PDA

View Full Version : Unknown photo

maltonboy
02-06-2008, 11:18 AM
i have been going through my grandmother's photo collection and came across this photo:

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll244/maltonboy/img177.jpg

my grandma has no idea about it. has anyone got or seen a similar photo in their collection?

the only clues are as follows unfortunately:- the writing above the door in the background says "1904" and the other "Military Police Corps". There is the photographer's stamp on the back for "Halksworth Wheeler of Folkestone". They are still in business and I have been in touch with them twice and they have been as much use as a chocolate fireguard as i still have had no reply or acknowledgement!

so i was hoping that some kind person here might be able to shed some light.

regards
maltonboy

michaelpipe
02-06-2008, 11:38 AM
Assuming that it is photographed somewhere in or near Folkestone, I might be worth a shot sending a copy to the Kent Messenger archives dept to see if they can provide some identification. It has worked for me in the past.
Can't remember their address offhand (somewhere in Maidstone) Google them, it will show up.
Michael

Barnzzz
02-06-2008, 8:52 PM
I wondered if they were on some kind of day trip. The 2 gentlemen seated at either side (who I first thought were milkmen !) could be wearing drivers' uniforms ?

Mutley
02-06-2008, 9:09 PM
There are grandparents, mums and dads, kiddies and Milkmen? (I thought that too).

I think a newspaper is a good idea.
There is also the Folkstone Herald.
http://www.mediauk.com/newspapers/42057/folkestone-herald

Also if you google "Military Police Corps", Folkestone
several sites come up, there seems to have been a training camp there.

michaelpipe
02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
There have been many reports of children belonging to the milkman! This is the only known sighting en masse of all milkmen and their offspring!!!

Michael

maltonboy
03-06-2008, 7:12 AM
There are grandparents, mums and dads, kiddies and Milkmen? (I thought that too).

Mum and i both thought milkmen but my grandma muttered something about them being the drivers.

If you look at the boys there seem to be about 3 or 4 different types of school (?) uniform. Also a few of the girls seem to be wearing a uniform. Could it be the evacuee's and their parents at a meeting point, in this case Folkestone Military Police Corps?

I have been in touch with the Kent Messenger so am waiting for a reply from them.

regards
maltonboy

Ladkyis
03-06-2008, 8:23 AM
Drivers of charabancs (coaches) wore a uniform like that. In the 1920s and 1930s it was considered the height of summer chic to go on a day trip. They began early in the morning and arrived home late at night. The destination could be really far away - as much as 50 miles sometimes.
A group photograph was absolutely essential as it was probably the only lasting reminder of, what was for some, the summer holiday.

I know this because my father used to drive the charas for a local firm and he told me all about some of the day trips to Barry Island or even Penarth!

Mutley
03-06-2008, 2:28 PM
I spotted this paragraph

'With the loss of men to the armed forces between 1940 and 1945, police forces were supplemented by Police War Reserves - men with no previous police experience. Those in Kent were given a basic training at the Folkestone Training School at 'The Cottage Homes', Cheriton. This came to an end in 1945.'

http://www.kent-police-museum.co.uk/core_pages/index.shtml

Could this be a picture of the men and their families at the end of the training. There are many men in their best suits of about the right age and nothing to stop the local milkmen being in the reserves:)