PDA

View Full Version : Boston Goods Yard/Sation, and Firsby Station

Ann65
02-06-2008, 5:31 PM
Now, my Grandad John William Arthur Elston worked in the Goods Yard at Boston, Lincs. His son Arthur Elston worked his entire life for the railways - as a fireman (cir 1825), later an engine driver. But his sight wasnt up to scratch so he switched to become a stationary Engineman at Firsby Junction. My mum was born in a house on that station, and the platform was her and her brothers playground. Abt 1939 they moved back to Boston and my Grandad worked night shift, as a fire lighter. Eventually he became Boston Stations timekeeper. His 2nd wife Barbara Robinson (from Sleaford) worked in the canteen at Boston.
My mother kept up the tradition by working at Boston Loco for a while before marrying my dad, and after marriage and moving south she worked at Waterloo. Today my brother completes the cycle by being a railway conductor.

My brothers interest in railways, and in particular the now defunct Firsby Junction (we have been there many times and it was largely demolished in the Beeching Cuts abt 1974) means we did have access to some folks who knew about Firsby, and we do have a plentiful supply of photos from that era.

I would love to know though, two things:

1) if anyone anywhere knows these names or if their ancestors worked with them or in the same place

2) what if any, official documentation could exist today of my forbears careers?

Many thanks

junction37
14-12-2010, 9:57 PM
I have photograph of members of station staff in 1932 - would your family have been at Firsby that year.
Ian

Ann65
15-12-2010, 5:08 PM
I have photograph of members of station staff in 1932 - would your family have been at Firsby that year.
Ian

My Grandad, Arthur Elston would have been at Firsby in 1932, that was the year my uncle was born, so I know that for a fact. They didnt go back to Boston until 1939. . Arthur was a stationary engineman and they lived in a house on the station until they got a council house nearby in the village.