PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Grandfathers Birthplace

Yvonne Mc
30-05-2008, 1:31 PM
i have check parish records and cannot find my granfathers birthplace nor any other mention of him can any one suggest another place to look

David Annis
30-05-2008, 1:46 PM
Hi there.
I should start by letting all the keen searchers on here know who you are looking for and where abouts your Grandfather came from.
Then I should have a good nose round the site as there is information everywhere on here. Post your questions in the relevent sections and you will get swamped by the replies.

Where is this sunny England you live in? I must go there some time.
Cheers
Dave.
Ps welcome to the site|wave|

Mutley
30-05-2008, 2:03 PM
Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

It depends on the time scale, there may be census records or Birth, Marriage and Death Records. There could be military records or trade directories.

Please tell us his name, when and where he may have been born, parents, wife, children, occupation in fact everything you know and we will have a look and see if we can fill in the gaps for you.

Good Luck

Yvonne Mc
31-05-2008, 9:12 AM
his name is George McNelly, he was born on 6th january 1909, his fathers name was John McNelly but unsure of mothers name.

Jan1954
31-05-2008, 9:21 AM
Hi there,

I've had a look at the GRO for England and Wales and there is no birth registered for a George McNELLY in the March quarter for 1909, which is where I would expect him to be.

However, there is a George McNALLY resgistered in Leigh, Volume 8c, page 296.

I checked the next quarter for George McNELLY, but he's not there either.

Have you any details about where he was born?

Thanks,

Peter Goodey
31-05-2008, 12:23 PM
i have check parish records

If you're saying that you have checked parish registers, which ones have you checked? If you've done that you must have an idea where he was born.

Otherwise, on the information provided you just need to apply to GRO for a birth certificate with the proviso that the date of birth must be 6 Jan 1909.

See Jan1954's message - you would be wise to consider both McNelly and McNally as well as similar variants such as McAnally.

Yvonne Mc
01-06-2008, 7:20 AM
Hi there,

I've had a look at the GRO for England and Wales and there is no birth registered for a George McNELLY in the March quarter for 1909, which is where I would expect him to be.

However, there is a George McNALLY resgistered in Leigh, Volume 8c, page 296.

I checked the next quarter for George McNELLY, but he's not there either.

Have you any details about where he was born?

Thanks,

i know that his father was irish so he could of been born in ireland but im not sure of where in ireland (republic/nothern) or the date when his parents moved here and his name definately wouldnt of been McNally/McAnally