PDA

View Full Version : why won't netscape open?

Ladkyis
29-12-2004, 7:22 PM
I have a new puter with whistles and bells and stuff and it worked fine right up to the moment the card was put in to network to my husbands computer. 36 hours later and I can once again access the internet but only by using IE I have Netscape7.2 downloaded and installed but it will not open. I had 5 hours when OE refused to do anything when I clicked on it. Any Ideas why I can't use Netscape? NO Rod I know what you think of Netscape but I like it.
Could all suggestions be in proper english please with no puterese - I am a confirmed computer illiterate. I can talk the talk as long as no-one asks me what it really means
Ann

Neil Wilson
29-12-2004, 8:06 PM
Not sure about Netscape, and this could be taking the bull by the horns :eek: but try to un-install Netscape using Start - Settings - Control Panel - install/uninstall programs, the select Netscape.

Then re-install it. I just had a problem with opening Word and this 'solved it'.
All the best with it.

Neil

Ladkyis
29-12-2004, 10:47 PM
we uninstalled it and then downloaded it again and installed it but the result was the same - I click on the shortcut and nothing happens, I go through the start button and find the program that way, click on it and nothing happens. I even tried using the run as... thingy but absolutely nothing happens. Its as though I am tapping it on the shoulder and after the initial reaction it ignores me. They hate me you know, computers, they simply hate me

Ann

Guy Etchells
30-12-2004, 12:08 AM
Try openining the folder you saved Netscape in (possibly C:\\program files\ netscape) and click on the Netscape icon in there.
If it does not run from that icon it has not been installed properly.
Cheers
Guy

Ladkyis
30-12-2004, 12:22 AM
So how do I get it to install properly? I have uninstalled it and then downloaded it again from the netscape website and then sat and watched as it oh so slowly downloads - even with broadband it is achingly slow and I will be having words with the ISP about that just as soon as their help thingy is working - and then I install and then, well I can click on just about anything connected with it and it DOES NOT work!! sorry for shouting but this machine is driving me insane!

Ann

Docwras
30-12-2004, 9:02 AM
Sometimes when a program doesn't install correctly it's because you have other programs still running on your PC. Those other programs are using files (often .dll's = dynamic link libraries) which the installation needs to write to but which it's not allowed to by Windows as they are in use by the other application.

Simple answer is, to turn off all other programs when installing something - if it's a live install and your PC is connected to the internet then leave on your firewall/antivirus but close down all your other program, if you're installing off line from a downloaded file then you can scan the downloaded file with your a/v first and even turn off your a/v program if you need to - remember to put it back on before you go online though!

Once you've installed, reboot your system even if the installer doesn't say you should - some programs just won't run properly until you've done so.

Also note that if you're running Windows XP Pro you may have to run the installation as admin rather than user - XP Home shouldn't have this problem.

If all this fails and you still can't get Netscape to run, consider using a different browser - my recommendation would be Firefox (from Mozilla) but Opera would be another option if you don't mind the small ads on the free version.