PDA

View Full Version : Skinner, Tibenham

John Hutchins
30-12-2004, 9:55 PM
My GG Grandfather was the Rev. Frederick William Skinner, the Vicar of All Saints Church, Tibenham from around 1897 to 1931. Information suggests that his father was William Skinner and Elizabeth? but unconfirmed.
Would like to hear from anyone with relevant information.
Kind Regards,
John Hutchins
New Zealand

Geoffers
31-12-2004, 1:09 AM
My GG Grandfather was the Rev. Frederick William Skinner, the Vicar of All Saints Church, Tibenham from around 1897 to 1931. Information suggests that his father was William Skinner and Elizabeth? but unconfirmed.
Have you been able to find this chap on the 1901 census so that you have a rough age and place of birth? I might then be able to find him on an earlier census, if he was originally from Norfolk.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

John Hutchins
31-12-2004, 3:45 AM
In answer to your question, no, I haven't looked at the 1901 Census but I did look for him in the 1881 Census without much luck.

While unsure of his exact date of birth, on his memorial stone which lies in the All Saints Church grounds it states, " Sacred to the memory of the Rev. Frederick William Skinner, the beloved husband of Agnes Mary Skinner, for 34 years Vicar of this Parish, who entered into rest October 3rd 1931 aged 80 years"

This would put his birth date as abt. 1851.

Wether he was born in Norfolk remains the question?

Other information has him being Ordained by the Bishop of Norwich and Inducted in March 1897. And the date of his Institution being Feb 1987. I also know he was curate of Ashwellthorpe and Wrenningham prior to his appointment at Tibenham.

He also held degrees at BA Camb and BA London.

One LDS entry has a Frederick William Skinner b 9th July 1851 St Judes Whitechapel, Stepney, London with parents, coincidentally being a William Skinner and Elizabeth.....but? I am unsure how to establish the link.

Anyways thanks for replying and I don't know wether I've confused matters or not.

Kind Regards,
John Hutchins
New Zealand

Geoffers
31-12-2004, 9:36 AM
In answer to your question, no, I haven't looked at the 1901 Census but I did look for him in the 1881 Census without much luck.
......Whether he was born in Norfolk remains the question?
The 1901 census index http://www.1901census.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ records several SKINNERs in Tibenham, presumably they are one family, but you will need to check the relevant image to confirm this.

All in Tibenham
Frederick William SKINNER, 49, bn London, Stepney
Agnes, 49, bn London St.Pancras
Hilda, 17, bn Warwick
Winifred, 15, bn Cambridge
Gilber 13, bn Ashwellthorpe
Roland, 12, bn Ashwellthorpe
Marjorie, 7, bn Ashwellthorpe
Frederick, 4, bn Ashwellthorpe

One LDS entry has a Frederick William Skinner b 9th July 1851 St Judes Whitechapel, Stepney, London with parents, coincidentally being a William Skinner and Elizabeth.....but? I am unsure how to establish the link.It looks on the face of it as though you may have the baptism of your chap - however, you will need to obtain certificates to confirm this. I am assuming that you have documentary proof of your relationship to Frederick William SKINNER. If that is so, you will initially need to obtain two certificates; the marriage certificate for Frederick William SKINNER and also his birth certificate. If you are not sure how to do this, just ask and I'll type short guide for you.

Geoffers

John Hutchins
03-01-2005, 8:54 PM
Hi again,

Thanks for the look up.
I have no knowledge of: Hilda, Winifred, Marjorie, or Frederick. There is though a Gilbert and a Roland which given your information would suggest they are Frederick's other offspring.
My G Grandfather Cuthbert Skinner would have been 26 at the time of the 1901 Census so he would have left home at that stage.
Information would have Cuthbert studing at Cambridge University in 1901.
My Grandfather Edgar Skinner, was born in India 1910 so at some stage between 1901 and 1910 Cutbert arrived in India.
As far as gaining certificates go and proof of my connection, I established the link through my Grandfathers memiors where there was a copy of his background ( CV if you like) he had written supporting his application to become a Kings Indian Cadet in the Indian Army. He he writes of his Granfather as being " Rev. FW Skinner, Vicar of Tibenham"
Wether that is good enough I dont know?
Cheers

Geoffers
04-01-2005, 9:19 AM
As far as gaining certificates go and proof of my connection, I established the link through my Grandfathers memiors where there was a copy of his background ( CV if you like) he had written supporting his application to become a Kings Indian Cadet in the Indian Army. He he writes of his Granfather as being " Rev. FW Skinner, Vicar of Tibenham"
Wether that is good enough I dont know?
CheersEveryone sets their own standards, if you're happy with what you have then fair enough. However, and I don't intend this to be disparaging of your grandfather, memoirs can sometimes be slightly coloured to provide a 'better' picture - so as far as possible it is best to double-check everything.

I appreciate that doing so from a distance of several thousand miles will be difficult, but if you ever get the chance, you might try the British Library's Oriental and India Office Collections for details of your family in India.
www.bl.uk/collections/oriental (http://www.bl.uk/collections/oriental)

To proceed further back in time, you will need the birth certificate of F W Skinner, which will provide his parents' names and hopefully help you find them in census returns. If you are not sure how to search for and obtain birth, marriage and death certificates, just ask.

Good luck
Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire