PDA

View Full Version : Look up please 1910 census Robert Barrie Liddell

LancsLass
27-05-2008, 8:40 AM
Please would someone be kind enough to look up Robert Barrie Liddell in the 1910/1920 Census? I simply can't afford to pay Ancestry any more for the US access!

Robert Barrie Liddell born 27 March 1858 Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire, Scotland.

He arrived Ellis Island 10/5/1909 age 56 on the Ship Columbia having (apparently) deserted his wife and 9 children. They were certainly left at home in Scotland and his wife never heard from him again.

Hopefully his name is unusual enough that he will at least appear in the 1910 so we can find out a bit more about what happened to him.

MANY THANKS
Sarah

Julie Tyrell
27-05-2008, 9:14 AM
Hi

I might have found him in 1920. There is no definite match.

Robert Liddell age 67 (making d.o.b. 1853) of Scotland - parents both Scottish
He is a boarder - occupation house plumber, martial status - widow.

He is living in East Haven Town, East Haven, Connecticut.

I will keep digging.

Julie

Julie Tyrell
27-05-2008, 9:23 AM
Hi

I am now not sure that that is him as there is another Robert Liddell born in 1853.

I have found a death for a Robert B Liddell in 1936 (no age given). Place of death Miami, Florida.

Julie

JustJean
27-05-2008, 1:40 PM
Please would someone be kind enough to look up Robert Barrie Liddell in the 1910/1920 Census? I simply can't afford to pay Ancestry any more for the US access!

Robert Barrie Liddell born 27 March 1858 Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire, Scotland.

He arrived Ellis Island 10/5/1909 age 56 on the Ship Columbia having (apparently) deserted his wife and 9 children. They were certainly left at home in Scotland and his wife never heard from him again.

Hopefully his name is unusual enough that he will at least appear in the 1910 so we can find out a bit more about what happened to him.

MANY THANKS
Sarah

Hi Sarah

The immigration record you have stated shows Robert Liddell as living in NY prior to this 1909 arrival. Matter of fact it states his wife Mrs Liddell is in NYC and that is where he is returning to. Was this a fabrication?.....Was there an earlier arrival record for him?.....or is this the wrong Robert?

Best wishes
Jean

LancsLass
28-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Julie & Jean

Thanks for your help so far, we seem to have found more mysteries than we have solved.

I have to admit that I had picked up the Ellis Island reference from a cousin also researching Robert and having read it more I see the problem that Jean alludes to. Robert was with his family in Scotland for the 1901 and previous UK censuses of course that does not preclude him having ever been to New York prior to 1909 but is seems a bit unlikely and doesn't really fit the family story. (Although after many years of research I find large pinches of salt fairly essential with family stories.!)

The Ellis Island Records do point to more than one Robert Liddell from Scotland being in the US for the 1920 census so Julie has also highlighted the problem.

Julie - do you know if I can see more of the death certicate? For some states I know you can get a full copy on-line. Do you know anything about Florida? I think that may be my next piece of research.

THanks for both your help so far, will try to find more to work with.

Sarah