PDA

View Full Version : Joseph WICKENS

rwickins
01-06-2008, 11:01 PM
I am trying to find birth/christening information for Joseph Wickens, born 1811 in Rotherfield, Sussex. I have been at a standstill for quite a few months now because I have been unable to track down any information regarding his parents. Areas of interest for this bunch are Tunbridge Wells, Rotherfield, Uckfield, and Boarshead.

I know that Joseph was born in, or possibly around, 1811 in Rotherfield, Sussex thanks to his census information. He was married in 1840 to Mary Ann Skinner and his occupations have been listed as both higgler and farmer. Joseph and Mary Ann had four children: Angelica, sometimes referred to as Angelina (b. 1841), Albert Robert (b. 1852), Julia J. (b. 1853), and Alice Mary Ann (b. 1863). I know the most about Angelica and Albert but Julia and Alice are proving mysteries for me. I am unable to find any information on Julia past the 1871 census, she was then 18 years old. As for Alice, the last I can find of her is the 1881 census, then 18 years old. It seems these women disappeared into thin air after their 18th year of living! I know they must have married but I can’t for the life of me find any marriage documents. |banghead|

Joseph is my biggest brickwall however, as I simply can’t dig any deeper without the names of his mother and father. I have always had a hunch that his father’s name was William, but trying this avenue hasn’t worked for me other than finding a Last Will and Testament that provided no concrete proof of relation. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you so much in advance! |hug|

Mona
01-06-2008, 11:28 PM
You will find the name of Joseph's father on his marriage certificate to Mary Ann Skinner. It is in the index - Mar 1840, Tunbridge, 5, 466.

There is a marriage of a Julia Wickens in June 1876 to either Arthur Edwards or Charles Bridger.
In 1881 census there is a Julia Jane Edwards, age 26 with a daughter Caroline Alice, she is shown as married but no husband at home. Could be your Julia?

Alice Mary A Wickens marriage in Dec Qtr 1883 to either James Lucas or Edward Bliss!

rwickins
01-06-2008, 11:52 PM
Thank you so much for all your help, Mona! Words can't describe how grateful I am for this information. I am so happy right now I could burst! I will start looking into Julia's and Alice's marriage possibilities immediately and let you know how it pans out. |hug|

rwickins
03-06-2008, 2:12 AM
Thought I would come back and spread the good news! All of Mona's tips led me in the right direction. |jumphappy

Julia Wickens married Arthur Edwards in 1876 and they welcomed a daughter, Caroline Alice, in 1879. Caroline later went on to marry in 1905 at the age of 16 years old!

Alice Wickens married Edward James Bliss in 1883 and they welcomed a daughter, Elsie Angelica, in 1886. Elsie later went on to marry in 1910.

I am going to be very busy these next few weeks fleshing out these new branches of my family while waiting for Joseph and Mary Ann's marriage certificate to arrive. I am so excited! |laugh1|

Zills
22-06-2013, 2:25 PM
Hello I am new to this site and I was just scrolling and I found you .......I have got Joseph WICKENS in my tree but mine was born 1776 in Rotherfield he is father in law of 3rd great grand uncle to me and as I live NOT far in Sussex England maybe I can try to help :aureola:
I am not sure if I can give out my email address !!!!!!!
regards
Zills

Sue Mackay
22-06-2013, 3:36 PM
I am not sure if I can give out my email address !!!!!!!

Never a good idea on the open forum. However, by clicking on a user name, you can opt to send a private message. That might be a good thing in this instance anyway, as the original poster has not visited for a couple of years, but a private message should generate an e-mail alert.