PDA

View Full Version : Master Tailor

quiffdo
26-05-2008, 4:44 PM
Hi all

One of my rellies was a tailor in Cheshire and on the census he often had young lads living at his home or their on the day as apprentices.

Does anyone know if there would be records on him as he trained other people?

Regards
Danny

Peter Goodey
26-05-2008, 4:50 PM
Apprenticeships were just private arrangements at that time. Your best chance of finding anything would be if the local Guardians had arranged for a pauper youth to be apprenticed to him.

Depending on his age you might find a record of you ancestor's apprenticeship.

quiffdo
26-05-2008, 4:57 PM
Thanks Peter

Ill look into that

Danny

Geoffers
26-05-2008, 7:17 PM
It depends on whenyour chap was a master tailer. If in the 18th century, you may find reference to him in the Board of Stamps Apprenticeship Records. A facsimile copy of the original books is available for the earlier records, from the Parish Chest (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=viewproduct&cat=&id=P15478&pageOffset=0)

Peter Goodey
26-05-2008, 7:18 PM
I should have added that you stand a chance of finding an apprenticeship from 1710 up to 1811. See -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=295

maltonboy
26-05-2008, 9:22 PM
In my family tree i have a master tailor journeyman, so excuse the ignorance but what is the difference? :confused:

regards
maltonboy

Peter Goodey
27-05-2008, 6:56 AM
master tailor journeyman

He could have been a 'journeyman' or a 'master' but not both at the same time. I'd recheck the source, if I were you :D :D :D

maltonboy
27-05-2008, 7:16 AM
My apologies. It's my dysl.....dark glasses!

regards
maltonboy

maltonboy
27-05-2008, 4:30 PM
Looked at my certs againand found that on his marriage cert he was a journeyman tailor and on his wife's death he was a master tailor.

does this seem correct? i've done a search on journeyman and found the definition. were they a journeyman and after enough experience become a master?

regards
maltonboy

Marie C..
14-12-2008, 3:37 PM
Yes, usually.
A journeyman had served an apprenticeship or training and when he was more experienced and working for himself he became a master tailor or whatever.

Joebuttler
25-06-2019, 6:24 PM
hello,
Any online website for booking to Tailor?

Lesley Robertson
26-06-2019, 7:00 AM
Could you please clarify, Joe. Are you looking for Tailor the name, or the occupation?

PS Please remove the commercial website from your profile. We don't allow them.