PDA

View Full Version : Workhouse or Home for Unmarried Mothers

Betty Willson
29-12-2004, 6:01 AM
Does anyone know of such aplace where an unmarried girl might live, at the time of the 1851 census around the Ashford, Staines or Isleworth area of Middlesex? I realize that it is highly unlikely such a place existed. Also, what do you think the defination of a nursechild on the 1851 census would be?

Peter Goodey
29-12-2004, 9:02 AM
For your first question, check out the records of the Staines Union which I guess are at the London Metropolitan Archives.

A 'nursechild' was what what we might now term a fostered child or otherwise being taken care of by another family.

Betty Willson
02-01-2005, 5:54 AM
For your first question, check out the records of the Staines Union which I guess are at the London Metropolitan Archives.

A 'nursechild' was what what we might now term a fostered child or otherwise being taken care of by another family.

Thank you for your reply. I think I found my grandfather as a nursechild on the 1851 census. His name was not correct (the surname was even spelled incorrectly) but there was a connection between my great grandmother and the head of the house on the census. It is only a hunch on my part. The age 2 years was correct. Can you tell me please how or what I should do for information about "Staines Union"? I live in Australia. My great grandmother had a second child in October 1851, whose birth she registered at Staines. Thanks and best wishes, Betty

Peter Goodey
02-01-2005, 9:26 AM
I've dug my notes out for you.

Unfortunately it appears that many of the records for the Staines Union were destroyed by fire in 1929. Some records seem to have been inherited by Ashford Hospital (which the old workhouse later became) and have survived. Perhaps the ones that are likely to be of most use to you are the birth registers 1848 to 1943. However, they may not tell you much more than the birth certificate tells you (I assume you do have it?)

If you want to pursue it, this page

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/corporation/family-research/registerSearchForm.asp

has the database search form where you can search for the records you're interested in and a link to their "Family History Research Service".

Personally, I suspect that it might be a waste of money in this case but then it's your money, not mine - only you can decide ;)

I'd offer to have a quick peek on your behalf but I'm not planning to be there again for a month or so.

Out of interest, what does the birth certificate say?

Betty Willson
04-01-2005, 7:52 AM
Thanks again Peter Goody. The birth certificate says Col No. 26, Born sixth Oct 1851, 5 P.M. Ashford, Alfred Frank, Boy, Name of Mother Fanny Nelhams, Signature Fanny Nelhams Mother Ashford, Reg. seventh Nov 1851, Reg. District Staines Sub-District of Sunbury, County of Middlesex. This is my grandfather's younger brother. I am not really interested so much in his birth. I'd just like to find some sort of registration or baptismal record for my grandfather. Most of all I'd like to find a record of my great grandmother, Fanny Nelham's birth and know the correct name of her mother. On the census of 1841, it is Mary but on her death certificate it is a completely different name. I have spent quite a bit of money already trying to solve this research problem and I am definately not rich. (rather poor, actually) I didn't even know my grandfather and his brother were born before Fanny married before I got the "research bug". Now I have started, I just want to get it correct. By the way Fanny was educated as she started a school in Australia which was taken over by the gov. of the day 1869 and she was appointed the first Head Mistress.

Peter Goodey
11-01-2005, 3:40 PM
Sorry I missed this earlier

Chances are she was with mother or another family member when she gave birth.

It might be constructive to look at the 1851 census where the Sunbury sub-district occupies folios 1 to 220 of piece 1696. That's 440 or so pages...bit of a haul but quite possible. Although perhaps there's a name index available.

You never know what clues you might find to lead on to the information you really want.

Betty Willson
13-01-2005, 11:51 PM
Thanks very much for your suggestion Peter. I did search through tapes of the 1851 census for Surrey (Red Lion Street, was Fanny's address as a child), Ashford, Staines and surrounding areas as well as Isleworth and could not find her. My grandfather was said to be born at Ashford, about 1848, I think. Because I could not find Fanny on the 1851 census, I though that perhaps she was in some type of institution awaiting the birth of her seond child. I am really happy to try anything so perhaps I should try the ensus tapes again. Betty

Fulhamster
14-01-2005, 2:29 PM
Hiya Betty!
Have you tried this site?

http://www.workhouses.org/

Is the Red Lion Street in Richmond and do you know what number she lived at?
I shall be there tomorrow and could take some photos of how it is now if you like!
I shall contact you soon about look ups as I shall be going into town and can use your requests as practice!

Betty Willson
28-01-2005, 5:48 AM
Thanks for your help Reg. I've just received a death certificate for Fanny's father. He died at Red Lion Street 1857. There is no number given. The informant was Mary Isabella Birch so I am more puzzled than ever now.

Fulhamster
31-01-2005, 2:17 PM
Thanks for your help Reg. I've just received a death certificate for Fanny's father. He died at Red Lion Street 1857. There is no number given. The informant was Mary Isabella Birch so I am more puzzled than ever now.

Hiya Betty!
Perhaps we should ask if SKS with the 1851 census would be so kind as to look for Mr Nelhams at Red Lion Street, Richmond?

All the very,
Best Reg. :D

Betty Willson
05-02-2005, 1:48 AM
Thanks Reg for replying. I have found Robert Nelhams and Mary? and the youngest child Harriet on the 1851 census at Red Lion Street but no number is mentioned. What does SKF stand for? I have never been able to find a record of my great grandmother (Fanny) being born anywhere. Neither do I know for sure her mother's name. Best wishes, Betty