PDA

View Full Version : Great Grandfathers Medals

Kinnockthecat
31-12-2004, 12:27 AM
Hi All

Just thought I would share this with you.

My GGrandfather enlisted in the 19th Hussars back in 1872 and was discharged in 1884. He took part in the Egyptian Campaign in 1882/84 and was awarded the Egypt Medal and bar along with the Khedive Star medal.

As the years have passed the medals were effectively "lost" by being sold I presume. I'm not in contact with other members of the family through various reasons.

Earlier this month I had an e-mail from a kind gentleman informing me that the medals had come up for auction two years ago in 2002. I e-mailed the auctioneers and they were kind enough to get in contact with the purchaser for me hoping I could buy them back. Within a couple of days the purchaser had written to me offering to return the medals in exchange for another similar set of medals.

The outcome is I now have my GGrandfathers medals and as a bonus the buyer also gave me my GGreatfathers eldest sons WW1 medals that he had purchased as well!! A really good xmas present if I ever had one.

I suppose the point is don't give up thinking that things from your families past may have gone for ever. There are so many kind folks out there who are willing to help.

John Henry
17-10-2005, 11:48 AM
My gt-gt-g/father (mothers side), was awarded a VC at Alexandria July 1882, and like wise, the medals were always a question-mark. Where are they??
It was believed that my g/father had them and had brought them to Oz. Nobody in the Australian family had any knowledge of their whereabouts.
Through my research, I had found 2 other gt-gt grandsons,and we have become good e-mail pals; one in UK, the other in Honkers. We touched on the medal issue once or twice, all being unaware of their whereabouts.
Then in October 2003, I spotted the medals (3) for sale by auction with Moreton & Eden. Unfortunately the set of 5 had been broken-up, to be shared by his children (of his second marriage). One daughter ended up with 2 medals (Egypt and Khedives Star); the VC, with a spinster daughter; the others (Baltic and Ashanti; plus a Brazilian Order) ........?
The daughter with the 2,went to Canada; the VC was taken to Canada (by the spinster) and left there. It is thought that the others may have ended up in Ceylon (as it was then).
The three were eventually returned via the USA, to London, and auctioned for 75,000Pounds to an unknown (to me) buyer.
J H

Peter Goodey
17-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Two very interesting and relevant stories that we should all have learned something from! Thanks for posting them. I found them a welcome contrast compared to some off-topic froth elsewhere that I've just felt the need to moan about!

Geoffers
17-10-2005, 4:54 PM
I now have my GGrandfathers medals and as a bonus the buyer also gave me my GGreatfathers eldest sons WW1 medals that he had purchased as well!! A really good xmas present if I ever had one.
As someone who has been in the same boat for donkeys years, I'm really pleased for you. So nice that the medals have come home.

Sadly I remain having more in common with JH. though the prospect of stumping up such a large amount of money to try and purchase a VC so that it returns home would reduce me to tears. How sad that these collections are broken up.

For my family, thankfully we have my grandfather's CBE - but we would love to know where gt-grandfather Ernest Edward Lowe's medals went. He landed with the Naval Brigade in the South African (Boer) War and fought at several battles. He became the first recipient of what is now the Distinguished Service Cross (it was originally the Conspicuous Service Cross) in 1901. Along with his campaign medal and WW1 medals; it has sadly disappeared.

Geoffers

Kinnockthecat
17-10-2005, 5:21 PM
I'm glad my story has bought some interest to some of you.

It is a shame when medal collections are lost and or broken up. For me to have gained back the medals has been one of the worthwhile things I have done while researching my family history. However it was purely by chance and luck that I got them back. I am fortunate also to have a copy of my GGreat Grandfathers military record which helps fill in the details.

Those of you who can't afford to get them I fully sympathise, the cost of a VC etc. is expensive, but at least you can be comforted in the fact that whoever earned it did so in in a selfless act of courage and bravery. In fact most of the men and women who went off to fight in any conflict deserves our thanks.

All I can recommend is that one keeps searching, the internet fortunately is a powerful tool and can help enormously in looking for these things. My own grandfathers WW1 medals are missing and none of his children (my own father included) know what happened to them. I feel he (my grandfather) probably chucked them away. However I do have the medals from my mothers side of the family so that is some compensation.

SmoothJ
28-10-2009, 5:20 PM
I have just discovered that my grandfathers war medals were sold at auction in 2004, he served in India and received the GSM with clasps for two Burma campaigns, he also received the Queens South Africa medal with six clasps for various campaigns including the relief of Ladysmith. I emailed the auction house asking for info on the seller/buyer, they mailed back to say they had passed my message onto the purchaser and he may or may not choose to contact me. I am not holding my breath.

v.wells
28-10-2009, 6:21 PM
I have just discovered that my grandfathers war medals were sold at auction in 2004, he served in India and received the GSM with clasps for two Burma campaigns, he also received the Queens South Africa medal with six clasps for various campaigns including the relief of Ladysmith. I emailed the auction house asking for info on the seller/buyer, they mailed back to say they had passed my message onto the purchaser and he may or may not choose to contact me. I am not holding my breath.

I've got my fingers crossed for you SmoothJ! Hopefully the purchaser will have an attack of conscience and sell/give them back to you|hug|

Dizzy600
31-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi All,

Can I ask how you found that these medals were up for auction? I am interested in finding war medals that have been lost to the family over the years but I am particularly interested in finding the Olympic Gold Medal that my great grandfather won in 1912. I probably couldn't afford to buy it but it would be lovely just to see it....

Thanks

Karen

SmoothJ
01-11-2009, 9:14 AM
Hi Karen,
I found the site Invaluable.com while browsing Google using my grandfathers full name, he died in 1933 nine years before I was born.
This year with the help of my elder brother we have found grandfathers and grandmothers grave in Gosport, Hants and have been back to reset the memorial stones which were laying in weeds on the plot and filled in the centre of the kerbs with shingle, sort of gives you a connection with people you never knew. Have not heard anything from the purchaser of the medals
yet, I am thinking of contacting the Rifle Brigade Regimental association to see if they can help.

John.
PS
Invaluable.com is a portal for antiques and collectibles and gives info on past and upcoming auctions and lists many auctioneers, I contacted the auction house direct in my search.

Dizzy600
03-11-2009, 1:20 PM
Hi SmoothJ,

I will have a look at the site. Good luck with trying to get your medals.
Thanks
Karen

v.wells
03-11-2009, 3:33 PM
Thanks SmoothJ for the link to Invaluable dot com - I'm sure the site will be busier now :D