PDA

View Full Version : How much history is too much?

Ed McKie
09-06-2008, 3:54 AM
On my current project I am getting a bit concerned as to how much general history to include to flesh out the family times as it were. The usual instruction to budding authors is to consider your audience. However my audience is mainly children and grandchildren, mostly here in Oz.So when writing say of 178o in London, do I say the Gordon Riots occured this year, for the most part they will not know what I am on about. But it is an event that our ancestors in London would only have been well aware of. Do I mention the French Revolution ? and coming nearer to these times ( I am covering a hundred years period) what was the Great Exhibition ? How much can I borrow from Dickens ? I am sure you can see the problem. Has anyone dealt with this ? Assume "general knowledge" when you know darn well they dont have any :-)

Thoughts please- I have about 15 pages of A4 of "Family" history- how many pages of "general" history is too much?

Cheers..Ed

Dargie
09-06-2008, 4:13 AM
Hi Ed

Well if I was to give my opinion I would and will include as much general knowledge as I think is interesting.
As you say these events touched the lives of our ancestors greatly and helped make them and therefore us what we are.
I think you may be surprised at how much interest you may generate ,especially in the grandchildren.
I don't think that they need to currently have a general knowledge of these things, but you may awake a curiosity!.
Look at how much interest has been shown by the younger generation recently on Anzac Day.

After all they will only read what they want to read!:)

Have you considered a time line showing major events in the years covered? The time line can then be referenced to a more detailed explanation of events if the reader wishes to know more.

Just a few of my thoughts. I never think information is wasted. Once a school teacher always a school teacher!!:D

Marj.

michaelpipe
09-06-2008, 4:31 AM
I have to agree that all information is good, however to prevent any documentation becoming too vast, I tend only to include those matters which I assume or know would have had an influence on their lives. The relevance of some events that we now know changed the history of the time may have gone totally un-noticed by some of our ancestors, peacefully tilling their land, repairing cart wheels, or mending shoes in the depths of 18th century Suffolk. Other matters were of greater importance to them, such as how many pennies they might get for a sack of corn. So in this instance the cost of such an item would be worthy of inclusion - in my opinion.

dan46
09-06-2008, 4:39 AM
I've done about 3 chapters so far on my family history project, and have been including the historical events that my ancestors were involved in, as well as what their daily life would have been like during that period of time.
I've been writing a short outline of a given historical event, and then go into more detail about my ancestor's roll in that event, quoting what records I've found.
For instance when I wrote that my 7th generation grandfather fought in the, "French and Indian War", I started with a few paragraphs explaining what the conflict was about, then what my ancestor's roll was, and how it affected his family and others in the area. Thats what I've been comfortable with so far.
I guess the bottom line is if you feel like your including to much "general" history, then you probably are.

Dan

Jan1954
09-06-2008, 7:44 AM
Hello Dan,

I have a timeline set up so that I have an idea of what was happening when any of my ancestors were around, and how it may have influenced their lives.

For example, most people have heard of Henry VIII and his ships - especially the Mary Rose. A clutch of my ancestors were involved in the making of the ironworks for his vessels. So the general history of the time gives some idea of what life was like.

So, I echo Marj and Michael - provide context, but don't get overwhelmed with history.

dan46
09-06-2008, 4:57 PM
Hi Jan,

I agree, too much history can be overwhelming. I'm trying to give just enough background so the reader can get a feel for what that event was about, and what part my ancestors played in it. I think what gives me the most enjoyment in genealogy is finding more than just names and dates. When I dig up a historical record of any type that mentions one of my ancestors, its really exciting, and I'd like to do what I can to see to it that the information is perserved for the next generation.
I have my American line pretty well complete from 1633 to the present. Now if I can just get past that, "brick wall", and find some information on the Chesley's in England, I'd be one happy camper !

Dan

Ed McKie
10-06-2008, 2:07 AM
I guess the bottom line is if you feel like your including to much "general" history, then you probably are.

Dan

I am inclined that way myself, which is why I posed the question in the first place. I have done a timeline for this particular book, only for reference purposes, and to keep myself in line as it were. I had not intended to include it in the book, but will reflect on that now.

Thanks for all the comments.

Cheers..Ed