PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Rosenberg East End London 19th Century

whitebriony
17-05-2008, 8:52 PM
I've drawn a blank with my maternal ancestors. I've always been told that they were German Jews who settled in the East End of London in the early 19th Century. They were originally called Rosenberg but later anglicised that to Rose (my mother's maiden name). I know that they had a factory/workshop in the East End which processed whalebone into corset stays. My great-grandfather Charles Rose was born in 1877 in Shoreditch and was an only child. I know very little aside from that. I would be very grateful for any tips or advice
Thanks very much

Mona
17-05-2008, 9:04 PM
Do you have the birth certificate of Charles Rose?
If not, on the GRO Index
there is a Charles Rose registered in Mar 1877, Shoreditch, 1c 101
and a Charles Hermann Rose, Mar 1878, Shoreditch, 1c, 83.

zippy1
17-05-2008, 9:23 PM
hi
I also found those two entries. However, I found a Charles H Rose on the 1881 census living at Provost(?) St.,St. Leonards, Shoreditch

Charles H Rose, head, mar, 37, boot(k)maker, Prussia, Germany
Selina Rose, wife, mar, 26, England, Crewe (?)
Olgar M Rose, dau, 6 New York (?) (I'm sure this isn't right but spelling unclear)
Charles H Rose, son, 3, Middlesex, Shoreditch

RG11/391/83/24

If your Charles Rose was an only child then the Charles H Rose born 1878 isn't yours :confused:

I'll continue looking for other possibilities...
Rachel :)

birdlip
18-05-2008, 3:30 AM
Hi there,

do you have your g-grandfathers Charles's marriage certificate? I think you'll need this first, to get his fathers name and occupation. Otherwise people looking for him won't know when they've found the right family. If you don't have it, perhaps we can help look for that first. Presumably, given his birth date, he would've married around the turn of the century. Do you know who he married?

regards birdlip

whitebriony
18-05-2008, 11:46 AM
I do have my great-grandfather's marriage certificate. Charles Rose married Selina Ellen Orchard of Wyke Regis (nr Weymouth), Dorset in the Parish church there on 15th November 1909. (My great grandfather was in the Royal Navy and must have been stationed at Portland to have met Selina who, to all our family's knowledge, never left Dorset). Charles' father was John Rose, a wood carver whose funeral record I have. He was buried 3rd Feb 1919 in Tottenham Cemetery so I presume he lived in that parish. I also have a burial record (not death certificate, for John's wife, Mary Ann (nee Abel) who died 13th Feb 1915 and was also buried in Tottenham Cemetery.
I would appreciate any information or even just pointing in the right direction, as John and Mary Ann are as far back as I can get - I'm not helped by the fact that the East End is teeming with Roses in the 19th Century.
Thanks very much
Briony

birdlip
18-05-2008, 1:35 PM
Hello Briony,

Thanks for that, I hope I've found something to help you here.

IGI has the marriage details for John and Mary Ann, which I'm sure you've found;

John Rose m Mary Ann Abel 16 Aug 1863 St John The Baptist, Shoreditch

If you order their marriage cert from freebmd, of course it will have the fathers name and occupation again, which will get you back another generation, perhaps to the Rosenbergs this time. I think you may not have been able to find it though, because the entry has been mixed up;

Sept 1863 Rose John Shoreditch 1c 441*
(on the same page there are 3 men, and only one woman; no Mary Ann Abel)

However, when I looked up Mary Ann Abel;

Sept 1863 Abel Mary Ann Shoreditch 1c 661* (note the different page number)
( on the same page there are 3 women and 2 men; no John Rose)

So there's been an error in the index. You can still order the certificate though.

Do you have them in all the census's? I can't find Charles Rose in 1881, and I don't have a subscription at the moment to do look ups for you. Hopefully, someone else will be able to do that if you need them.

regards birdlip

Jan1954
18-05-2008, 1:54 PM
I have just checked the GRO pages for both John and Mary and the reference is definitely volume 1c, page 441.

How the transcriber read 661, I have no idea, unless it was a slip of the fingers.

birdlip
18-05-2008, 2:00 PM
Thanks Jan

whitebriony
19-05-2008, 6:16 PM
Thanks so much - as you noticed, there has been a transcription error and I had so far not been able to get a marriage date or place. I'd also been working on an assumption that their son was born within a couple years of their marriage but obviously it took them a while as they were married in 1863 and their son was not born until 1877. We have always believed that Charles was an only child but I'm beginning to wonder and am going to see if I can turn up any children born between 1863 and 1877. This is all so exciting - I can't wait to tell my family!

birdlip
21-05-2008, 4:49 AM
That's great Briony, I'm so pleased it was helpful. Let us know how you get on, wont you?

birdlip
21-05-2008, 5:13 AM
I couldn't resist having a quick look, and found these two at St Leonards, Shoreditch, parents John ROSE and Mary Ann;

John Edward ROSE b 15 Nov 1866, ch 30/1/1867
Matilda Louisa ROSE b 30 Jan 1870, ch 20 Feb 1870

birdlip
21-05-2008, 5:27 AM
The equivalent birth entries on freebmd;

Dec 1866
ROSE John E Shoreditch 1c 182

Mar 1870
ROSE Matilda Louisa Shoreditch 1c 123