PDA

View Full Version : NEW TELEPHONE SCAM?

Frank W
24-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Phone call from someone with non-English accent - "calling from BMR"

"has a member of your family had an accident within the past two and a half years?

Caller would not identify the accident victim, and would not give any supporting info as to the real reason for calling.

!471 had not got callers telephone number or details.

BMR does not seem to appear in a Google search on "Accident claims"

Maybe a trawl to find possible claimants, or a preliminary to a phishing scam involving disclosure of personal details. Anyone receiving this sort of unsolicited call might consider the following courses of action:

1. (Preferred and easiest option) Ignore it and hang up. Check 1471 immediately for caller phone details.

2. Dream up a fictitious accident victim and see if that will elicit further info from the caller as to the origin of the alleged accident information (without disclosing genuine personal or family information)

3. Ask for full details of caller's business details (Full name of Company, location of Head Office address, and telephone number, and phone number of caller for return call )

4. If unhappy or distrustful of caller, or if caller refuses to provide answers to reasonable questions, report as possible scam. Crimewatch may be able to advise, and Google search should give other URLs and phone numbers of interested authorities.

Do'nt give out any personal info of your own or family members unless it is absolutely certain that the call is not fraudulent.

Regards........Frank W

busyglen
24-05-2008, 1:04 PM
Frank, I had once such call yesterday! I answered the call, and couldn't understand a word they said, so I asked them to repeat it. It still didn't make sense, so I asked why they were calling, and was told that they believed that someone in my household had an accident in the past two years. I said that `no' they had got there facts wrong, and put the phone down!

I am so fed up with these calls, especially when they come through when I have my hands in water or whatever! I usually put the phone down as soon as I know what they are about, and if there is a pause when I pick it up, I know my number has been picked out by a computer, and put the phone down again. I feel sorry for all of the poorly paid people abroad, that have to do this to earn money!

Glenys

Mary Anne
24-05-2008, 3:38 PM
We have so many of these (not the specific accident-related one, but other solicitation of all kinds), we have subscribed to *call display* and let every number we don't recognize go to the answering machine. If they are legit they will leave a message!

Frank W
24-05-2008, 4:13 PM
Hi Glen

Looks like we both move in the same exalted circles, even though we are in different counties!

Most of these unwanted calls can be recognised immediately, but once in a while a new one comes along, and if it suggests traffic accidents or other emergencies it can catch you off guard initially. I thought it might be worth posting to alert other sufferers early.

Regards........Frank W

Sandyhall
24-05-2008, 4:13 PM
We have BT Caller Preference Service which means we are supposed to not get any of these Cold Calls but they still get through, I now ask where they got my name from, who the company are and then tell them I am going to Report them to BT.

How's this one for cheek the other Sat morning I was out of the house and my daughter answered the phone. The female person on the other end asked if Tara (not real name) lived next door. "Stupid" daughter (sometimes wonder about her) said yes she did (we knew Tara and she was just staying next door temporary) thinking this was a friend of Tara's daughter asked who she was, so as to tell Tara someone had called looking for her, I come in at the end of conversation and ask why are they using our number to call Tara on when she lives next door. Who were they my daughter says they wouldn't give her there name, I did 1471 and rang the number back, guess what its a Tracing Agency looking for Tara, did I give them a B********g how dare they ring my house asking questions about my neighbors, oh we thought you would like to help us was the reply. I was absolutely gob smacked as the saying goes, why would I want to help them. Luckily Tara has moved on to pastures new and I wont be telling anyone where she's gone to.
Sandy

v.wells
24-05-2008, 4:54 PM
We have so many of these (not the specific accident-related one, but other solicitation of all kinds), we have subscribed to *call display* and let every number we don't recognize go to the answering machine. If they are legit they will leave a message!

