PDA

View Full Version : LOST Great Grandfather

davidevans
02-06-2008, 9:10 PM
Looking for Rees EVANS,possibly born abt 1830 +/- 5,possibly died 1867.He married Eliza Victoria DAVIES in Glascwm church Radnorshire Wales UK on the 24/11/1860.They were living in Glascwm on the 1861 census.On the 1871 census,no trace of Rees EVANS & his wife is now living with William ROGERS & there son Arthur Rogers EVANS b 14/12/1867, listed as stepson,so Rees EVANS was alive arround march time,cannot find a death cert:,can not find a marriage cert: for William ROGERS,there were two other stepsons on the 1871 census John and Price.Any ideas that could help me

v.wells
03-06-2008, 1:27 AM
Death BMD

Rees Evans b 1830 died 1867 age 37
Bridgend, Glamorgan Wales, vol 11a p 280 2Q

Hope that's the right one.

davidevans
15-02-2009, 6:40 PM
Hi Vanessa
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply,regret to say my computer crashed so i was off line for some time.
The Rees EVANS that died in June 1867 Bridgend Wales UK [ 11A280], is the only one that fits date wise. However I have the death cert: which gives me no information about his family ie wife.So I found a newspaper report, [ could not find a coronors report ]. This Rees EVANS committed suicide & the news report read as follows:-

CEFN
Distressing Suicide--- It appears that a man named Rees Evans,was found hung to a tree near Cefn works, on Monday morning last,a little after seven'o'clock. He left his house at an early hour to go to his work at the slip near Tondu, and was not seen alive afterwards. He was 37 years of age, and has left a wife and five children to mourn his loss. No cause has been assigned for the rash act.
Bridgend Chronicle Friday May 24th 1867

The slip near Tondu was a coal mine

When my Rees died he left a wife and two children[perhaps an error by the reporter]

Again this gives me no info about his family & I can not cross refer in any way to confirm that this is the right one although I can not find another that fits.

I am trying to trace Rees EVANS family back, but can not find out where he was born.The 1861 census says born Glascwm,but again the Parish records I have found for Glascwm do not confirm that. From his marriage cert: his fathers name was David. Have visted the area , found no grave.It seems he just appeared and then disappeared again with out trace, so it is still a brick wall.

Many many thanks for replying, it was very clever to find the only one that fits, hope it was not too much trouble, Thanks again. Dave

v.wells
15-02-2009, 7:09 PM
If you have the marriage cert you should be able to start finding the children unless you already have that information. If you are going backward I would start with the birth details. Have you tried IGI?

davidevans
16-02-2009, 6:51 PM
Hi again Venessa, I only have the marriage cert: for Rees EVANS and his wife Eliza Victoria DAVIES married 24/11/1860 Glascwm. I did find them on the 1861 census still living in Glascwm with no children.On the 1871 census no trace of Rees Evans,but his wife is now living with William ROGERS & his 3 Step Sons John, Pryce and Arthur. Could not find any emmergration record so I assume he died & whilst the Rees EVANS that died in Bridgend fits it is about 60 miles from his family in Glascwm, a long way by foot in 1867.
On the IGI I found a David EVANS & Anne with a son Rees Christened 30 Jan 1837 Tregaron , Cardigan Wales, no trace of any of these on the 1851 census, so I do not know his mothers name or the names of any siblings. It makes it more difficult because the name EVANS is very popular in Wales.

Thank you again for taking an interest, it is helpful to talk it over with someone, because you arrive at the stage where you can not see the wood for the trees as the saying goes, I gess I am at that stage, I have tried so many things that I am no longer sure what I have or have not done, I do know I have tried the same things many times.

Regards Dave

Mona
16-02-2009, 11:44 PM
So, Arthur Rogers EVANS was born five months after Rees died, and is down as the stepson of William Rogers in 1871!
|blush|Is it my warped mind at work that perhaps Eliza was "playing away from home" with William Rogers and Rees found out, hence the suicide!

As for tracing parents of Rees, from his marriage certificate, what is his father's occupation? It may help find him in 1851 or 1841.

davidevans
17-02-2009, 6:09 PM
Hi Venessa,
On the marriage cert: David EVANS is listed as a 'Labourer' not much help there. What occured to you also occured to me, but then I gess with two young children and one on the way anmd no income I gess she had to do something drastic, but as you say maybe that was the cause of the suicide or maybe he just could not take being a coal miner. Even now coal mining is a hard life but back then,very hard. Just a point about Arthur Rogers EVANS he emmergrated to Canada some where after 1905 when his youngest daughter was born, I am told to be a Lumber Jack, no trace of him after that, his wife annuled the marriage & remarried after nine years, having failed to trace him. He was hurn of again @ the begining of the second world war, when he sent a food parcel to his family. Interesting . Thanks again for your interest.
Regards Dave