PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help! (Please)

tbreaktim
17-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Hi all. Have just found this site and after a quick browse decided that it looks like "The place to be".
I am trying to find out about my family, and have found bits of info on about 70 persons so far. However... my own father and his parents seem to be somewhat mysterious!!
Although my father Peter White was living with us up until his death in 1970 we know very little about him. We belived his birthday was 13 may 1925 but cannot find any records of it. We do not know where he was born, although some mention of Norfolk has been made. There was also talk of him coming from a "Well to do" family. As well as a suggestion that he may have been adopted.
His father was Frederick J. (John) White. b.1892 and appears in the 1901 census RG13/934 as aged 9 living with his parents and younger brother Charles Bernard, His parents were proprietors of The Palace Hotel Grand Junction Road Brighton.
I do know that Frederick John was living at 111 Manor Road Sunbury on Thames between 1947-1958 as he appears in the phone books. (By this time he has become Frederick St.John!! White. I believe he died in 1958.
We do not who he married.
My problem is that, as I do not know much about my Grand parents it is difficult to trace my father.
If anyone can come up with any ideas I would be very grateful.

Waitabit
18-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Where is Christchurch Tim? NewZealand , UK, or somewhere else?
Would he have travelled to where you now live? Any Army service etc? This info will help to germinate 'ideas'

Wendy

Waitabit
18-05-2008, 12:41 AM
Sorry Tim, just saw that you're in UK.

Wendy

v.wells
18-05-2008, 1:03 AM
Do you have your parents marriage certificate? Does it give an occupation of your father and grandfather - this will help narrow down the choices.

Clive Blackaby
18-05-2008, 1:41 AM
His father was Frederick J. (John) White. b.1892
Hi Tim,
Can you also tell us how you know this info please? all grist to the mill to get the juices flowing!!

Where is Christchurch Reckon that's Christchurch, Dorset, UK - between Bournemouth and Isle of Wight!! :)

v.wells
18-05-2008, 1:47 AM
It would help if you included the folio and piece #'s, I have searched the 1901 and the only Charles B in Brighton did not have your Frederick on it. Are you sure of the dates. Are there no photos of him as a child, possibly with writing on the back? What about your mother - does she know anything?

I have found a Death of Frederick S. White age 75 1958 Wood Green vol 5f p 377 3Q. Perhaps we should be looking for a hyphenated surname?

tbreaktim
18-05-2008, 9:47 AM
Wow .. so many replies already!!
I Have Frederick J.in the 1901 census RG13/934/84/18 when he was living aged 9 with his brother Bernard Charles in Brighton.
I also have his parents in the 1891 census RG12/882/107/9
I have found Frederick J. in the telephone books from 1947-1958 living in Sunbury on Thames. At this time he had become Frederick St. J.!! We know this is the right frederick J. as my father was also living there when he started dating my mother. (1946). I think the key person to find is my grandmother (wife of Frederick J.).
Would I be able to find her through Electoral rolls? If so how do I get hold of or see these?
I really must thank you all for your responses... I am getting very excited about the possibility of a breakthrough at last!

v.wells
18-05-2008, 2:49 PM
Frederick White m Edith Weston Ward 1891 Portsea Island, Hampshiire vol 2b p 731 1Q

Frederick J White birth 1892 Fareham vol 2b p 546 1Q
Bernard Charles birth 1894 Fareham vol 2b p 577 1Q

tbreaktim
18-05-2008, 5:04 PM
Hi again all.
V.Wells I already have this info, but thank you for looking.
Jan1954. We always new him as Peter St. John White. But after searching for him for several months am unable to find anything.
We have always been told that the "St.John" was traditionally given to the first born boy from each generation.... This is apparently not so as his father started life as Frederick John and added the St. at a later date.

tbreaktim
22-06-2008, 9:51 AM
Hi Vanessa I now have a copy of my parents marriage cert. 26/01/1946 Lewisham London.
My father has signed it as Peter St John, but lower down the form where it says "this marriage was solemnised between" it is signed P.J.White and in brackets is "(usual signature)". Peter whites occupation is given as Photographer and his father (Frederick John White) is listed as "Author and journalist" How can I learn anything from knowing occupations? Where would I start looking. Many thanks again for your input

Jan1954
22-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi Tim,

Right. It looks like Peter's proper name included St John but he usually signed PJ White as he probably did not want to faff around with signing P StJ White - hence the comment "usual signature".

Directories of the area in which your father and grandfather lived should show them. Try Kelly's or the Post Office directories.

I find these directories fascinating as, if you look at them over a span of years, they can show if people moved house within the district covered and if so, to where. The fortunes of our ancestors can be mapped out. However, this only applies to the head of the household - they do not list the rest of the family.

You might also find advertisements for their businesses within the directories. This all helps to build up a picture of where they were and what they were doing.