PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Pilkington Waterman

Cassie2008
29-05-2008, 1:34 PM
Hi
I have today received a marriage certificate for George Pilkington and May Ann Giles Whitehead (May 19 1850) in Leeds residence Henry Street. George's father is written as Thomas Pilkington Waterman. This has thrown me off course a little because I had George's father as someone else because of some census returns that seemed to match I now have to take that line off my tree. I have seen in one of the threads that a watermen CD can be bought from practical research indexes. (How do I contact these?). I am quite disappointed that I have been tracing the wrong line of Pilkington altogether! I now know that George and Mary Ann are definite and Thomas is on the certificate. Ive tried ancestry and a few others for both Thomas Pilkington and Mary Ann's father William Giles Whitehead ( who was a dyer) but cant seem to see any that fit.

larkspur
29-05-2008, 2:44 PM
The only George Pilkingtons with fathers Thomas I could find in the Yorkshire area are as follows
George Amos Pilkington bap 6 July 1827 Wakefield parents Thomas and Mary Pilkington
George Pilkington bap 7 Jun 1829 St Johns Wakefield parents Thomas Pilkington and Mary Glover.
one of them is on the 1851 census in Wakefield with a wife Mary Ann and 1 month old baby Eliza he works on the railway.

Cassie2008
29-05-2008, 3:50 PM
The only George Pilkingtons with fathers Thomas I could find in the Yorkshire area are as follows
George Amos Pilkington bap 6 July 1827 Wakefield parents Thomas and Mary Pilkington
George Pilkington bap 7 Jun 1829 St Johns Wakefield parents Thomas Pilkington and Mary Glover.
one of them is on the 1851 census in Wakefield with a wife Mary Ann and 1 month old baby Eliza he works on the railway.

Hi Thanks very much for the information. The marriage certificate is 1850 and quotes George as being 21 so I think it will be Thomas and Mary Glover. Thanks ever so much. I was quite upset when I got the marriage certificate and it said father Thomas because I had a completely different set of parents and grandparents. I can now change my tree. Thanks

Mutley
29-05-2008, 6:14 PM
Cassie, our own Parish Chest has some watermen CD's though I think they are mostly the Thames.
http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=searchfor

Jan1954
29-05-2008, 6:16 PM
There is also this: http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=viewproduct&cat=&id=P26771&pageOffset=0

Cassie2008
30-05-2008, 4:11 AM
Hi Thank you very much for that information. I will try to obtain the CD.
Thank Cassie

larkspur
30-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Hi there are a lot of Pilkingtons baptised at St johns Wakefield,some to Thomas and Mary Glover some to Thomas and Mary Pilkington,possible siblings to yours. Also a marriage to Thomas Pilkington and Mary Pilkington 25 dec 1805 at All Saints Wakefield.Mary could be the daughter of George Pilkington and Elizabeth Thorp( married 10 Sept 1777 St Peters Leeds), purely speculation on my part as one of Thomas and Marys children was called Thomas Thorp Pilkington after grandma maybe.....if you put -Pilkington Wakefield -into Google it brings up a question about the Pilkington Watermen from someone called Gertie it may be worthwhile getting in touch.There is a whole site about them up there.My Pilkingtons are from Nottinghamshire.

Cassie2008
03-06-2008, 8:50 PM
Hi there are a lot of Pilkingtons baptised at St johns Wakefield,some to Thomas and Mary Glover some to Thomas and Mary Pilkington,possible siblings to yours. Also a marriage to Thomas Pilkington and Mary Pilkington 25 dec 1805 at All Saints Wakefield.Mary could be the daughter of George Pilkington and Elizabeth Thorp( married 10 Sept 1777 St Peters Leeds), purely speculation on my part as one of Thomas and Marys children was called Thomas Thorp Pilkington after grandma maybe.....if you put -Pilkington Wakefield -into Google it brings up a question about the Pilkington Watermen from someone called Gertie it may be worthwhile getting in touch.There is a whole site about them up there.My Pilkingtons are from Nottinghamshire.

Thank you very much for that information I wasnt sure whether the info I had regarding George and Elizabeth Thorpe was correct, but it seems to fit now.

Ronwyn Davies
01-02-2009, 5:35 AM
Marriage certificate for George Pilkington and May Ann Giles Whitehead (May 19 1850) in Leeds.

Hi,

Just new to all this. We have a Elizabeth Pilkington on our family tree Died. 25th Nov 1837. Elmhill. Doonass, Co Clare, daughter of Thomas Pilkington was from 'Cragleigh' & 'Waterpark' near Ennis. Co Clare. She married 1815 to Thomas Davies who died 1822 Rossleven, Eness, Co Clare.

Just wondering any the names of above fit with any of your Pilkington family.

Cheers
Ronwyn Davies

Cassie2008
02-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi Ronwyn
Thanks for your message. If there is a link it would clear up a problem I have had about the Irish connection in my family. I was trying to find out where the Pilkingtons were from in Ireland but had drawn a blank past Thomas Pilkington etc. I am hoping that there is a connection and that will help solve my problem. I will take a note of all the dates etc and try and tie them up with my tree etc. I will be back in touch.
Best wishes Cassie

Ronwyn Davies
03-02-2009, 12:43 AM
Thomas Davies is my husbands GGG Grandfather

Will try and get this in order
Sons of

Thomas Daveis died 1822 in Eness. Co. Clare/ Elizabeth Pilkington
Thomas Pilkington Davies from Co. Clare
Thomas Harrison Davies from Co Galway - Australia
Charles Davies - Australia
John Davies - Austalia
Ray Davies - Australia My Husband
Barry Davies - Australia Our son

Cassie2008
05-03-2009, 6:32 PM
Hi thanks for your message. I am very grateful for the info you have given on the Pilkingtons as I have been trying to get to the bottom of the mystery of where they were from in Ireland.
Best wishes Cassie

Gortlevane
05-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Here are some Pilkington graves in Ennis, Co. Clare
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/don_tran/graves/drumcliff_old_graveyard_surname4.htm
Declan

Cassie2008
06-11-2009, 6:57 PM
Hi Thank you very much for your link regarding Pikingtons in Ennis Co Clare.
Its very kind of you.
I am looking forward to going on the link