PDA

View Full Version : Irish in NW and NE England 9th century conwards.

benny1982
03-06-2008, 6:49 PM
Hi

In the 9th century and the 10th ones, a lot of Irish Norse settled in Cumbria, North Yorkshire and Durham. They reckon that some of the men were of Viking and Scandinavian descent but married Irish women before settling in North England.

I, myself have Durham and Yorkshire ancestry, so I will have some Irish Norse blood in me from way back, a bit of the old Blarney in me. Surnames like Hodgson, Airey and Blair are said to be of Irish Norse origin. Also, the area of the Yorkshire Dales near the Westmoreland border when my ancestors lived in the 1700s was settled by many Irish Norse in the 10th century. So there has to be Irish Norse in me.

Also the same must apply for a lot of other people with North England ancestors.

Ben

Paul Becke
03-06-2008, 7:32 PM
I didn't know that. It's very interesting.

benny1982
12-09-2008, 8:30 PM
Hi

I also discovered that in my Scottish ancestors, the surname Dickson is a Pictish surname, and that many Picts married an Irish princess so it is more than likely that a vast majority of my North England and Scottish ancestors originated in Ireland so I probably have a few percent of Irish blood in my veins.

With all those aincent Irish names I do have some Irish in me at least if I ever did trace back far enough but cannot due to the lack of records for before 1538.

Ben