PDA

View Full Version : Snowling

spike
28-12-2004, 1:28 PM
Can anyone help with this family, I have a Hannah Snowling born app1824 place unknown, married Joseph Rush at Hitcham 1846, her father was Robert, I would like to know if anyone knows anything about where Hannah was born, again when mum was alive she said she thought she came from Brightwell, but I cant seem to find anything on her, I've even visited the churchyard to see if there are any graves there, but no luck, the witnesses at their marriage were Easy Peake, who is buried at Hitcham, Rebecca Smith and William Wheatley, (if thats any help, I dont know)

Pead
27-01-2011, 3:20 PM
Hi

The family moved to Nacton for the 1851 and 1861 Census. Hannah's place of birth is recorded as Shotley in 1851 and Brightwell in 1861 , both in Suffolk. Joseph was born in Hitcham. I hope this helps.

John Pead

Mutley
27-01-2011, 8:20 PM
Hello John and welcome to the forum :seeya:

The original poster of the query has left the forum. If you look on the left hand side of the post you will see the word
'guest' without any details about them.

We leave the thread active because there are often other people researching the same name, hopefully your reply will be of help to them.

Good Luck

Richard1955
27-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Have you tried 'googling' the name Hannah Snowling.
There are a few enquiries from various people that have some information.
Could possibly be you John the elusive

Dennington
13-01-2015, 11:06 AM
A little late in the day, but here is some information that may be of assistance to you.
By the way Grandma was right!
You should be aware that the SNOWLAND surname of Suffolk has been inter-changeable with that of SNOWLING for many years. n.b there are variations too...as we shall see!
There were clusters of the family to be found living in the Badingham, Beccles, Brundish, Dennington, Fressingfield, Ipswich, Laxfield, Melton and Metfield areas of Suffolk for the last 300 years.
They were also to be found in the Rockland, Toft Monks & Broome areas of south east Norfolk.
I have been able to find Mary Ann as being baptised at St Martin, Nacton, Suffolk on the 17th March 1826 under the surname of “SNOWDON”; she also had elder sisters baptised as Hannah SNOWLAND at St John, Brightwell with Foxhall on the 15th Jun 1823 and Elizabeth SNOWDON 9th September 1821 at (possibly) Nacton.
The girls were daughters of Robert & Mary Ann SNOWDON (nee DEACON), who were married on the 8th July 1818 at St Martin, Nacton, Suffolk.
Brightwell, Nacton, Foxhall are all situated near the Suffolk Showground “Seven Hills” junction 58 of the A14, A12 and A1156, about 4 miles east of Ipswich. You should be aware that the House of Industry & (later) a Workhouse was situated at Nacton, which closed in 1902.
One of the witnesses attending Mary’s marriage was Easey Peak (born 1818 Billingford, Norfolk who died 1875 Bramford, Ipswich, he was married in Nacton (adjacent to Brightwell) in 1842.There were some other men of that same name living in Ipswich in the 1880's.
It may be beneficial for you to visit the Suffolk Record Office (SRO) at Ipswich to verify for yourself the various church marriage, burial & baptismal registers. I suggest that you should always record the names of all named marriage witnesses, as you never know when and where they can lead you!
The burial register should always be your first port of call before you start to traipse knee deep in wet grass around a dark, cold churchyard on a winter day! To try to accurately read a weather beaten gravestone can be very difficult in failing light! The Suffolk RO may have a burial plan of the churchyard; indicating who was buried where...you may be lucky!

christanel
13-01-2015, 9:09 PM
Hello Dennington and welcome to British-Genealogy :smile5:

Unfortunately Spike, the original poster, is no longer a member of Brit-Gen so will not receive notification of your very informative and helpful post.
However the information you provided is now available for anyone else researching this family so your contribution will be appreciated by others in the future. :smile5:
Thank you

Christina