this address. This is a block of flats with 4 or 5 floors.

It can be seen here: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=t9q90ngr1kk6&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=28424314&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

On the other side of the road, at that time, was a large railway yard and coal depot.

In the 1881 census there were 9 households living in that stair. Mostly family groups, but within the flats there were also 3 lodgers and another had a visitor. No servants, which is also unlikely, given the type of address.

The family names were; Falconer, McLennan, Kinnear, Ross, Annand, Campbell, Robson, Japp and Graham.

Lesley Robertson
26-11-2008, 8:41 AM
Can anyone tell me if there was a Tinlin(g)(e) family living at 105 St. Leondards Street, Edinburgh, about 1874? Especially one that might have had domestic servants?

(alternatively, what as at 105 St. Leonards Street at that time??)

TIA
Mary Anne

If you can get your hands on (or get someone to look at) the Valuation Roll for that year from that area of Edinburgh, it only gives tenant heads of households, but should tell you if the family was there. There's a bit about the VRs in one of the stickies I put in the Gen Scottish forum.
The Scottish Genealogy Society are in Edinburgh, they might have copies of the local books (it came out annually for the whole of Scotland so takes up a huge amount of space, most archives (except NAS) only have their local ones) and be willing to seel you copies of the relvant pages. NAS has the lot, but they have to be ordered in advance as they're stored off-site. The good news is that they've started scanning them, but it's going to take a while.

Lesley