PDA

View Full Version : Corsican Baptisms ?

markv
21-05-2008, 7:10 PM
How would I go about finding a Baptism circa 1822 in Corsica ?
Any help much appreciated.

mark

Jan1954
21-05-2008, 7:20 PM
This looks like a good place to start - unless someone else on the forum knows different ;)

http://corsicacorsica.homestead.com/

markv
22-05-2008, 1:24 PM
thanks,

I think that site will keep me busy for quit a while :-)

mark

Colin Moretti
22-05-2008, 5:58 PM
If you don't know where in Corsica the baptism took place this site might help:
http://www.geopatronyme.com/
(at a quick glance I couldn't see it listed in the CorsicaCorsica site).

It only lists places of birth from 1891 but names can be very localised there. I went on holiday to the island a few years ago and found one cemetery stuffed full with MORETTIs (great excitement, was I descended for a Corsican bandit?), I subsequently looked in lots more cemeteries while I was there and found not one more with any MORETTIs. It was clear that two or three surnames predominated in each village and the next village had a completely different set of names.

Colin

pottoka
30-09-2008, 6:50 PM
How would I go about finding a Baptism circa 1822 in Corsica ?
Any help much appreciated.

mark

Have you had any luck with your search? I've come across a French genealogical website where there are volunteers for most French departments who will go to the Archives départementales (the equivalent of a County Record Office) and look up records for people who can't go in person.

Corsica is split into two for this: Haute Corse and Corse du Sud, so it would help to have an idea where the baptism took place. You could then get an "extrait de naissance" (usually free in France) which will give you the full names of the parents.

Colin Moretti
01-10-2008, 7:42 AM
Hello pottoka

Can you post the URL for the site you mention? I'm sure that there must be others who will be interested.

Thanks

Colin

pottoka
02-10-2008, 11:30 AM
The site is genealogie.com but you will have to put it into your search engine as it's a commercial site. Some parts are free, however, such as the forums. To find volunteers, click on "forums", then on "main tendue" and then look for a thread with the n° of the département that you need. AD stands for Archives départementales which are the equivalent of County Record Offices.