PDA

View Full Version : GedCom/Mac

pipsqueak
08-06-2008, 12:15 PM
I have just tried downloading a GedCom file to my Mac and it arrived as a Quicktime file (!!). Quicktime says "This is not a movie" |scold| and so I looked to see what other options were available. I tried Excel and this time I got the words on a page but not in the form of an easily readable chart. I could find the information, after a fashion, but it was complicated. This was only a two generation family tree - I tried the newest one first!

What is a GedCom file supposed to look like and does anyone know if it is really posible to read one on a mac?

Jan1954
08-06-2008, 12:23 PM
I would have thought that, as long as you have some sort of compatible genealogy software programme installed, you should be able to open it in that programme.

However, as I know nothing about mac computers (actually, not a great deal about computers in general :o) it may be wise to wait until one of the computer people answers.

michaelpipe
08-06-2008, 1:13 PM
A GEDCOM file will open in any word processing software but it will simply be a list of details that are not easily deciphered. This type of file is designed to open in all Genealogy Software, so whatever you run, simply 'import' the GEDCOM.

Assuming you have genealogy software you will have success - if you don't then you will need to download a freebie like Legacy.

(Sometimes when GEDCOMS are transmitted, for some reason they end up with a .txt file extension. If this is the case, just change the extension to .ged, and hey presto!!)

yorkshirecath
08-06-2008, 1:56 PM
You can download a program here that will allow you to view a gedcom file on your mac -
http://www.geditcom.com/

Cath x

MarkJ
08-06-2008, 2:24 PM
As others have said, a gedcom is a text file which is formatted in a way which makes it quite hard to follow if you simply open it with a text editor. Almost any genealogy program will allow you to see the gedcom displayed in an easy to follow way - I guess you don't have a suitable program.
There have been threads on the forum in the past about genealogy programs suitable for Macs, or, if you have something like Parallels or whatever the Windows emulator for Mac is called, you could use a Windows genealogy program.
There are lots of different genealogy programs out there - some are free, others quite pricey, with a range of prices between. Have a look for Mac compatible ones (or use a web based program perhaps?) which will allow you to view the gedcom.
The other way is to ask the person who sent the gedcom if they could send you the info in another format - e.g a document style thing or a plain text file.
Geditcom, as mentioned by Cath is free if you simply want to view the gedcom and shareware (i.e you make a small payment) if you wish to edit gedcoms yourself. I have not tried it myself (I got the info from their website).
Gramps, which is a free Open Source project, will run on a Mac, but depending on the method used to install it, you may find drag and drop doesn't work for example. However, I use Gramps myself (on a Linux system rather than a Mac) and find it good. There is plenty of help available from the developers if you get stuck too. But it probably isn't an ideal program to install unless you are vaguely familiar with installing non native programs on your Mac. But have a look at the wiki page and see what you think -
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Mac_OS_X

Mark

pipsqueak
08-06-2008, 3:11 PM
Thank you for your help - that was useful information!

pipsqueak
27-06-2008, 4:20 PM
For future reference, in case anyone else has a Mac problem, I have now purchased Reunion which is an excellent genealogy program written for Macs. I can import and export information to my heart's content now, and it is really helping me to sort out all my ancestors!

|hug|

Guy Etchells
27-06-2008, 6:13 PM
Gedcom - GEnealogical Data COMmunication is a type of text file design for easy transferring of information between genealogical databases.

Like all text files it may be read and edited in any text editor or word processor.
The best way of reading or altering a gedcom file is however through a family history program.

When importing a gedcom file into a family history program it is best to always import to a new database not into an existing database.

Cheers
Guy