Last week there was an "Anonymous Caller" that phoned about 4 times over 2 days, finally I anwered the phone and presed buttons to accept the call and It was our doctors' office trying to set up an important appointment for my son. Great Heavens! I have since added the number to our phone list. Unless it is a number we recognize we let the machine pickup and there is never a message left! |moon|

Mary Anne
24-05-2008, 7:32 PM
That's so weird, Vanessa, why would they not leave a NUMBER for goodness sake?!

manxy1
24-05-2008, 9:21 PM
I saw this recently and if you have one of those cold caller types asking about insurance, double glazing etc, then this radio chat show message could just be worth listening too.
(Note:it takes a while to load, but I thought it humorous)

http://howtoprankatelemarketer.ytmnd.com/

Jan1954
24-05-2008, 9:25 PM
We have the answer-phone on all the time. It helps to filter out the mother-in-law :D

manxy1
24-05-2008, 9:27 PM
I saw this recently and if you have one of those cold caller types asking about insurance, double glazing etc, then this radio chat show message could just be worth listening too.
(Note:it takes a while to load, but I thought it humorous)

http://howtoprankatelemarketer.ytmnd.com/

Alternatively, Get a special mobile number, linked to your own mobile and you get paid 2p per minute for Telesales (or anyone else for that matter) to call you! Suddenly these irritating telesales calls become a lot more interesting and you make money at their expense.

tony vines
26-05-2008, 1:18 PM
Sandy mentions the caller preference service operated by BT. I understood this to work well only where the callers are from within the UK and certainly as subscribers ourselves we generally only seem to get annoying calls from people with foreign accents and on poor quality lines. It also helps if you are both out at work all day!

If correct that means that CPS is not effective in blocking callers from outside the UK (including non-UK call centres). A couple of posters referred to difficult accents so maybe this proves my point.

Jane Gee
07-11-2008, 6:28 PM
I have the telephone preference service and woe betide anyone who rings up selling anything because this grumpy cat firstly asks if they have heard of the telephone preference service this usually does the trick. If they persist I give them very short shrift and put the phone done.

susan-y
07-11-2008, 6:38 PM
Although Canada has just started a "do not call" registry our local police were on the news yesterday talking about the latest scam... Its targeting seniors in particular and tells them a family member ( grandchild) has been in an accident in a foreign country and needs money deposited in an account right away for medical expenses.... Police are saying that some seniors have fallen for this as so many 'grandchildren" are travelling and they don't know where they are.

Sue

v.wells
07-11-2008, 7:06 PM
PLEASE, if anyone gets a horrible call like that get their station number, badge ID and phone your local police station to confirm the details. AND DON'T SEND ANYTHING!

pottoka
09-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Last week there was an "Anonymous Caller" that phoned about 4 times over 2 days, finally I anwered the phone and presed buttons to accept the call and It was our doctors' office trying to set up an important appointment for my son. Great Heavens! I have since added the number to our phone list. Unless it is a number we recognize we let the machine pickup and there is never a message left! |moon|

That's so weird, Vanessa, why would they not leave a NUMBER for goodness sake?!

A doctor's surgery will not leave a reply on an answering machine for any of several reasons, for example:
1) they might not have got the right number
2) the message might be heard by another family member who does not know of the problem/what is going on
3) the person who receives the message could panic if they are not expecting it
Source: a doctor http://bestsmileys.com/medical/8.gif

NickM
09-11-2008, 1:50 PM
We have BT Caller Preference Service which means we are supposed to not get any of these Cold Calls but they still get through, I now ask where they got my name from, who the company are and then tell them I am going to Report them to BT.

The Telephone Preference Service does not cover calls from outside the UK, unfortunately.

JohnN
09-11-2008, 8:16 PM
These calls bring out the 'little devil' in me.

I usually say "I'm sorry, I can't hear you very well (usually true), would you hold on a moment please?" I then put the phone down on the table and go back to what I was doing before the phone rang...

When I come back 10 minutes later, I find that they've given up and hung up.

Nasty, but curiously satisfying!

|nutkick|