PDA

View Full Version : Susan Ross ( Lloyde Bennett ) Kings Pyon

SloopJB
11-06-2008, 12:10 AM
Please can anyone help my search for Susan Ross's family.
I think she married George Lloyd, see earlier thread about George.
When George died she later 1861 married William Bennett.

I found the marriage of Susan Ross and George Lloyd as expected on 23 August 1840 listed on-line in IGI.

It also noted Susan was aged 19. This is more or less consistent with Susan's age in the 1851 census 28.

By 1861 she has remarried William Bennett and her age is now 35.

I am thinking she may have been under age when she married George.

She could have been as young as 16. Her birth place is given as Kings Pyon in both census.

The only Susan baptism in K P or Weobley is Susan Ross 21 Mar 1824, mother Elizabeth Ross.

There is a couple Thomas and Elizabeth Ross whose children were baptised from about 1814 on, but this baptism stands out as only Elizabeth Ross is mentioned.

This could well explain why her father could have been a Poulton.

There is a baptism of a Elizabeth Ross and also an Ann Ross on 6 May 1798 daughters of John and Elizabeth Ross.

I have not found a marriage in K P or Weobley for Elizabeth Ross.

The plot thickens but I think there may be light at the end of the tunnel ? :)

janbooth
11-06-2008, 9:29 AM
Sloop,

On the 1851 census of Kings Pyon, next entry but one down from George & Susan LLOYD, is that of an Elizabeth ROSS, Widow, aged 70, born Radnorshire, Branquin - could she be Susan's grandmother???

In the 1841 census of Kings Pyon (HO107/426/16, folio 4, page 2) is John ROSS 45, Carpenter, Elizabeth 45, Mary 25, John 12, Emma 9, Martin 5 - all born in the county. I think the ages are correct but the writing is extremely faint. John is a widower by the 1861 census and still living in Kings Pyon.

If you order the marriage certificate of Susan ROSS and George LLOYD (September qtr 1840 at Weobley reg district, vol 26, page 267) or Susan LLOYD and William BENNETT (March qtr 1861 at Hereford reg district, vol 6a, page 658) this should clarify her father's name and profession.

Janet

SloopJB
12-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Thank you Jan.

How do you read that 1841 cenus ?
I have seen it on-line at the library it is very faint.

I had almost come to the conclusion that Susan was base born.

In IGI a likely batism lists no father's name.

Susan seems to have been born between 1819 and 1824.

I guess I will need to sort out all the Ross families and work by elimination.

I know there is more than one Elizabeth Ross arround.

Thanks again, John. :)

SloopJB
17-06-2008, 7:07 PM
Jan,

As you seem to have a talent for reading the 1841 census, did you find Susan and George Lloyd in 1841 perhaps ?

I would be very pleased to find them.

A reference or a .jpg file of the entry would be great.

I have tried searching in the local library myself but as you say the 1841 for Ledgemoor is so faint and perhaps that is why the couple do not seem to show up when you make a search.

Maybe the enty could not be read and they are therefore not in the index.

I wonder why it is so faint is it a problem with the original or when it was microfilmed ?

Does anyone know about this ?

Thanks again SloopJB

janbooth
18-06-2008, 12:15 PM
John,

I think they are in Lidgmoor Common, Kings Pyon on HO107/426/16, folio 9, page 11 right at the top of the page. See what you think, but it looks as if the family consists of George LLOYD, Susan and one child, a daughter aged 5 months. Her name is very faint but judging by the 1851 census entry it could be Sarah??

HTH

Janet

Peter Goodey
18-06-2008, 2:11 PM
it could be Sarah??

It is Sarah!

I would advise anyone using A*y to remember to turn off 'Enhanced Images' when struggling with a hard-to-read scan such as this.

Sloop: 1841 images are faint because they were written in pencil! Just something we have to live with.

SloopJB
18-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks Janet I will look again in the library.

Peter I did not realise that all the 1841 census was written in pencil.

Some I find very clear but this is very poor to the extent that there is nothing to see.

I am using the 100 % view so I guess the basic 50% would be better.
I will have to take a magnifying glass.

It still does not explain why they are not found in the index unless they could not be read when the index was created.

Are you both looking at the same image I am ?
Maybe you both come from the generation that ate a lot of Carrots.
I have not ate enough yet in my life time.

SloopJB :D

janbooth
19-06-2008, 9:23 AM
Not me, I hated carrots as a child!! I think it is due to experience in both looking at and transcribing hard to read census records, parish registers, etc. and it is always good to get confirmation from other people - thanks Peter - as nobody is infallible. Good luck with the rest of your research.

Janet

SloopJB
20-06-2008, 7:07 AM
Janet,

Thanks again !

Did you manage to read any other information ?
Such as the ages of George and Susan ?

I assume they were all born within the County and there was no one else in the household ?

Thanks also to Peter. Sarah does fit with later census information.

I always find it is best to ask a second oppinion without offering any information yourself, but this is not practical on a forum always.

You sometimes see what you expect to see.
If you don't expect anything you get a true second oppinion.

Anyway you guys are far to experienced to be troubled by any of that.

Cheers for now, SloopJB. :)

janbooth
20-06-2008, 3:30 PM
George is aged 25, an Ag Lab and what looks like a very faint y for born in county, Susan is aged 25 (I think), Sarah is aged 5 mths (again I think!!) and what I didn't spot last time but looks like a different household in the same house (at least it is the next entry down) is an Elizh ROSS, aged 80? plus Elizabeth ROSS, aged ?? (could be 11 - it really is too faint to determine with any accuracy).

Janet

SloopJB
20-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Janet,

Thank you once again.

This extra information is very helpful, it infers some sort of relationship between Elizabeth and Susan Lloyd nee Ross.

There is a death registered on 19 May 1845 for Elizabeth Ross aged 80 at Kings Pyon. This is likely to be the elder Elizabeth you have noted.

Does anyone else have any thoughts / information on how these Ross's maybe related ?

Thanks again, SloopJB. :)

janbooth
21-06-2008, 1:38 PM
John,

You really do need to order the marriage certificate of George LLOYD & Susan ROSS. This will give you the name and profession of Susan's father. Given that Susan gives her birthplace consistently as Kings Pyon, you can then search through the Parish Register of Kings Pyon and find her baptism. It could well be that her father is John ROSS, Carpenter, married to an Elizabeth in the 1841 census and it could be that he is the son of the Elizabeth ROSS I found in the 1841/51 census of Kings Pyon. However, at this stage it is only speculation and until you have the marriage certificate of George & Susan you know nothing for certain. In the 1851 census of Kings Pyon, John ROSS is a widower and it shows his son as a John Price ROSS which could perhaps be a clue to his mother's maiden name??? If the marriage certificate does confirm that Susan is the daughter of John ROSS, then his birthplace is shown as Bromyard, Herefordshire on the census records and you will then have to search through those parish registers to find out who his parents are and if his mother is shown as an Elizabeth ROSS, she could well be the person we have found in the 1841/51 census records.

Certificates can be ordered online at www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ Good luck

Janet